El Paso NBA team Project

Hammertime26

A project at my schools involves crating a expansion team and im in charge in creating the logos and uniforms. So far I've done little and i plan to continue working on it. Its my first time creating an logo so advice would be great! The team plays in El Paso and its nickname is the Diablos.

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w604/Hammertime26/Untitled_zpsba178c98.jpg

I see your using copperplate for your font and that font is already used by the Golden State Warriors so it doesn't make sense for two teams in the same league to use the same font. Your team would want to differentiate itself with its own font - something more appropriate for a team called the Diablos.

Also, the El Paso Diablos are a real minor league baseball team, so it doesn't make sense for this would-be NBA team to be called the same name. Yes, in the past some cities had teams from different sports use the same names (2 New York Giants and 2 St. Louis Cardinals come to mind), but now days it's not a good idea.

I do not know how in-depth this project requires you to be but El Paso does not have an arena up to NBA standards so that would mean you would have to include plans for a new arena or renovations to UTEP's arena. I think it is the Don Haskins Arena or something like that.

Also, Texas aleady has three teams. Sure, it is a big state, but do they really need a fourth? El Paso seems a bit small for the NBA. If you are open ro changes, I would consider another more realistc market like St. Louis or Kansas City.

It sounds like a fun assignment as far as homework goes.

Thanks for the advice! Sadly though its to late to change my teams name and location ( we had to finilize our teams info yesterday) so I guess I'm stuck with the diablos. I was aware there was a minor league team with the same name but didn't know they played in El Paso. As for El Paso, I think the city Is undervalued about its size. It's the 19th biggest citie in the US and has surrounding cities such as Juarez which is even bigger. And although Texas has 3 NBA teams they're a world apart, El Paso is far enough away to avoid that competition.

Lucky for me the El Paso Diablos (MiLB) are not going to stay in El Paso after 2014 and likely will drop the Diablos named so I decided to follow through with the Diablos name. So far I've finished a Road jersey and a few logos. Please help me by giving me some advice, thanks.

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w604/Hammertime26/elpaso_zpse972f3fc.png

I am from El Paso and a UTEP graduate, and I know the area with the success of the UTEP basketball team and the new awesome recruits in this years recruiting class a professional basketball team would be welcomed in the Area but there were plans to build a new massive arena near the airport but it was shot down, Don Haskins center is a good location but may be small for an NBA team. The diablos team colors are also black and red but will be gone and a new triple a baseball team will be here in the coming years there is construction for their new stadium in downtown. You could've incorporated more of el paso with the history of the area, either some kind of play with how el paso was an area where famous gunslingers such as John Wesley Hardin had been also Pancho Villa had passed through the area.

Texans_banner2.pngBroncos_banner.png

The colors are too muted for my taste. If you're going with an obvious color scheme for a diablo ,you might as well make it darker. I don't really understand the point of the triangles so maybe you could enlighten us on that. I wouldn't recommend it for just the sake of design. Just to clarify, you only plan to do the side design on the shorts? Are you trying to mimic the old NBA jersey designs or a coincidence? Either way, no complaint, it's not a big issue. I don't really like how you just put the pitchfork in the side pattern. I think you should make the pattern in the shape of a pitchfork or maybe put it near the bottom like many NBA shorts do (OKC, LAL, PHX, etc.) I think you should also change the font of the player names since all NBA jerseys use simple font for that. If I may suggest, I think you could use the star in the El Paso seal in your work somehow.

251px-Seal_of_El_Paso,_Texas.svg.png

thundersignature.png

and

sport-scarf_bucs_zpsc424092b.png

A big thing that stands out is how the city is surrounded by the mountains and the star on the mountain, maybe you can incorporate something like that as well also the area is predominantly Mexican maybe that can be incorporated even more!

Texans_banner2.pngBroncos_banner.png

This time around I added stars to the collar and Secondary logo in order to incorporate the star upon the mountain in El Paso. Alongside that I used a pitchfork pattern along the side of the jersey in replacement of the old pattern. I also added a larger pitchfork logo on the side of the shorts. Once again thanks for the advice and fell free to give advice again. I plan on adding a home and alt. jersey soon.

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w604/Hammertime26/ElPasoroughdraft2_zps3c15f628.png

Archived