How Do I Logo?

BrandMooreArt

Here's my latest rambling on logos and what makes them good. Thought this forum might enjoy: http://brandmooreart.blogspot.com/2013/09/how-do-i-logo_11.html

What I will tell you about logo design is only what I can tell you. My views on logos are defined by learning from other designers, my own education, and my own experience. . . and a lot of time being a dork and thinking about logos. If I could sum up what a logo is, it is a thumbprint. To sum up what it does, it identifies something, then communicates a message about it.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Good little read. Is the term equity as it relates to logos a new thing? I haven't heard it before. Then again I haven't been in the game that long.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Good little read. Is the term equity as it relates to logos a new thing? I haven't heard it before. Then again I haven't been in the game that long.

possibly within the last 10 years. its something i first heard in my logos and branding classes in college in 2008. ive also seen it in a couple of books. "Designing Brand Identity" by Alina Wheeler and i think the other was "The Brand Gap".

it's probably a more popular term in branding and marketing. another way to look at it is this: what's more valuable, the Coca-Cola "secret" formula, or the logo?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Agreed that it is a nice read! :)

Regarding the topic "Color" I'd throw in a couple of extra remarks though:

Make sure to define your color in Pantone, CMYK, RGB/Hex and RAL values for different reproduction purposes. If you leave it up to your printers and paint suppliers, you end up with missmatching colors all the time.

Don't chose too many colors for your logo. Most often, two or three colors works best. Ideally the look of the logo also still works when you change the color (e.g. when you want to change it to that different color palette of the packaging of product XY), when you display it "without color" (e.g. on laser engravings), when it is printed black and white and on different backgrounds.

Chose colors that make sense in your brand's environment. For instance, if environmental sustainability is important for your company and you print everything on recycled paper, you may think about including beige or off-white in your corporate color palette. As another example, if your brand is used in applications where people need to wear PPE (e.g. high visibility vests etc.), why not reflect that in your corporate colors, so their uniforms look coherent?

That'd be it for now from top of my head... :mojoto:

Archived