American Baseball League *Los Angeles Added*

NDFreek

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Orlando Orcas

est. 1999

Orlando, FL

Orlando is one of Florida's prime tourist attractions. The home to Disneyworld, Seaworld, and countless other amusement parks, it is fun for the whole family. Located in the middle of the state, getting to Orlando is only a few hours away from other major Florida cities.

Orlando was granted an ABL expansion franchise in 1997. The Orcas first took the field on April 1st, 1999. The Orcas call home Marriott Field. Shuttle buses can take tourist to the stadium from their hotels or even other amusement parks. The Orcas got their name from Seaworld's famous attraction Shamu the Killer Whale.

The Orcas have seen limited success in the ABL since their inception in 1999. They made the playoffs in both 2004 and 2007. In 2004, they pulled off the ultimate upset and won the Crawford Cup. In memory of that team, the Orcas wear throwbacks to the 04 team to celebrate their 10 year anniversary. The Orcas would change their uniforms and add new logos in the 2008 season.

a6ot.png

nyhv.png

nxa3.png

vb5p.png

ko8s.png

spacer.png

If you are going to go with a Tucson franchise, I would name them the Pueblos instead of Abq, simply because Tucson is known as "The Old Pueblo". Just my two cents! Keep up the good work.

Thanks for that info, good to hear someone from the area's opinion (assuming you're an Arizona native based on your sig). Any other C&C? I'm trying to get some and no one is giving me any haha!

spacer.png

I think your ideas behind the teams are great. Not as clean and crisp as I would like to see, but then again, Im no expert on how to correct that.

Orlando is my favorite so far, the only thing i would change is the drop down number you have on the front of the alternate jerseys, does not seem to sync well with the "O" Logo.

DLWatt.png

I think your ideas behind the teams are great. Not as clean and crisp as I would like to see, but then again, Im no expert on how to correct that.

Orlando is my favorite so far, the only thing i would change is the drop down number you have on the front of the alternate jerseys, does not seem to sync well with the "O" Logo.

I am using paint unfortunately, so all of them will have pixels. On the plus side (I guess) I do have mono so I have nothing better to do! I'll get to work on it.

spacer.png

I love this league and where your putting the teams. Keeping the markets big but smaller than a huge city. If I could give a few suggestions for names i would like to see the names Des Moines demons or iowa oaks readon and I live in the twin cities so I'd like to see what you could do withe the name Saint Paul Saints. But overall great concepts do what you want and I'm sure I'll like it!

I love this league and where your putting the teams. Keeping the markets big but smaller than a huge city. If I could give a few suggestions for names i would like to see the names Des Moines demons or iowa oaks readon and I live in the twin cities so I'd like to see what you could do withe the name Saint Paul Saints. But overall great concepts do what you want and I'm sure I'll like it!

Did you get the Iowa Oaks name from another thread

I'd prefer not to use names already used by teams. I can't use Demons because I already have a team named the Devils.

Boston Colonials

est. 1920

Boston, MA

Boston is one of America's oldest and largest cities. The city's role in the American Revolution led to it being nicknamed the "Cradle of Liberty". It is considered one of the most exciting places to visit in New England, and it's sports franchises represent the New England region well. Historical buildings, landmarks, and attractions make Boston one of America's most interesting cities.

The birth of the ABL in 1920 led to the creation of 5 teams. Along with Buffalo, Boston is the other 'Original 5' team in the Armstrong East Division. A historic franchise with many greats playing, Boston is easily considered the most storied and winningest franchise in the ABL, bringing home 19 Crawford Cups (1922, 1929, 1930, 1933, 1935, 1937, 1948, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1956, 1958, 1961, 1973, 1989, 1993, 1996, 2010 ). It is always considered "America's Team".

Retired Numbers

1 - Kevin Springsteen (2B 1956-1978)

2 - Bubba Elway (RF 1987-1999)

3 - Louis Ferguson (1B 1920-1934)

4 - Joey Batterson (CF/Manager 1940-1970)

7 - Brandon Kilbourne (3B 1978-1990)

10 - Bruce Kent (P - 1967-1973)

34 - Brent Cowsell (C - 1948-1954)

44 - Jose Martinez (2000-2009)

47 - Pablo Perez (1987-1999)

Hall Of Famers

*All Retired Numbers Belong to HOF's

kmy9.png

xzxq.png
gvw7.png
yqpv.png

spacer.png

There are a lot of block letter wordmarks in these concepts. Ever think of breaking away from this and doing a couple in script with a tail below?

Yep I have a couple of wordmarks prepared with them. I have had a tough time with using them however and for some of these, they didn't flow.

spacer.png

Moving on with the Pueblos and Armstrong West Division we have a concept that I really enjoyed. It's probably my favorite so far. Not only did I want to give off a early 2000's Twins vibe but I also used the old Devils colors.

Portland Pioneers

est. 1974

Portland, OR

Portland is a easy going and sophisticated city. Many different people with different walks of life call it home and together they all co-exist. Portland is known for its friendly nature and rich living. Due to it's proximity to the Cascade Mountains and Atlantic Ocean, Portland is a great place to visit.

Sportscaster Dave Von Sheerben sought out an ABL franchise for Portland beginning in 1955. When the city of Portland built the Portland Coliseum in 1969, the ABL realized it could take the chance and expand to the Northwest US - a region that had no pro sports at the time and granted Portland a team in 74. Von Sheerben named the team the Pioneers due to the state's history of exploration and 'that the team would pave the way for other pro teams in the Pacific Northwest'. After a mixed response, fans welcomed the Pioneers with open arms. The team failed to qualify for playoffs in its first six seasons, however in 1980 when new head coach David Roxborough took over, the team made the playoff seven consecutive times, and one the 1987 Crawford Cup. Roxborough retired from managing in 1998, and since then taken the role of GM. In 2009, they drafted his son 3B Bensen Roxborough, who many considered to be the top prospect in the nation. Benson Roxborough has made the ABL All-Star game in for 4 consecutive years (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013) and won the 2009 Armstrong Rookie of the Year.

The Pioneers have only one retired number - Roxborough. Official team policy states that "in order for a player to have their number retired, they must have played at least 5 years with the Pioneers and make the ABL HOF or have spent their whole career with the Pioneers"

Retired Numbers

86 - David Roxborough (M 1980-1998)

Hall of Fame

Manager David Roxborough

4gdh.png
64il.png
lqrz.png
jwnf.png

spacer.png

Your retired number for the Pioneers is 86 for Roxborough but the jerseys say 87 for Roxborough

"Roxborough retired from managing in 1998, and since then taken the role of GM. In 2009, they drafted his son 3B Bensen Roxborough, who many considered to be the top prospect in the nation."

spacer.png

Los Angeles Stars

est. 1957

Hollywood, CA

Los Angeles - the entertainment capital of the world. It needs no introduction, since the 1940's the city of angels has been growing profoundly and has passed up Chicago as the 2nd most populated city in America.

The Star were formed in 1957. Owned by actor Gary Denver, he wanted baseball to move into California, and wanted a profit. Originally the Hollywood Stars, they attracted many famous fans, most of which actors. Success was limited, but they have had many achievements including 4 Crawford Cup wins (1971, 1988, 1996, and 2002), the first Mexican born player in the ABL was Star's pitcher Fernanrndo Sorano in 1962, and they hold the longest winning streak by any team (23) in 1971.

Retired Numbers
1 Mattie Logan (2B 1970-1975)

3 Clyde Jenkins (RF 1959-1971)

4 Nathaniel Vega (C 1979-1987)

5 Clifford Mandoza (3B 1990-1996)

6 Alfred Gray (LF 1986-1995)

10 Fred Flores (P 1987-1995)

23 Fernarndo Sorano (P 1962-1973)

25 Alex Moss (1B 2000-2008)

98 James Hill (P 1958-1963)

Hall of Famers

Mattie Logan, Fred Flores, Fernanrndo Sorano, James Hill, Clyde Jenkins, Fred Flores

losangeleslogos.png

starshome1.png

starsaway.png

starshome.png

starsthrowbacks.png

spacer.png

Your retired number for the Pioneers is 86 for Roxborough but the jerseys say 87 for Roxborough

"

Roxborough retired from managing in 1998, and since then taken the role of GM. In 2009, they drafted his son 3B Bensen Roxborough, who many considered to be the top prospect in the nation."

That still doesn't explain it...

"

Roxborough retired from managing in 1998, and since then taken the role of GM. In 2009, they drafted his son 3B Bensen Roxborough, who many considered to be the top prospect in the nation."

That still doesn't explain it...

His son is 87? That's not even a big deal, I just want some C&C.

spacer.png

Archived