American Baseball League *Los Angeles Added*

NDFreek

">Alternate | ">Throwback

UPDATE 3/7 - Armstong East Division has been completed!

9c99.png

It's been awhile since I posted a concept.

The goal here is for me to build a baseball league that is completely fictional. I want to make at least 28 teams, 2 conferences, and a league history. The cities I will be using are from North America. Hopefully I can improve my skills based on your C&C and have some fun with it.

Albuquerque Navajos Pueblos

est. 2014
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Once what was thought of a small city in the desert is now the state's metropolis. Much like Pheonix, the Southwest city of Albuquerque, New Mexico has grown in size extremely. With nearly half a million people. While many people/tourist head for Santa Fe when heading to the Land of Enrichment, Albuquerque has a lot to offer, including it's new baseball team - the Navajos Pueblos!

The Navajo people roamed the desert of New Mexico for many years. An intelligent tribe, they made the most of their environment, and adapted to the harsh weather of the United States Southwest region. Brave, sophisticated, and courageous, the Navajo Nation is one of the largest tribes with over 300,000 people enrolled in the tribe today. As of 2011, Navajo populations are thriving in Arizona and New Mexico. One-three-quarters of the Navajo Nation lives in these two states.

​The logo used for the Navajos is a modern touch up of the red sun symbol of the Native Americans on a field of maize. This symbol can also be found on the New Mexico state flag (without the baseball in the middle, of course).

r330.png

1jll.png

2how.png

y9dv.png

uu5f.png

spacer.png

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why Is the hat so pixelated?

Does Navajos mean anything is spanish?

Nice work though. But if you are going to have a fancy font for navajos, then please have the same fancy font for "Albuquerque" and the numbers. - and the name of person

Can i see a team/division list?

tinysig.jpg

Why Is the hat so pixelated?

Does Navajos mean anything is spanish?

Nice work though. But if you are going to have a fancy font for navajos, then please have the same fancy font for "Albuquerque" and the numbers. - and the name of person

Can i see a team/division list?

The hat is pixelated because its from concepts I used a while back. Over time it's gotten harder to use, its basically a new era template, I hate the ones used in the concept templates though.

For the difference in font:

rifmozd3zmuvgev6kbf3yykbe.gif

and

q4eu8h8q5az3jyeeu7eant068.gif

As stated, Navajos is the name of a tribe that occupied New Mexico. In English it means "Navaho" according to some dictionary website.

As for divisions/teams, I have no idea. I'm still drawing most of them. I've transferred over Omaha's team to my computer to begin work on that with a digital aspect. I have no name for it though, I am very open to suggestions. I have a couple sketched up most being tornado themed.

I like the concept. My biggest complaint is the red hat. Have you thought about swapping the red & yellow in the logo to make it more visible. The logo is nearly invisible on the hat.

I see it now, might just get rid of the red hat all together.

spacer.png

I like the concept. My biggest complaint is the red hat. Have you thought about swapping the red & yellow in the logo to make it more visible. The logo is nearly invisible on the hat.

I would go so far as saying to switch the red and yellow throughout the sets, especially for the alternate. Red shirt with yellow logo will read much better and look sharper. New Mexico flag is yellow with red symbol while the Albuquerque flag is just the opposite.

800px-Flag_of_Albuquerque%2C_New_Mexico.

Follow the ABQ flag color scheme.

I would go so far as saying to switch the red and yellow throughout the sets, especially for the away. Red shirt with yellow logo will read much better and look sharper. New Mexico flag is yellow with red symbol while the Albuquerque flag is just the opposite.

800px-Flag_of_Albuquerque%2C_New_Mexico.

Follow the ABQ flag color scheme.

I should've researched this more, but THANK YOU!

spacer.png

Alright, this is where things get fun. I get to write my own history of a team! Get ready for some outrageous stories.

Georgia Devils

est. 1992

Savannah, Georgia

Savannah was the first settlement in Georgia. Settled by James Oglethorpe in 1733, it was going to be his paradise - no Catholics, no lawyers, no liquor, no slaves. That all changed in the mid 1700's when settlers from North Carolina came down. Full of history from the Civil War, and beautiful architecture, Savannah is always considered one of America's most aesthetic cities.

In 1992, a Georgia led business group led by non other than famed country musician, Charlie Daniels wanted to put a baseball team in the Georgia area. After battling with Little Rock, AK for the newest team to be in the Southeast region, baseball had finally come to the Peach State. The group put a poll out for the name. Fans could dial 1 of 3 1-800 numbers to cast their vote. The Devils (a reference to Charlie Daniel's hit 'The Devil Went Down To Georgia') beat out Peaches and Rebels.

Though only 22 years old, the Devils have seen some of the greatest success of any team in the league. Their 4 championships in 1995, 1999, 2002, and 2006 proved this. In 1999 they also broke the record for best season ever going 115-47 (an outstanding winning % of .710!) In 2000, Daniels sold the team away to Devils legendary manager Skip Montgomery who won the 1995 and 1999 championships. Montgomery, the heir to the Montgomery fortune, used his new found wealth to keep the team winning. Since the team is so wealthy, the ballpark Carter Field, is always in tip top shape, hosting 4 All Star games (1992, 1995, 2000, 2013).

Retired Numbers
9 - Skip Montgomery (Manager 1992-1999)
17 - Clarence Fillips (OF 1995-2003)

33 - Jamie Williams (P 1992-2006)

Hall of Famers
Jamie Williams (P 1992-2006) Inducted in 2011

LOGO SET

52i8.png

HOME
a39s.png
AWAY
ld4f.png
STARS & STRIPES ALT
jsyg.png
ALTERNATE
37i2.png

spacer.png

I don't think it's a very good idea to have a team named the Navajos using the sun symbol as a logo. The symbol is not of Navajo origin, but rather a tribe of Pueblo people known as the Zia. As a result, the symbol is referred to as a "zia". Overall, mixing Navajo and Zia culture seems really inappropriate and disrespectful considering they are not of common lineage.

I don't think it's a very good idea to have a team named the Navajos using the sun symbol as a logo. The symbol is not of Navajo origin, but rather a tribe of Pueblo people known as the Zia. As a result, the symbol is referred to as a "zia". Overall, mixing Navajo and Zia culture seems really inappropriate and disrespectful considering they are not of common lineage.

So change the name or the whole direction of the concept?

spacer.png

Washington Warriors
est. 1962

Washington DC

A beautiful city full of national pride, museums, monuments, mansions, and government buildings, Washington DC is easily one of America's premiere tourist cities. While it is based mainly on government, DC is visited by tourist from all over the country. In fact it was second only to New York last year.

In 1958, World War II hero David T. Hosmer struck oil in his home state of Texas. Quickly cashing in on the oil, he made huge profits. Hosmer decided to run for election as governor of Texas in 1960. After a land slide win, Hosmer began his first term in office. He was constantly in DC, and disappointed that he had no baseball games to attend during the summer months when he had time to spare. Since he was a millionaire, Hosmer took matters into his own hand. Since the team was to be based in DC, and owned by a veteran and governor, Hosmer decided a patriotic theme was needed. He settled on the name "Warriors", and construction began on Memorial Stadium in February of 1961. The Warriors were taking the field at the start of the 1962 season with a state of the art stadium. The stadium had many innovations itself, fireworks after every homerun, a botanical garden on the outside of the stadium, and even a pool was added in 1987. The team saw little success until the mid 70's after they acquired pitching stars Bobby Lemon and Chet Ferguson on the trade deadline. It was only a matter of time until players began wanting to go to the Warriors via free agency. Spending big proved effective, as the Warriors won consecutive championships in 1979, 1980, and 1981. Things began going downhill in 1986, however. Manager Darren Pinnella was found guilty of 1st degree murder after he killed his wife's lover. Hosmer died in the summer of 1990, and the team was taken over by his son Calvin C Hosmer. Determined to keep the Warriors in the Hosmer family, Calvin took the necessary steps. Including building the new Ronald W. Reagan Stadium in 1997. The Warriors have been quiet up until 2010, making the playoffs twice since 1987 (1989 & 1992). After the calling up of baseball messiah Danny Howard and rebuilding of the team, the Warriors have made it to the league championship on consecutive occasions in 2010 and 2011.

Retired Numbers
12 - Steven McDaniels (C - 1990-2003)

17 - Jose Ramos (OF 2001-2010)

45 - Chet Ferguson (P 1978-1990)

98 - Bobby Lemon (P 1979-1984)

Hall of Famers
David T Hosmer (Owner), Steven McDaniels, Chet Ferguson, Bobby Lemon

Logos

aslv.png

Home

wa7u.png

Away

wiir.png[/url

Alternate 1

yzka.png

Alternate 2

pn49.png

Wounded Warrior

di27.png

spacer.png

I've finally decided on a name and basic league stuff like that.
re50.png
The American Baseball League
est. 1920
Formed in 1920, the ABL has established itself as one of the prime leagues in the nation, and even overseas (In a universe with no MLB, NFL, NHL, and NBA). Since it's inception in 1920 by John McLaughlin, the ABL has continued on it's path to treat fans to the all around best baseball entertainment.
The league's logo was commissioned in 1981. It has been revealed that the logo is none other than a silhouette of legendary Washington Warriors pitcher Chet Ferguson during game six of the 1981 Crawford Cup Finals.
The League is split in two conferences- The Armstrong Division, and The Gary Division. The two conferences are named after ABL legends Patrick Armstrong and Kevin Gary.
Patrick Armstrong came to America in 1911 at the age of 9. An Irish immigrant, he became infatuated with the sport of baseball. He began playing for the ABL's first team the __________ __________ in the inaugural season of 1920. Armstrong posted league best numbers in 1920, 1923, 1924, 1927, 1930, and 1933. Playing into old age as a player manager, he is considered the most decorated player in ABL history, and a shining example of what is possible to young players. Armstrong was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1944.
Kevin Gary was a quiet Southern man. In the year 1927, he scrapped together money to buy an ABL franchise with his two friends. Together they put a team in _. After becoming majority owner in 1932, the age of _Baseball Renaissance came about. Winning 10 championships in 12 years, he began taking his _team around the world so spectators could see the "Greatest Team on Earth" play exhibition games vs local teams. This is one of the many reasons the ABL thrived during the Depression and World War II
Here's also the update for the Navajos Pueblos
lrwx.png
x4gs.png
in7g.png
z3qn.png

spacer.png

Alright, not getting as much C&C as I like. Gonna bump my thread with a concept.

Buffalo Diamonds

est. 1920

Buffalo, New York

If you haven't noticed by now, teams in the ABL are smaller markets. That's the case for Buffalo as well. Buffalo, NY is the second largest city in New York, behind NYC of course. Downtown Buffalo is a beautiful site to see as it is right by the shores of Lake Eerie. Due to it's proximity to the Canadian border, fans from Canada always come over to see the Diamonds play.

The Buffalo baseball team was founded by American sculptor James Earle Fraser in 1920, after Fraser retired up north to buffalo. Fraser's claim to fame was modeling the 5 cent buffalo nickel. Due to this, Fraser gave his team's namesake after the buffalo he sculpted - Black Diamond, a buffalo at the Central Park Zoo. The Black Diamonds saw great success in the early part of the century, winning championship in 1920, 1926, and 1937. The Black Diamonds remained quiet up until 1953, when Fraser died at age 76. In his will he left the team to the city of Buffalo, who decided to give each resident a share of the team. The mayor of Buffalo was left as majority owner and it was passed down form mayor to mayor. Due to the unconventional style of ownership, not only did the team become the laughing stock of the league, they also became a national story. This was a blessing in disguise however as Mark Applegate, a wealthy man from the Bronx bought the team's majority in 1955. He later dropped the 'Black' from the name. The new Diamonds were ready to take the ABL by storm, but since 1937, they have failed to win the big game. Goin 0-7 in 7 appearances in Crawford Cup Finals. In 2014, Jed Lough, famed Diamonds broadcaster/former player (1953-1958) passed away. The Diamonds are wearing a patch this season in his honor.

The Diamonds play at The Buffalo Multipurpose Sporting Arena and have since 1978. The stadium is running down with few renovations made in recent years. A statue of Black Diamond can be found by the entrance and is a hit with opposing fans to snap a picture with.

Retired Numbers

4 - Kevin McHenrey (1B 1945-1967)

5 - Robert Finnegan (OF 1920-1938)
7 - Kerrigan Stevenson (P 1921-1927)
10 - Kevin Phifer (P 1986-1999)
12 - Steven Lewis (1B - 1990-1998)

19 - Manny Ramos (OF 1997-2006)

21 Jon Donalson (3B 1956-1964)
23 Pablo Clemmentine (OF 1978-1985)
46 Keegan Bailey (P 1981-1986)
75 Calvin Kolby (C 2000-2006)

99 Fred Fasburn (P 1998-2007)

Hall of Famers

Kevin McHenrey, Robert Finnegan, Kerrigan Stevenson, Jon Donalson, Pablo Clemmentine, Keegan Baily

0k3b.png
tlze.png
y3ht.png
73xj.png
25nw.png

spacer.png

Chicago Snipers?

As a proud resident of the Windy City, I would never root for a team called the snipers. It just doesn't sound official and is in poor taste due to the gang violence in the city.

that being said I do have a list of cities that I plan on giving teams

Orlando, FL - Orland Orcas (this one's finished but I want more C&C on the other four teams first)

New York, NY

Indianapolis, IN

Chicago, IL

Richmond, VA

Denver, CO

Portland, OR

San Jose, CA -This team will most likely have a name for the county SJ SF and Oak are in

Dallas, TX

Oklahoma City, OK

Des Moines, IO

St. Louis, MO

San Diego, CA

Los Angeles, CA

St. Paul, MN

New Orleans, LA

Augusta, ME

Atlantic City, NJ

Tucson, AZ

San Antonio, TX

Philadelphia, PA

I want to incorporate small markets but want large markets as well. I have most of the identities sketched and layed out for these teams, but I'm open to city and name suggestions

spacer.png

Archived