SIU Salukis logo idea

jdp

Having grown up in the region, I've always had a soft spot for the SIU Salukis. However, I've never been thrilled with the Saluki logo.

After reading how we forum newbies should start smaller, I thought I would have a go at it.

13223181665_0bc0b5fc5e_o.jpg

I've gone through several iterations of the eye, but this is where I'm at now (without making it look like he's wearing a Robin eyemask). I feel like there's more to do here, but I've been looking at it for so long, I think I'm missing the forest for the trees (and vice versa).

CC welcomed and appreciated.

For reference, here's the current logo:

2626.gifPlus a link to the SportsLogos page

And an actual saluki:

240px-Chart_perski_f444.jpg

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

I came across this just yesterday. Apparently a SIU student feels the same and has a petition going to change the logo. Here are some other options the student threw together (all but the bottom left).

Full disclosure: I started with my idea a few weeks before i ever noticed this. I do not plan on doing anything with my version; it was just meant for fun/practice.

FOR THE RECORD: I did not create these. I am just showing them here for reference. Whatever ideas you have about these ones, great. But, honestly, I don't care. I am concerned with feedback on my idea.

Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Off to a great start for a very unique team name! The only thing that is bothering me at the moment is the ears. Those will be difficult since it looks like it is the main attribute that makes the dog a Saluki, rather than just another Greyhound. Also, maybe the neck cutting off like that could have an edit, but work on the ears first.

As for the others concepts, I like the bottom right one for an Alternate logo. It would also be nice to see another alternate logo of the full Saluki running, somewhat like the Soo Greyhounds did. The wordmark seems like it could be saved too.

Off to a great start for a very unique team name! The only thing that is bothering me at the moment is the ears. Those will be difficult since it looks like it is the main attribute that makes the dog a Saluki, rather than just another Greyhound. Also, maybe the neck cutting off like that could have an edit, but work on the ears first.

As for the others concepts, I like the bottom right one for an Alternate logo. It would also be nice to see another alternate logo of the full Saluki running, somewhat like the Soo Greyhounds did. The wordmark seems like it could be saved too.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm also working on an alternate logo--one where the saluki is facing us--but I'll see what I can do with the running version.

I thought about doing a wordmark, too, but realized I couldn't hack it.

As for the ears, are they too shaggy, not shaggy enough?

I'm currently a student at SIU and I love our logo. I saw the petition article a few weeks ago and I disagree with the student who made it. Not every logo needs to be "more menacing" looking. I do think a to could be done to improve our basketball uniforms, though, which have remained largely unchanged for the last 10 years. There's so concepts you could create with those having the white, maroon, black, and grey versions.

I plan on doing baseball, football and basketball kits when I finalizing the logo concept.

Now that I mention it, here's an updated version. Now with (hopefully) shaggier ears!

13314292424_dfc083eac8_o.jpg

PS - Sorry this has taken so long for an update. Vacation + sickness + toddler = not a ton of time...

It looks good. Maybe add a bit of shading to the ears or something

So, I've been trying to get this ear shading thing down, but it's just not working. I even sketched it out again, playing with the idea of where the shadows would land. Still not coming up with much. It's almost too sleek a dog. I tried the shading to help set off the the hair that would be on the ears, but that just looked hokey.

Any suggestions? Anyone have any examples of other logos I could get ideas from? I can really only come up with greyhound logos for inspiration.

Otherwise, I think I'm at a stalemate with this dawg and will move on to the Running and Face-to-face versions.

Archived