World Football Club Alliance project (All matchups posted)

jdp

Introducing the World Football Club Alliance. Every four years, the top two clubs from the countries participating in the World Cup are selected to compete in a March Madness-style tournament. No group stages. Just single elimination to determine the best club team in the world. The host country is selected from those participating. This years tournament will be held in Greece, with the championship taking place at the Athens Olympic Stadium.

Background on the project:
At some point long ago I realized how little I knew about clubs teams outside the MLS and the big 3 leagues in Europe. So I set out to learn more about the lesser-known teamsand subsequently work on concepts for them. Because I had the idea at least a year ago, I have gone through several bracket iterations. But with the World Cup having taken place last year, NCAA March Madness just finished and all national leagues are active, I figured now or never. As mentioned above, the team were selected from the participating countries in last years World Cup. To keep things random (for concept purposes), the first round is alphabetical, then I flipped a coin for each and every matchup.

Note: The top two teams were selected from FIFAs national league standings on March 20, 2015; the coin flips occurred the same day.

What you can expect to see in the future:

• Concepts for the Elite Eight: (possibly) redesigned crest, home and clash kits
  • Tournament mascot: A crazy idea that I will probably butcher, but how else do you get better?
  • Matchup graphics: a la televised pregame shows

I am fully open to and appreciate C&C, but realize I may not get to updating until I am done with the initial posts.

Without further ado, I present to you the brackets, the Alliance logo and the tournament logo.

17088865522_547631432c_o.jpg

17064401356_9eb6cc63fd_n.jpg17088865572_571a061544_n.jpg

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

What tv network will you be using as a base

I really don't see what that has to do with the concept series.

Anyway, this seems interesting. I'll check in every once and a while.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

This sounds like an awesome idea, and I will be watching this very closely +1 follower. However, I think a Canadian team should be there, unless I'm not looking close enough.

The national teams were based on last year's World Cup, so no Canada.

Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

First of the Elite Eight: Rosario Central

The crest is updated, from this: 200px-Rosario_Central_logo.svg.png

I didn't do anything terribly revolutionary with them. The home kit is essentially unchanged, to honor its long history. The clash kit isn't anything crazy either, but does fall in with most Nike kits these days (without the fluorescent colors).

16983282980_4e1c60ab9e_o.jpg

Note: Obviously, this is a very simple template for the kits, but I'm using it to show them flat. Once these are done, the remaining templates are more photorealistic.

Next up is Veracruz

I didn't do anything terribly revolutionary with them. The home kit is essentially unchanged, to honor its long history. The clash kit isn't anything crazy either, but does fall in with most Nike kits these days (without the fluorescent colors).

Note: Obviously, this is a very simple template for the kits, but I'm using it to show them flat. Once these are done, the remaining templates are more photorealistic.

Next up is Veracruz

Actually, I really like the template used, it seems rather easy to work with. Now for the actual set, I don't love that one of the kits has a collar, and the other doesn't. It may just be me being a freak, but if you like that look, that's completely cool. I do like that the clash follows suit with most Nike clash kits. Good start so far :D (I may not be seeing the set correctly, I'm on my phone)

That's what- She

Next up is Veracruz

Actually, I really like the template used, it seems rather easy to work with. Now for the actual set, I don't love that one of the kits has a collar, and the other doesn't. It may just be me being a freak, but if you like that look, that's completely cool. I do like that the clash follows suit with most Nike clash kits. Good start so far :D (I may not be seeing the set correctly, I'm on my phone)

Glad it's working out so far. And thanks for the feedback. I did make the collars the same for Veracruz. Although, different collars is nothing new for team kits; Arsenal and Barcelona come to mind.

Team 2 of the Elite Eight: Veracruz

A few items to note:

• The kit is manufactured by Charly Futbol. If the kits seem a little garish or, in the case of the clash, ridiculous, that's because Charly seems to do such designs. Just look at the current Veracruz kits.
  • I gave the crest an update to look a little less cartoonish, however.
  • "Plus Ultra" on the back of the jerseys is the motto of of the state of Veracruz.

17213309422_a3895a39d9_o.jpg

Team 3 of the Elite Eight: Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors

Notes:

• The crest is unchanged
  • Kit supplier: Hummel (hence all the chevrons on the shoulders and thighs)
  • Clash kit: the outlined shape on the front is the logo of the North Jeolla Province
  • Home kit: The sublimated portion is a ginkgo leaf, being that it is the symbol of the province

16624759544_b5fd4bd893_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Slowly but surely...

Here's Dinamo Zagreb, team four of the Elite Eight.

• Kit supplier: Puma
  • Kit sponsor: None
  • Clash kit: I tried and tried several different crazier designs (everything from the roof of St. Mark's Church to checkers in various patterns), but it seems Puma is taming things down. Relative to years past, at least. So I followed suit.
  • Crest: I was never fan of their current crest, so I rearranged it a bit, and now it's in a shield. Also, there is the silhouette of the Zagreb Cathedral.

17246091520_e11b1fc0bd_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

I think I've finally learned to stop posting stuff without more to post. Hence, all of the following. I went back through each of the flat templates and tweaked some elements, which are listed alongside the team names. And I also have the matchup graphics done, so those will be posted next.

The brackets, WFCA logo and tourney logo are still in the OP. Without further ado, presented in no particular order, the first four teams.

Rosario Central (Argentina): Updated crest (original)

Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors (Korea)

16624759544_b5fd4bd893_o.jpg

AshantiGold SC (Ghana): Updated crest (original)

18271713908_fc93b69d7c_o.jpg

CSKA Moskva (Russia)

18271713878_8c19aa35f4_o.jpg

Dinamo Zagreb (Croatia): Updated crest (original) and revised kits from previous post; Zagreb does not have a kit sponsor, so I left it off here as well.

18459540535_01fa7acf51_o.jpg

Club Motagua (Honduras): Updated crest (original)

18433110776_4c9aa5d15f_o.jpg

Paris Saint-Germain (France)

18455258672_6ee3f7508f_o.jpg

Veracruz (Mexico): Updated crest (original); kits have been updated from previous post, and the supplier is Charly Futbol

18273346919_fc52b42d12_o.jpg

Elite Eight matchups

Match 1: AshantiGold SC vs. CSKA Moskva
19058078651_242933f3ba_o.jpg

Match 2: Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors vs. Dinamo Zagreb
18434221523_9d0fdc02af_o.jpg

Match 3: PSG vs. Motagua
19058078441_3308af3845_o.jpg

Match 4: Rosario Central vs. Veracruz
19054894355_e26d099ac4_o.jpg

A huge thank you to derschwigg for sharing his realistic Nike kit template. That template allowed me to finally see how the realistic look works in Ps, and I was able to mimic it to the other brands (as best I could, anyway). So, again, thanks!

Bumping for C&C. This is my first legitimate shot at using a realistic template, so any feedback would be appreciated -- especially from those of you who know Photoshop and can easily spot what is (not) working.

• 7 months later...

Archived