Chelsea FC Samsung Galaxy S 5 Branded Kit Concepts

charlessollars

I decided to take the marketing of the Samsung Galaxy S 5 and turn the Chelsea FC kit who is sponsored by Samsung into a walking ad on the pitch for the phone not just the brand. I think this could become a trend with teams getting new kits each year and new phones coming out every 12-18 months. It only makes sense that a brand would ask for one kit to feature a product name and in this case design colors/pattern

Here is the link to all of the concepts I did for Chelsea FC Galaxy S 5

http://www.charlessollarsconcepts.com/chelsea-fc-samsung-galaxy-s-5-concepts/

chelsea-5.jpg

chelsea-9.jpgchelsea-20.jpg

Certainly an interesting idea. I know there have been examples where sponsor companies have chosen specific products to market. Arsenal were once sponsored by Sega who chose to specifically market the Dreamcast on certain shirts over that period. Your idea of marketing a product with a shorter shelf life is new to me though. The S5 isn't a bad product to choose as new models do come out on a yearly basis.

As for the actual concept, the pattern is too over bearing. I would also say that although the pattern is used as the generic background on the phone and in various adverts, it really isn't something most people would see and instantly think of the S5. Nothing wrong with using it, but it is being given too much emphasis right now. The sponsor logo used on the alternate does a much better job for brand recognition, in my eyes.

Another issue is that all 3 kits have a large amount of blue on them. This would cause issues when Chelsea would have to play away at a team who wears blue. They would have no change kit which would not clash. Address this by making at least one of the kits not clash with blue.

Some other things which would improve this concept would be to decrease the size of the chelsea crest and increase the size of the Adidas logo so that there is not as great a difference in size. Use the premier league badge on both sleeves if you want it to look truly authentic (not 100% necessary as this is a concept after all). Increase the size of the numbers on the back of the shirt. They are around 50% of the size they need to be.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

From a fan's perceptive, I would be livid to see this trotted out onto the pitch. From a team management perspective, I would charge the sponsor even more for this. That said, you're probably right; I wouldn't be surprised to see this request from a sponsor in the (near) future.

As far as the concept, marble is correct is all his critiques. Way too much of the pattern. If you limited it, you could get something less jarring on the eyes. A couple ideas came to mind:

• Go with a white jersey and use the full-color pattern, but keep it within the bounds of "SAMSUNG"
  • Turn the pattern grayscale and sublimate it so it only focuses on just the jagged appearance. I can't picture which would be better--white or blue jersey--so play around with it. Maybe even try it on the forthcoming yellow third.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

I agree the pattern is a bit much but you need to talk to samsung on that one. I am not saying these should happen it is more of a it prob will happen. I keep seeing that background pattern all over the place for no real reason so figured they would push that on the team.

The numbers are a bit small but they degraded if I made them much bigger just pulled them off a uni from the pro shop for ease.

I did a bunch more versions on my site around 20 or so just follow the link above to see them all.

I wasn't going with the 3 posted as being home away alt they are just 3 of the ones I pulled from the 20 or so I did on my site at random.

I am guessing something brand driven as this would only be an alt or maybe even a 2nd alt like in baseball only worn on certain days like the sunday uniform or memorial day and july 4 only uniforms in MLB. Maybe even only a half season look going away after the product launch.

I figured most of the fans would not like it but this is more an experiment in what may come. Since I do design stuff for teams of all levels it is a trend that I see coming. If it wasn't and this just gave them the idea sorry sports fans.

I think you could charge as much for this one uni as you could get for the full set to the right company and product.

I don't think a gray scale version would fly with the brand. In this idea they are paying to bring their print ads to life not hint at them in gray scale. The issue off the scale of the team crest is a personal pref of mine.

I being of the American mind set want my teams logo to be bigger than the brand manufacturer. I personally would like to see Adidas have to pick between stripes on the shoulder or chest logo.

Certainly an interesting idea. I know there have been examples where sponsor companies have chosen specific products to market. Arsenal were once sponsored by Sega who chose to specifically market the Dreamcast on certain shirts over that period. Your idea of marketing a product with a shorter shelf life is new to me though. The S5 isn't a bad product to choose as new models do come out on a yearly basis.

As for the actual concept, the pattern is too over bearing. I would also say that although the pattern is used as the generic background on the phone and in various adverts, it really isn't something most people would see and instantly think of the S5. Nothing wrong with using it, but it is being given too much emphasis right now. The sponsor logo used on the alternate does a much better job for brand recognition, in my eyes.

Another issue is that all 3 kits have a large amount of blue on them. This would cause issues when Chelsea would have to play away at a team who wears blue. They would have no change kit which would not clash. Address this by making at least one of the kits not clash with blue.

Some other things which would improve this concept would be to decrease the size of the chelsea crest and increase the size of the Adidas logo so that there is not as great a difference in size. Use the premier league badge on both sleeves if you want it to look truly authentic (not 100% necessary as this is a concept after all). Increase the size of the numbers on the back of the shirt. They are around 50% of the size they need to be.

Awesone idea. This eould be great for alternates just cut back a bit on the pattern and make the gs5 white

thanks

From a fan's perceptive, I would be livid to see this trotted out onto the pitch. From a team management perspective, I would charge the sponsor even more for this. That said, you're probably right; I wouldn't be surprised to see this request from a sponsor in the (near) future.

As far as the concept, marble is correct is all his critiques. Way too much of the pattern. If you limited it, you could get something less jarring on the eyes. A couple ideas came to mind:

• Go with a white jersey and use the full-color pattern, but keep it within the bounds of "SAMSUNG"
  • Turn the pattern grayscale and sublimate it so it only focuses on just the jagged appearance. I can't picture which would be better--white or blue jersey--so play around with it. Maybe even try it on the forthcoming yellow third.

I did a bunch more they are on my site the link is int the post. Don't think you get $ if you make them go gray scale they are paying for the jarring of the eyes

I do agree the pattern in a smaller area would look better but I don't think you get the payday so I skipped it because that is what would happen in the design meeting and business pitch

Nice idea on the sponsor related kits. If I had to chose on of those kits I would pick the first concept as a third kit.

If you haven't take a look at all of the ones I did on my site. these 3 were just picked at random

I answered some of your issues in the main post I made but figured I would answer to you direct.

The numbers are a bit small but I just pulled off of uni on team shop and they degraded if I made them correct size.

The 3 posted were picked at random I wasn't going with a home away alt these are them just posted a few and the link if someone wanted to see full set of ideas.

I am guessing this idea would only be used on one kit not all of them

I do agree the pattern is not great but I think it would be pushed by the marketing department

The real idea here is to bring print and media ads to life on field

That is what the brand would be paying for so you give up the look for the extra money

The sizing of the crest is just a personal issue I have with brands almost hiding the team crest

I prefer it 2nd largest on uni behind main sponsor

Feel free to go to site and checkout the full set and give me your feedback

I dont know if im too keen on the colour of the designs above but I like your thinking

Maybe something more subdued almost subliminal - like a charcoal grey jersey with with club crest, Adidas and Samsung all centred to look like the rear panel of an S5?

I think its a fine line between keeping traditions and exploring every avenue possible to bring money into the club

From my own point of view my teams home kit is sacred, its our identity so it remains largely untouched however the change and 3rd kit are "open to offers" and any way either to increase jerseys sales or secure a large sponsor is fine by me

Two of my most favourite examples recently of good tie in's with sponsors is

Atletico Madrid tie in with Columbia Pictures in 2004 which saw a number of movies appear on the front of their jersey including Spiderman 2

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/simplyton/download_zpsf82211f4.jpg

Scottish 2nd Division team changed this away kit to look like a can of sponsors famous Irn Bru product

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/simplyton/download1_zps6be1e75b.jpg

Neither are particularly great designs but it shows clubs thinking outside the box

Archived