Top NHL Rookies for the 2014-15 Season

T-ROY

With the next starting in the next few months, I feel like now would be a good time to talk about rookies. Who will get a spot on the roster? Who will win the Calder? Who will disappoint? All those questions you can discuss here. First off, I want to make my predictions for the upcoming season.

2014 Draft Picks to win a spot on the roster:
BOS: David Pastrnak, LW
BUF: Sam Reinhart, C

CGY: Sam Bennett, C
EDM: Leon Draisaitl, C
FLA: Aaron Ekblad, D
NYI: Michael Dal Colle, C
PIT: Kasperi Kapanen, RW
TOR: William Nylander, C

WPG: Nikolaj Ehlers, LW

Significant Rookies for 2014-15:
ANA: John Gibson, G
ARI: Brandon Gormley, D / Max Domi, C
BOS: David Pastrnak, LW / Malcolm Subban, G
BUF: Sam Reinhart, C / Jake McCabe, D
CGY: Sam Bennett, C / Johnny Gaudreau, LW / Joni Ortio, G
CHI: Teuvo Teravainen, C / Antti Raanta, G
COL: Joey Hishon, C
CBJ: Alexander Wennberg, C-LW / Oscar Dansk, G
DET: Anthony Mantha, RW
EDM: Leon Draisaitl, C
FLA: Aaron Ekblad, D
LAK: Martin Jones, G / Valentin Zykov, RW
MTL: Jiri Sekac, RW
NYI: Michael Dal Colle, C / Griffin Reinhart, D
OTT: Curtis Lazar, C/LW
PHI: Scott Laughton, C
PIT: Kasperi Kapanen, RW
SJS: Mirco Mueller, D
TAM: Jonathan Drouin, LW
TOR: William Nylander, C
WAS: Evgeny Kuznetsov, C
WPG: Nikolaj Ehlers, LW / Josh Morrissey, D

Calder Candidates:

Leon Draisaitl, C, EDM

Jonathan Drouin, LW, TAM *WINNER*

Johnny Gaudreau, LW, CGY

Feel free to post your own predictions and thoughts

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Matt Puempel's not quite ready for the Sens, Curtis Lazar might make a huge impact if he makes the cut though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Puempel made the team next year. He had a pretty good year with Binghamton (48 points, 74 games, 30 goals) last season and I feel this year he will make the cut. I think he has a better chance of making the cut than Lazar

I'm a big sens fan, and puempel would be more of a call up type sure he had a lot of points in Binghamton, but so did Hoffman and he got called up late in the season. So I think he might get called up at some time but not to sure when, besides it's not like the sens are in a desperate need for forwards, (although scoring might be a problem) as I can see Hoffman and maybe pageau staying with them. As for lazar, I think he has a shot at being a big impact player.

I also think Sam Bennett will crack the flames lineup. Playing with gaudreau might be a line to watch out.

The problem with Oscar dansk and Joni Ortio is that they will likely play in the minors or backup as calgary just signed Hiller and cbj has bobrovsky so I'm not sure what to think about those.

I think buffalo might have a few good rookies up there sleeve.

Lastly, Your calder prediction is good, not sure about draisatl but we will see.

sig_zpsbkzghgfz.png

Twitter: @lestoplegault - Email: Christiantlegault@gmail.com Blog: http://legaultdesigns.blogspot.ca/

I'm a big sens fan, and puempel would be more of a call up type sure he had a lot of points in Binghamton, but so did Hoffman and he got called up late in the season. So I think he might get called up at some time but not to sure when, besides it's not like the sens are in a desperate need for forwards, (although scoring might be a problem) as I can see Hoffman and maybe pageau staying with them. As for lazar, I think he has a shot at being a big impact player.

I also think Sam Bennett will crack the flames lineup. Playing with gaudreau might be a line to watch out.

The problem with Oscar dansk and Joni Ortio is that they will likely play in the minors or backup as calgary just signed Hiller and cbj has bobrovsky so I'm not sure what to think about those.

I think buffalo might have a few good rookies up there sleeve.

Lastly, Your calder prediction is good, not sure about draisatl but we will see.

I'm still not sure about Lazar, Ottawa doesn't need another center. The only reason why Puempel is here is because OTT needs a 3rd-4th line LW, which Lazar is not.

Thank you pointing out Bennett. I had full intentions of adding him to the list, but I guess I missed his name while missing the list.

Dansk is on this list because as a Blue Jakctes fan, I think McElhinney suck, like, a lot. Ortio is on this list because I'm not too sure how Hiller will play and if he'll be injured or not this year. Management has also expressed interest in playing him this year.

Buffalo does have a lot of young talent isn't a surprise to anyone. Girgensons, Foligno, Grigorenko, Reinhart, Zadorov, Ristolainen, McCabe, Ruhwedel, this list alone can go on and on. Yet, most of that talent is no longer considered a rookie other than Reinhart, Zadorov, & McCabe. Zadorov would have made a spot in my mind if it weren't for Gorges, Meszaros & Benoit. So that just leaves Reinhart & McCabe.

Now with Draisaitl. Draisaitl is the complete package. Shooting, physicality, you name it. Look at Edmonton's centers: Nugent-Hopkins, Boyd Gordon, Matt Hendricks, Mark Arcobello, Anton Lander & Leon Draisaitl. Where would you place Draisaitl here. I have him as EDM's 2nd line centre since clearly no one else can fit that spot and he is definitely NHL ready. Perron, Draisaitl, Purcell/Yakupov would be just any line. I wouldn't be surprised if he got 60 something points this year.

Everyone agrees with Drouin winning the Calder. I have him as their first line LW with Stammer & Cally

We have Jensen, Fox and Horvat this season

VENCOOVER CANUCKZ 2015 STANLEY CUP CHAMPZ LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Centres:

1. Henrik Sedin

2. Shawn Matthias

3. Nick Bonino

4. Linden Vey

5. Dane Fox

6. Kellan Lain

If Fox gets any playing time, it will be because of an injury same with Jensen. Horvat will have a tough time beating out those guys.

If Lazar makes the team this fall, he'll move into the LW spot. He's a very versatile player and we just need someone else there who isn't named Greening or Neil.

We really need to bulk up our depth instead of just adding flashy sniper prospects. We went in the right direction this summer signing Legwand and Zibby will be a really good anchor on that 2nd line. With Stone, MacArthur, Turris, Ryan, Chiasson and MIchalek, we need some good bodies out there who can shape a play as well as they can finish it. Hoffman and Lazar along with Condra can take those roles. Lazar might be known for his shot, but he's the best two way prospect we've had in the last 5 years at least.

Besides, Puempel's development was hurt with an injury he sustained before his draft, conditioning him another year wouldn't hurt and would certainly pay off in the long run. Lest we have another Corey Locke.

John Gibson has enough of the hype machine behind him that I think he has a shot at the Calder, but that all depends on if he or Andersen take the crease or share it.

And Nick Ritchie will be given every opportunity to make the NHL roster, and I think he'll e given the 10-game tryout. I don't know if he has enough to make it or is necessary on the roster, but he'll get his shot.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Ottawa does not need a left wing this is how I see the team as of right now.

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan

Michalek - Zibanejad - chiasson

Condra - legwand - greening

Hoffman - smith - Neil

I just don't see room for puempel, lazar and pageau and stone

Care to follow up?

sig_zpsbkzghgfz.png

Twitter: @lestoplegault - Email: Christiantlegault@gmail.com Blog: http://legaultdesigns.blogspot.ca/

If Lazar makes the team this fall, he'll move into the LW spot. He's a very versatile player and we just need someone else there who isn't named Greening or Neil.

We really need to bulk up our depth instead of just adding flashy sniper prospects. We went in the right direction this summer signing Legwand and Zibby will be a really good anchor on that 2nd line. With Stone, MacArthur, Turris, Ryan, Chiasson and MIchalek, we need some good bodies out there who can shape a play as well as they can finish it. Hoffman and Lazar along with Condra can take those roles. Lazar might be known for his shot, but he's the best two way prospect we've had in the last 5 years at least.

Besides, Puempel's development was hurt with an injury he sustained before his draft, conditioning him another year wouldn't hurt and would certainly pay off in the long run. Lest we have another Corey Locke.

OK you guys have convinced me. In with Lazar, out with Puempel.

John Gibson has enough of the hype machine behind him that I think he has a shot at the Calder, but that all depends on if he or Andersen take the crease or share it.

And Nick Ritchie will be given every opportunity to make the NHL roster, and I think he'll e given the 10-game tryout. I don't know if he has enough to make it or is necessary on the roster, but he'll get his shot.

Right now I'm not so sure about Ritchie. There roster is already pretty stacked. If I were Anaheim, I would keep him in the juniors for another year

Ottawa does not need a left wing this is how I see the team as of right now.

Michalek - Zibanejad - chiasson

Condra - legwand - greening

Hoffman - smith - Neil

I just don't see room for puempel, lazar and pageau and stone

Care to follow up?

This is how I see them...

Michalek - Zibanejad - Greening

Neil - Legwand - Chiasson

Lazar/Puempel/Hoffman/Stone - Smith - Condra

That last winger is just unpredictable until we get to training camp

I also have lineups for the rest of the league if anyone wants to see those as well

I agree if there is going to be a breakout goalie, Gibson might be the guy.

Also I'm surprised you didn't add Kerby Rychel to your list since your a CBJ fan. He might be good. Playing with Jenner maybe.

I noticed the saints logo in your banner. I think you will really enjoy a logo concept I made that should be featured on HJC in the future.

sig_zpsbkzghgfz.png

You guys overvalue Greening waaay too much. He seemed like a decent two-way player a couple years back and has done nothing but regress since then. Chris Neil isn't half the player he used to be as well, great presence for the team though.

Here's how I see it ending up, mind I have slightly different ideas of how the lineups should be at the start of the season just to experiment.

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Chiasson

Michalek - Legwand - Stone

Lazar - Smith - Condra

Greening/Neil

I see the third line here having some unexpected great chemistry.

Hoffman/Michalek/Lazar will see a lot of time rotating between the 2nd-4th line between them; while depending on how the two players do over the season, Chiasson and Stone will be rotating a lot between their lines. Any line but the first line should not be safe, and I'd be surprised if the Centres moved up and down the lines at all.

No my only real nitpick is greening. please not greening on the second line. He's is NOT a second liner. Sorry but he did not have the best season last year. Can't say Neil will make the third line, especially with good selection on the left wing. Kassian is gone so he might have to step up as our tough guy.

I really liked smith last year, he's good on the PK and face offs, but with zibby and legwand I think he's only gonna get 4th line time.

Anyways ottawa is good, let's see your calgary lineup and see if I agree (my second fav team)

sig_zpsbkzghgfz.png

This is the forward lineup as I think of it:

Daniel - Henrik - Vrbata

Higgins - Bonino - Burrows

Hansen - Matthias/Horvat - Jensen/Kassian

Sestito - Fox/Lain - Dorsett/Richardson/Vey

Bieksa - Edler

Hamhuis - Sbisa/Weber

Tanev - Stanton

Miller

Lack

It's not that bad, in a couple of years we might be back to our '11 form again.

Yeah Torin I agree, I didn't see your comment before I sent mine in. But greening had 1 good year and everyone thinks he's the whole package. He is built for 3rd/4th line duty.

As for Neil I agree. But like I said do you think smith will take on the tough guy role... Probably Not so I do think he will be on the 4th line.

You guys overvalue Greening waaay too much. He seemed like a decent two-way player a couple years back and has done nothing but regress since then. Chris Neil isn't half the player he used to be as well, great presence for the team though.

Here's how I see it ending up, mind I have slightly different ideas of how the lineups should be at the start of the season just to experiment.

Lazar - Smith - Greening/Neil

Hoffman/Michalek/Lazar will see a lot of time rotating between the 2nd-4th line between them; while depending on how the two players do over the season, Chiasson and Stone will be rotating a lot between their lines. Any line but the first line should not be safe, and I'd be surprised if the Centres moved up and down the lines at all.

I'm sorry but you can't leave Condra out. He's important on the PK and I thought had a decent year on a flat ottawa senators team.

sig_zpsbkzghgfz.png

Lazar - Smith - Greening/Neil

Hoffman isn't ready for the 2nd line and you think Stone is better than he really is. I can see your point on Greening but he has played there before and like I said I don't think anyone else could take that time. I do agree with Christian, you can't leave Condra out of the equation

This is the forward lineup as I think of it:

Daniel - Henrik - Vrbata

Higgins - Bonino - Burrows

Hansen - Matthias/Horvat - Jensen/Kassian

Sestito - Fox/Lain - Dorsett/Richardson/Vey

Bieksa - Edler

Hamhuis - Sbisa/Weber

Tanev - Stanton

Miller

Lack

It's not that bad, in a couple of years we might be back to our '11 form again.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows / Matthias / Kassian

Higgins / Bonino / Hansen

Richardson / Vey / Dorsett

Sestito / Fox / Jensen

Edler - Bieksa

Hamhuis - Tanev

Sbisa - Sanguinetti

Stanton - Weber

Miller

Lack

Markstrom

No my only real nitpick is greening. please not greening on the second line. He's is NOT a second liner. Sorry but he did not have the best season last year. Can't say Neil will make the third line, especially with good selection on the left wing. Kassian is gone so he might have to step up as our tough guy.

I really liked smith last year, he's good on the PK and face offs, but with zibby and legwand I think he's only gonna get 4th line time.

Anyways ottawa is good, let's see your calgary lineup and see if I agree (my second fav team)

Glencross - Monahan - Hudler

Raymond - Stajan - D. Jones

Gaudreau - Bennett - Hanowski

Baertschi - Backlund - McGrattan

Bollig - Bouma - Colborne

Giordano - Wideman

Brodie - Smid

Russell - Engelland

Wotherspoon - Cundari

Hiller

Ramo

Ortio

Honestly, it was really hard to do Calgary. Pretty much anybody could be placed anywhere. It's no doubt that Calgary probably has the best foward depth core in the league. Hope you agree

Archived