Should I drop Inkscape for learning Illustrator for logo design?

Brave-Bird 08

I'm wondering if some advanced logo designers in this forum could offer me a pointer.

I've done a lot of conceptual work for years, mostly on Inkscape. While I feel like I can produce high quality concepts, they're usually just on templates.

But I'm wanting to get into original logo design, and from what I have learned, Inkscape is a little bit more limited when it comes to designing?

So, I downloaded a trial of Illustrator today to try and start learning. I'm wondering though -- if I'm completely comfortable with Inkscape, am I wasting my time, or will learning Adobe Illustrator really benefit me?

I like that is has the ability to contort text, which is something that left to having to design my own wordmarks, often woefully, in Inkscape.

What do you guys think? Thanks!

^ What he said.

Illustrator has a lot more capabilities (like editing type), but unless you're a professional, Inkscape does just fine.

With that being said, if you ever get a chance to get a great deal on Illustrator, GET IT. If you're a student, you can get Creative Cloud for around $20 a month

Founder and Commissioner, World Gridiron

^ What he said.

Illustrator has a lot more capabilities (like editing type), but unless you're a professional, Inkscape does just fine.

What about college students, what do you recommend there? I'm a senior in high school and I'll studying graphic design. Right now, I use photoshop for concepts and such. Do you suggest holding out on illustrator until college or afterwards?

spacer.png

^ What he said.

What about college students, what do you recommend there? I'm a senior in high school and I'll studying graphic design. Right now, I use photoshop for concepts and such. Do you suggest holding out on illustrator until college or afterwards?

If you're going to become a graphic designer, get it. I bought the cs2 Illustrator before entering college, but before that I only had Photoshop, much like you. It quickly changed the way I saw graphic design. Grab a version of Illustrator and practice! Trace the suits of a deck of cards to learn the pen tool, might seem trivial at first but you'll see how the pen tool works.

I completely agree with what GoNords said here. Trace whatever you can.

I was able to pick up Illustrator (CS2) for $100 with a student discount when I was in college. I can't recall the site I got it from, but it's worth looking into. I should note that this was 8 years ago, but I'd imagine similar deals are out there. I think all I needed to do was include a scan of my college ID when I purchased it.

Agree with everything that's been said. If you can still find CS6 or CS7 out there with a student discount go for it. Personally, I prefer the one-time cost over the monthly payments of Creative Cloud, especially for college, where you'll (hopefully) have the same computer for four years and not need to repurchase.

Archived