Metallic Puma NFL Jacket from 1999

MCM0313

Hey, all. I have a short story to share with you.

In the fall/winter of 1999, I was a 15-year-old high school freshman. I've always liked bright, shiny colors (to the extent that, even as a heterosexual male, I thought Lisa Frank school supplies were really cool), but there was a definite trend in the late 90s and early 00s toward dark colors like navy and black. The one exception to that rule seemed to be metallic colors, which were commonly pretty bold (the exact opposite of the matte trend of today). Anyway, in the 1999 JC Penney Christmas Catalog, there were Puma NFL jackets and hats in metallic colors. They were not team-specific, just having the NFL shield on the front and back and the numbers "00" on the arms. The jackets were available in gold, silver, copper, and ice blue; you could get a matching hat for all but copper. I really liked the copper color so I asked for that, and it was my main Christmas present that year. I was a little disappointed I hadn't gotten one that had a hat to match it, but I'm not a hat person anyway, on account of having a huge head and lots of hair.  

16+ years after the fact, I still have that jacket. It has held up very, very well aside from a tear in one of the pockets, and still looks almost new (albeit horribly out of style). It's one of the warmest jackets I've ever had, and I still sometimes wear it during the winter. It's a very bright metallic copper with matte copper buttons and matte copper-and-black striped collar and cuffs. I don't have a picture at the moment (I have one on my Facebook account but am on a public computer at the moment and don't want to log in; I can post it this afternoon once I get home and can use my laptop), but that's kind of the point: I have been unable to find any pictures online of ANY other jackets of that style---not just copper, but any of the colors they offered. I'm guessing they didn't sell super well, but I figured if anyone would remember them it would be you guys. So I'm asking a question: did/do any of you guys have one of those jackets too? If not, do you remember someone who did, or remember seeing them in the catalog? Do any of you happen to have the 1999 JC Penney Christmas catalog or know where I can find a scan of one? I really like my jacket and think it would be cool get some proof that I'm not the only person in the history of Earth to own one. Thanks in advance, and if this belongs in the requests section, please let me know and I'll move it there. 

Sorry, can't say i have ever seen that style of jacket. Not team specific and with 00 on the sleeve, hmm, i  guess everyone back in 99´ was afraid of the Y2K bug , and Puma said screw it, some city may not even exist next year, better play it safe and only have NFL on the jacket, any survivors can always have their mom sew on a team logo patch. 

:P

Best wishes mate !  :wink2:

As someone who's in the process of trying to track down a certain style of NFL hat that's 10+ years old, the best advice I can give you is to keep saved eBay searches of specific terms related to your jacket.

Puma +jacket +nfl +gold

Puma +jacket +nfl +silver +00

Puma +coat +nfl +metallic

Interchange the teams "jacket" and "coat" as well as each color, that should give you your best shot. Good luck!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

20 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

As someone who's in the process of trying to track down a certain style of NFL hat that's 10+ years old, the best advice I can give you is to keep saved eBay searches of specific terms related to your jacket.

Puma +jacket +nfl +gold

Puma +jacket +nfl +silver +00

Puma +coat +nfl +metallic

Interchange the teams "jacket" and "coat" as well as each color, that should give you your best shot. Good luck!

I've Googled these terms, except with "millennium" instead of "00." I specifically recall it being marketed as an "NFL Millennium Jacket." Google searches for that phrase turn up team-specific or even unrelated results.

5 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I've Googled these terms, except with "millennium" instead of "00." I specifically recall it being marketed as an "NFL Millennium Jacket." Google searches for that phrase turn up team-specific or even unrelated results.

It's useful to have the official name to look back at the JCPenney catalogs and such, but anybody putting that jacket on eBay now would probably not remember/know the official name and just describe it as a "(insert color) Puma NFL jacket with 00 on the sleeve." 

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived