1972 MLB caps

MG helmets

I did one of these for 1982, the year that I was 10 years old and really started loving baseball and all the caps and unis. I enjoyed that, so I thought I'd do one for 1972, the year I was born. Good to see some consistency over the years with some teams. Again, this is just for fun and to waste a little time.

1972-caps.jpg

Surprisingly, I'm not sure there's a single cap there that's better than what each respective team is wearing today. The Padres' all brown cap jumps out to me as the closest contender, but I much prefer the actual modern "SD" design to the original. The Brewers' cap, while in that fantastic royal blue and gold scheme, is basically a dead ringer for te Michigan Wolverines, and is devoid of any personality or uniqueness.

A couple other observations:

• That Indians' wishbone-C cap was a terrible idea. It looked like a new version of a Reds' cap.
  • The Tigers' road cap looks much better without the orange outline.
  • The Giants made a significant upgrade by going with a more detailed "SF" eventually.
  • It's actually quite remarkable to me that only one of these teams no longer exists (the Expos). This was the earliest year you could say that about, thanks to the Senators' relocation to Texas that offseason. The overall stability in baseball in the last four decades is actually really incredible (especially relative to the other 3 major sports in the same timeframe).

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I agree with you about the Giants, but the Reds cap is a massive (if subtle) upgrade over what they wear today.   As is the A's, on both counts. 

Completely agree about the Reds - I was forgetting that they unnecessarily added black to their cap logo.

I actually prefer the A's forest green to the kelly green. That might belong in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread, but I love how the gold pops against the forest green. They're a perfect color combination, in my eyes. The kelly green is just a little too bright against the gold, and they wind up competing for attention.

That said, the A's road cap is completely unnecessary, and the addition of gold trim around the "A's" logo is doubly so. 

One observation and one question:

I didn't remember the white outline on the Tigers road caps from 1972 (or 1982, for that matter).  Turns out I was wrong.  What is ironic is that they no longer use the outline on the cap, but use a white outline on the road wordmark and numbers . . . the opposite of 1972.

Should you add the A's coaches' hat to the 1972 gallery?

4f6bfd68c17bf1a5ab48dc816f5b5d0b.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

25 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

One observation and one question:

I didn't remember the white outline on the Tigers road caps from 1972 (or 1982, for that matter).  Turns out I was wrong.  What is ironic is that they no longer use the outline on the cap, but use a white outline on the road wordmark and numbers . . . the opposite of 1972.

Should you add the A's coaches' hat to the 1972 gallery?

I totally missed the coach's caps. I wasn't watching much baseball that year, seeing how I was born in April. I completely missed that in my research.

Funny enough, I think 72 was the first year for the white outline on the Tigers D and 82 was the last year. I could be wrong about that.

I was five then . . . and hated that the A's beat my Orioles in the playoffs in 1973 and 1974.  However, I thought the coaches' caps were really cool.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived