Looking for some help on Alternate Sport Logos

carloss15

Greetings to you all, i have this query and i hope this community can help me since i cound not find any official information myself.

I'm a designer student from Venezuela and i have this subject where i have to a make re-branding of any local brand, i picked a local basketball team and made everything for it from the logo to uniforms, court.. etc, but like in the NBA teams have the main logo and alternate logos i also made a couple of alternate or secundary logos that were born from the main logo, sadly my teacher disagrees with it even though i showed him that's what NBA teams do (there is nothing more top than the NBA in any matter), i gave him the reasons i could think of by logic, alternate logos are good for marketing, to change the main logo for an alternate one that is more simple when it comes to a small scale, etc. The alternate logos i made are born from the main one they share some elements they aren't even waaay too different.

He still has his doubts and he thinks that sport logo is like the Nike logo for example that you should never change the Swosh... It is different when it comes to sport logos i know, but i dont have like any official reason from a book or a professional. 

So that's what  I'm looking for a GOOD REASON Oficcial or not, from a book a magazine a professional or not from this community.

Regards

I agree with you 100%..

As far as dealing with your professor, firstly, Nike has changed their primary at least three times (the first three iterations included a wordmark with the swoosh, while the fourth is just the swoosh).. Secondly, you could argue that the swoosh with NIKE wordmark is the current secondary (with the wordmark alone standing as either tertiary or as a current nba wordmark would)

A strong secondary can expand and enhance a brand.. It can help a brand's visual identity become more well-known rounded and "robust", as well as assist in reinforcing specific imagery and evoking a certain "feel" for fans and consumers who view various aspects of the brand's visual identity. 

On a much simpler level, it can offer the secondary of the two main team identifiers (either a letter/monogram of the team's location or a logo referencing the team's nickname/mascot).. For Ramona: If a team primarily uses a letter as their primary logo, the secondary could be a logo of the animal mascot, etc, like Alabama with the script A, then the elephant (or vice-versa).. Ok State has the oSu logo, pistol Pete, a star badge, and a paisley bandana pattern (among others), which all enhance their brand.. Obviously, you don't want to fragment your brand with vastly different, unrelated marks, but multiple marks that tie the brand together can be a very good thing for several reasons

Secondary logos are a little harder to use in the basketball, as usually a script is used on the front, and not much else. 

21 hours ago, carloss15 said:

Greetings to you all, i have this query and i hope this community can help me since i cound not find any official information myself.

I'm a designer student from Venezuela and i have this subject where i have to a make re-branding of any local brand, i picked a local basketball team and made everything for it from the logo to uniforms, court.. etc, but like in the NBA teams have the main logo and alternate logos i also made a couple of alternate or secundary logos that were born from the main logo, sadly my teacher disagrees with it even though i showed him that's what NBA teams do (there is nothing more top than the NBA in any matter), i gave him the reasons i could think of by logic, alternate logos are good for marketing, to change the main logo for an alternate one that is more simple when it comes to a small scale, etc. The alternate logos i made are born from the main one they share some elements they aren't even waaay too different.

He still has his doubts and he thinks that sport logo is like the Nike logo for example that you should never change the Swosh... It is different when it comes to sport logos i know, but i dont have like any official reason from a book or a professional. 

So that's what  I'm looking for a GOOD REASON Oficcial or not, from a book a magazine a professional or not from this community.

Regards

I don't know why you'd need a book or magazine for reference, the reference would be the pro team. Their logos are designed by professionals, so that's pretty much all the reason you need. 

If your teacher still proof about the alt. logos, just show him this...

AR-160619867.jpg?MaxW=880&v=201411210943

A secondary logo on an actual jersey... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Also, a lot of secondary logos are used in broadcasting. Take the Cavs for example, it's either the Sword C or the 3D C, the primary is used little, even in merchandising. I work in their team store. There are items with the primary on it, but a majority of the stock is with secondary logos. I agree with you. The team uses different logos and you just have to show your professor that most teams now use secondary logos. 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Archived