Memphis Jackals NBA 2K logo

Whittier S

I started this logo awhile back, and I feel like I'm on the right track. I like the subtle indication of a pyramid, and the idea of beard-as-basket. But something is off with how it's put together, and I don't know what. (And yes, there's something weird with the centering; I think I know how to resolve it.) I also worry the logo looks a bit static for a basketball logo, so I'm wondering how to work in some sense of dynamism. Advice much appreciated.

Memphis Jackals 1.png

rATMcmK.png

12 hours ago, mcrosby said:

Love the concept. I'd try to work the net in a bit better. As it is now, it looks pasted on top of the logo. 

Agree with the net looking like it's pasted on. It's especially evident in the top row of diamonds that make up the net, where you can see a straight line separating yellow and blue underneath.

It may not be exactly the Egyptian style, but I think pupils in the eyes would help bring in some of that dynamism that you're looking for. I also find it a bit jarring how the eyes are rounded but the rest of the facial features are angular. And I think the ears being so tall throw off the proportions. Use some of your artistic license and maybe shorten them a bit, and perhaps angle them inward to reinforce the pyramid.

All in all, though, this is a great start and has the potential to be something really good!

I realized the beard/net thing didn't work, and why--the dimensions can't possibly make sense. So I ditched it, which opened up a clever new feature. I think it's close.

Memphis Jackals 3.png

rATMcmK.png

I preferred the first eye style. I think you'd see major improvements by making lines follow the same angles and working on your lineweights. Right now you've got too many different weights. The angles of the ears/nemes crown are too close in your new iteration. I'd go back to your first style ears and bring the nemes onto the forehead.

image.png.d4aa814e289dd9657119727e16e9398e.png

Archived