The wildcard game went so long yesterday I redesigned the Rockies

seasaltvanilla

What initially started as a quick test to see what the Rockies would look like with white numbers instead of black turned into a full concept as the game stretched on for 13 innings, including a new primary logo that combines the elements of the old primary logo with the ubiquitous Colorado CO from the flag. Changed the wordmarks to a sans serif font that matches the logo better. Road pinstripes because why not. Template by @rsaline

gNXRLl4.jpg

ta5wA4c.png

zPtTN0Z.png

Hr2Vcs3.png

Both issues that I thought of but wasn't sure how to fix. The purple-on-purple isn't great but none of the re-colored version of the logo to avoid it strike me as very good looking, or the color balance feels off. Here's the best version I could come up with, but I'm not fully satisfied with it.

QfzxC1W.jpg

As far as the C looking like the Cubs I tried giving it an inner stroke or some kind of pattern, but then it starts looking too busy or loses the connection with the Colorado flag. It's one of those things where it's a bit unavoidable I think, but the differences in colors and the roundel design in the middle keep them distinct enough to work.

Thanks for the comments!

Well, I like the Colorado flag, so this concept is appealing to me. 

I think your logo looks better with the baseball in white, but I think the C ought to be in purple.

The font matches the logo well, but I think it looks a bit worse with the outline on the away and third.

I love the mountain socks!

Thanks for the comments! I kept the baseball gray because I'm a believer in color hierarchy, and for Colorado that's purple-gray-white, although I understand that logically the ball should be white. I tried a version with purple C, gray mountains, and white baseball, but I felt there wasn't enough contrast between the Rockies and the ball. The larger gray stripe on the socks is in service of color hierarchy as above. (Or in promotional speak it's because the gray represents the granite mountains and the white the snow caps yadda yadda).  The Colorado script has outlines on the road and thirds to be consistent with the numbers and the home Rockies script.

Archived