Pacers Announce A Jersey Ad, One Ad-Free Team Remains

SportsLogos.Net News

Pacers Announce A Jersey Ad, One Ad-Free Team Remains

December 18, 2018 - 22:09 PM

And then there was one… The Indiana Pacers today announced they were adding an advertisement patch to all of their jerseys, the logo for telecommunications company Motorola will be present beginning with the Pacers game tonight at home against the […]

Read More...

18 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

I gotta say if you told me OKC would be the last team in the NBA to go without an Ad I would have laughed in your face. Strange times indeed.

Why?  Indianapolis and OKC are two of the smallest markets in the league.  I'm not shocked that advertisers weren't jumping over each other to get a piece of either.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Why?  Indianapolis and OKC are two of the smallest markets in the league.  I'm not shocked that advertisers weren't jumping over each other to get a piece of either.  

That’s a big reason why. A team in a market like OKC seems far more likely to jump at additional revenue and less likely to care about the perceived ‘sanctity’ of their uniforms than a team like the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, etc. Not to mention the team’s branding is already ‘contemporary’ enough.

20 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

That’s a big reason why. A team in a market like OKC seems far more likely to jump at additional revenue and less likely to care about the perceived ‘sanctity’ of their uniforms than a team like the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, etc. Not to mention the team’s branding is already ‘contemporary’ enough.

I don't doubt that they'd love to jump at the revenue.  My speculation is that it's just not there, or they would have grabbed it.  I'm sure someone(s) offered them peanuts, and they decided to hold out for a certain amount rather than accept what they feel is small potatoes.  

I'm pretty sure these numbers all get released eventually.  My guess is that the early adopters (the ones that set the market) probably didn't make as much as the next wave, and then the leftovers pulled up the rear (unless supply and demand raised the value, which I doubt.)  Within each tier, market size and "prestige" probably directly correlate with the deal.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

49 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If it weren't for the existence of FedEx I wouldn't be surprised if Memphis were still in the market for jersey sponsorship.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't doubt that they'd love to jump at the revenue.  My speculation is that it's just not there, or they would have grabbed it.  I'm sure someone(s) offered them peanuts, and they decided to hold out for a certain amount rather than accept what they feel is small potatoes.  

I'm pretty sure these numbers all get released eventually.  My guess is that the early adopters (the ones that set the market) probably didn't make as much as the next wave, and then the leftovers pulled up the rear (unless supply and demand raised the value, which I doubt.)  Within each tier, market size and "prestige" probably directly correlate with the deal.

While you definitely have a point, I don’t think market size makes as much difference in a league as star driven as the NBA. I’m sure there are a lot of companies out there who would jump at a chance  to have Russell Westbrook or Paul George wearing their logo in every shot.

8 hours ago, Chromatic said:

While you definitely have a point, I don’t think market size makes as much difference in a league as star driven as the NBA. I’m sure there are a lot of companies out there who would jump at a chance  to have Russell Westbrook or Paul George wearing their logo in every shot.

Problem is, players are temporary, especially in today's NBA. Sure, you might have Russell Westbrook wearing your logo today, but next season he could easily be wearing some other team's jersey, and some other company's logo. As long as your ad contract runs longer than the life of that team's star players' contracts (and it virtually always will in the NBA), you can't really value an ad deal based on what players are on that team. 

The one exception is having LeBron on a small market team like Cleveland, but even with that, if I were an advertiser, I'd have thrown a boatload of money at the Cavs for a short-term deal. But a long-term deal (which the Cavs would undoubtedly look for)? LeBron is the perfect example of how it could go sour - If an advertiser paid top dollar for a long-term Cavs advertising deal back when LeBron was on the team, they'd be stuck massively overpaying a small-market, no-star team right now. Considering that local company Goodyear bought ad space on the Cavs' uniform, I'd guess that most companies decided to stay away knowing that LeBron would be a free agent after the first season.

9 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I’m sure there are a lot of companies out there who would jump at a chance  to have Russell Westbrook or Paul George wearing their logo in every shot.

Then why aren’t they? Sorry, but the reality is that’s simply not true. Let’s not pretend that the thunder are making some kind of statement. 

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Then why aren’t they? Sorry, but the reality is that’s simply not true. Let’s not pretend that the thunder are making some kind of statement. 

I never said anything about them making a statement, just that I never would have guessed they’d be the last team without one. You know as much about the business ops in OKC as I so neither of us can truly make any definitive statements here.

Archived