Portland Trail Blazers Logo Concept

TLChandler

This is clearly a take on the logo that the team started with, but vamped up a little bit.

I used the pinwheel logo Portland currently uses, and added another outline, as well as changing the colors around to emulate the first logo.

Also, I added a silver outline to the font, just to keep the current color scheme.

Yeah, I noticed the 5 symbolic "players" on the pinwheel are shaky, as it was somewhat of a rush job.

blazersproto.png

Original logo for reference:

blazor.gif

I'm going to come up with some jerseys soon, so stay tuned for that.

Oh yeah, just a little more explanation from the logo.

Theres been talk on the boards of Portland going back to a retro look, but why go back all the way retro? A retro based uniform with new techniques and trends goes a long way. Recently, Oregonian Blazer analyst John Canzano pitched this idea too. He wanted to see the vertical script jersey come back, but he had the new script on there as a quick example. That was a good jersey, but I think I am going to base my uniforms off those that were worn as throwbacks two seasons ago, which were the inaugural uniforms of the team. A simpel way to express a symbolic 'fresh start'. No more "Jail Blazers" image or worst record in league Blazers, but a team that the city for the first time in a while trusts with the direction they're heading.

EDIT:

wilkens.jpg

Those are the uniforms I was talking about.

wilkens.jpg

Those are the uniforms I was talking about.

Even though i like those uniforms in general, i think they look too collegiate to fly in the NBA. It would fit well for a ncaa team looking for a retro style

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Nice concept, but isn't that what they have now? Your original logo seems like their VERY old logo. I thought it already had a slight update similar to yours?

Anyways, I am glad you are trying to something- I have always thought that Portland had the most visually displeasing logo set of any professional organization in America. What other logos do they have? What IS that logo?

Most people probably don't even know what a TrailBlazer is, so I think having an ambiguous logo along with an ambiguous team name is really a bad idea. Maybe come up with a whole new logo for them?

My problem has always been...Whats a TrailBlazer? And...What the hell is that wheel thingy? And....Why?

I guess Im saying, I dont mind a cleanup job, but Id like to see an overhall that incorporates the idea of TrailBlazing.

Alright I've been doing some research to take in some of your requests.

Originally, to name the team a contest was held. Trail Blazers was actually the 2nd place name, and Pioneers was the winner. However, since a local college claimed the name Pioneers they steered clear (Sportslogos.net).

But after looking up the definition of Trail Blazer, it sais "An innovative leader in a field; a pioneer." (Dictionary.com)

The logo thats been around since the start is an artists interpretation of two teams of five squaring off on a basketball court (Sportslogos.net). Its unique, but it doesn't make much sense in terms of team name or what the fan vote wanted.

So after the tiny bit of research, I had a rough idea of what I think might work. I don't want to go and do an actual pioneer or plainsmen, nor do I want to change the team name or anything, but I've been trying to come up with ways that could mark the first to discover, the first to do, and so on. I got a couple ideas in my head, I'll get back to you all later today or tomorrow with some rough sketches.

If anyone else has any ideas of what might work in terms of logo then just post on here or PM me. Thanks for your guys input so far, not much critiquing but rather what you guys would all prefer to see, which is great too.

Archived