Help me perfect my Clink Room entry....

GFB

Sasquatch Vs. Yeti  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

bigfoots( or bigfeet? lol) supposedly are, creatures that fall somewhere in between apes and humans.

as a side note, i like the logo, but the concept behind it is so tenuous. to use a name like anorak as a synonym for nerd or trainspotter type

is a great idea. but the bigfoot leap is about a mile too far. id change the name or make an anorak logo.

Hm.. maybe I should give a little more background into the name...

It's not an original idea, as I first heard of the term "anorak" when I picked up this album:

Having no clue as to what an anorak was, I did a little research and found someone asked the band this question:

What?s the meaning behind the title ?Anorak?? And why the bigfoot?

Anorak is a word that is used in the UK as a slang term for someone who is invested in knowing about something that not a lot of people care about. Like Star trek, Bigfoot, or Jesus. We chose Bigfoot for the front cover because he is a mystical piece of home that fits the definition we were going for with the title.

After reading that, I fell in love with the term and naturally thought of it when I found out about this contest...

no, i know what the word means, its in common usage here. uk school kids use it where you would use nerd, geek whatever. at least they did in the 80s. for kids from the uk, nz and possibly aus, it conjours a very particular image of such a person (see steve coogans stand up character duncan thicket :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ykrHD9a6g) - 7 minutes for anorak reference.

what im saying is that the leap you make to a bigfoot character is just plain bizarre. id either name the team something to do with bigfeet or actually design an anorak character. in itself its a idea name for a concept.

bigfoots( or bigfeet? lol) supposedly are, creatures that fall somewhere in between apes and humans.

as a side note, i like the logo, but the concept behind it is so tenuous. to use a name like anorak as a synonym for nerd or trainspotter type

is a great idea. but the bigfoot leap is about a mile too far. id change the name or make an anorak logo.

Hm.. maybe I should give a little more background into the name...

It's not an original idea, as I first heard of the term "anorak" when I picked up this album:

Having no clue as to what an anorak was, I did a little research and found someone asked the band this question:

What’s the meaning behind the title “Anorak”? And why the bigfoot?

Anorak is a word that is used in the UK as a slang term for someone who is invested in knowing about something that not a lot of people care about. Like Star trek, Bigfoot, or Jesus. We chose Bigfoot for the front cover because he is a mystical piece of home that fits the definition we were going for with the title.

After reading that, I fell in love with the term and naturally thought of it when I found out about this contest...

no, i know what the word means, its in common usage here. uk school kids use it where you would use nerd, geek whatever. at least they did in the 80s. for kids from the uk, nz and possibly aus, it conjours a very particular image of such a person (see steve coogans stand up character duncan thicket :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ykrHD9a6g) - 7 minutes for anorak reference.

what im saying is that the leap you make to a bigfoot character is just plain bizarre. id either name the team something to do with bigfeet or actually design an anorak character. in itself its a idea name for a concept.

I was just trying to explain my personal connection between the term "anorak" and a bigfoot. While it may seem like a stretch to you, those two words go much more hand-in-hand to me.

Because your around that word much more often than I am, I guess I have a little more freedom in associating the word's concept to a wider variety of material.

thats cool, its your project. its just that the reason we are able to communicate is that words have agreed meanings. just because you havnt heard a particular word used before, doesnt make its meaning any more malleable (and in this case entirely transposable). im just saying that to me, this is about as odd as this type of thing:

sheetahs.png

thats cool, its your project. its just that the reason we are able to communicate is that words have agreed meanings. just because you havnt heard a particular word used before, doesnt make its meaning any more malleable (and in this case entirely transposable). im just saying that to me, this is about as odd as this type of thing:

sheetahs.png

Haha, I know it must be strange to you. But this is kinda of strange as well, yet I think it makes sense....

NewSharksJersey.png

Is that the first thing that you would associate with that word? No. Is it a stretch of the to connect the name with the visual representation? Sure. However, it can work with a little imagination.

Now I could be way off base on this, but from what I could tell, an "anorak" was more of a concept (i.e... anything that doesn't fit in/social outcast) than an concrete name for a group of people.

Heck, you probably have way more of a case than I do, I just kinda like debating this for the heck of it 'cause I find it interesting.... :huh:

hmm. in a sense calling someone an anorak is like calling someone a jock. you reference them by the piece of attire. however the primary sense of the word still remains kind of neutral.

so to call someone an anorak, whilst understood, isnt that far removed from calling someone a raincoat. plenty of people wouldnt get the nerd reference and would be confused. and used in anything but a literal sense, itr would considered pejorative. you know in that way that douche is just french for shower.

the only reason i make the point is that i like the idea of a logo anorak. its self effacing and has a nice visual reference. again, see duncan thicket. i love steve coogan.

sheetahs.png

Haha, I know it must be strange to you. But this is kinda of strange as well, yet I think it makes sense....

NewSharksJersey.png

Is that the first thing that you would associate with that word? No. Is it a stretch of the to connect the name with the visual representation? Sure. However, it can work with a little imagination.

Now I could be way off base on this, but from what I could tell, an "anorak" was more of a concept (i.e... anything that doesn't fit in/social outcast) than an concrete name for a group of people.

Heck, you probably have way more of a case than I do, I just kinda like debating this for the heck of it 'cause I find it interesting.... :huh:

Simply put, and sort of off topic, I've always loved the idea of using the name 'Tigers' in reference to a shark-themed team. What if you took the blade of the stick to form the I and styled the rest of the wordmark accordingly? Nice mod of the old Sharks' logo, too, by the way. I've got a sketch just like it in my archives. Much better than the design that actually came to be.

Anyway. I think I dig the stretch that needs to be made to associate the nickname with the logo. Makes for a great story when you have to describe the origin of the team identity.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

sheetahs.png

NewSharksJersey.png

Simply put, and sort of off topic, I've always loved the idea of using the name 'Tigers' in reference to a shark-themed team. What if you took the blade of the stick to form the I and styled the rest of the wordmark accordingly? Nice mod of the old Sharks' logo, too, by the way. I've got a sketch just like it in my archives. Much better than the design that actually came to be.

Anyway. I think I dig the stretch that needs to be made to associate the nickname with the logo. Makes for a great story when you have to describe the origin of the team identity.

Ha.. that was just a 2 minute update to a point, though that would be cool... (you can see the real one here)and yes, count me in to the loving strange nickname-to-logo connections as well... and there are some good ones out there. For example, tell me the relation between these nicknames and the logos:

Crimson Tide

Alabama_Logo.jpg

Zips

Akron%20Zips.jpg

Midshipmen

navy.gif

Bonnies

saint-bonaventure.png?max_width=200&max_height=200

Titans

Atheletics-Logo_150-dpi.jpg

Another example... take the nickname "Aggies" for example. Do you know how many different ways there are to portray an "Aggie"?

"Cowboy"

QOVSCDWYBGDHLCC.20050815174335.jpg

"Sergeant"

OlSarge7.jpg

"Collie"

RevLogo.jpg

"Bulldog"

aggie.jpg

"Horse"

1999-Aggies-mascot.jpg

"Bull"

utah-state-aggies1.gif

However, Mirriam-Webster states the definition of an "Aggie" as

Main Entry: ag·gie

Pronunciation: \ˈa-gē\

Function: noun

Usage: often capitalized

Etymology: agricultural + -ie

Date: 1902

: an agricultural school or college; also : a student at such an institution

So if that's the case, shouldn't all those logos be farmers and farmers only?

Just something to think about.....

well in those cases, the 'aggie' refers to the agricultural nature of the college and those that attend it. i guess like 'packers' or 'steelers' its a generic term for the men playing.

and id argue the mascot in most of those cases is of a similar agricultural persuasion. not sure about 'sergeant'? none of those seem as jarring as jarring and as disconnected as:

rain coat --> british colloquialism for nerd --> imaginary 8ft forrest dwelling monster.

im not saying your team name should be literal, just that it i personally find it bizarre to have it be entirely unrelated.

make your yeti/sasquatch/big foot full body size, throw a parka on him, and you cover all bases...

Seriously: hands in pockets, head down with hood on covering almost the eyes...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

For example, tell me the relation between these nicknames and the logos:

Crimson Tide

Alabama_Logo.jpg

The Crimson Tide's elephant mascot pays homage to the University of Alabama's 1930 football team, which was comprised of particularly large players. According to Atlanta Journal sportswriter Everett Strupper, said players were so physically imposing that their size inspired one 'Bama supporter to shout, "Hold your horses, the elephants are coming," as they took the field.

Zips

Akron%20Zips.jpg

The University of Akron's athletic teams received the nickname Zippers in 1926, the result of an entry in a "Name the Team" promotion. The winning entry paid homage to the Akron-based B.F. Goodrich Company's popular rubber overshoe, the Zipper. In 1950, the Zippers name was shortened to Zips. Zippy, Akron's kangaroo mascot, was selected as a result of kangaroos being regarded as "fast, agile and powerful" creatures - all qualities that are prized in an athlete. Further, Kangaroos had been a popular suggestion that ultimately lost out to Zippers in the 1925-26 "Name the Team" promotion.

Midshipmen

navy.gif

The use of a goat as a mascot by U.S. Naval Academy athletic teams dates to 1893, the year that officers aboard the USS New York gave a goat named El Cid to members of the Academy's Brigade. El Cid inspired Navy to a 6-4 victory over Army that year and the rest is history. Though other animals (namely, two cats, a dog and a carrier pigeon) have occasionally cropped-up on the Navy sidelines over the years, the vast majority of Midshipmen mascots have been billy goats.

Bonnies

saint-bonaventure.png?max_width=200&max_height=200

St. Bonaventure University's athletic mascot was originally the "Brown Indian", a Native American figure meant to pay tribute to members of the nearby Seneca nation. By 1996, the university's administrators, faculty and some students were becoming increasingly aware that continued use of a native American mascot would draw criticism from many outsiders. An ill-conceived - and ill-received - mascot dubbed the "Bona-Fanatic" lasted just three years before giving way to the school's current wolf mascot. A wolf was chosen because the creature was seen as "aggressive, yet friendly; leaner and more athletic" than previous mascots and a symbol that would help in the development of "a great primary mark and tradition". Additionally, the wolf plays a part in the Franciscan tradition, as it is said that St. Francis of Assisi tamed a terrifying and ferocious wolf in the vicinity of Gubbio, Italy. Given that St. Bonaventure University is a Franciscan institution (its namesake having been cured of a childhood illness through the intercession of St. Francis of Assisi and later serving as Minister General of the order), the mascot is certainly fitting.

Titans

Atheletics-Logo_150-dpi.jpg

Titans was chosen as the nickname for the then Orange County State College athletic teams in a vote amongst members of the student body. The school's Dean of Students at the time, Ernest Becker, thought the accompanying mascot would be best embodied by a "mythological figure from Greek history". Still, there were those who immediately linked the name to the Titan missiles that were then playing such a prominent role in As a result, nothing further was done about adopting a mascot until 1962. That was the year that a practical joke dubbed the "First Intercollegiate Elephant Race in Human History" took on a life of its own and actually wound-up being staged on a hastily-graded field on the campus of Orange County State College. More than 10,000 spectators gathered to watch colleges from around the United States - and England's Oxford University, as well - contest a race between 15 elephants rented from a local wild animal farm. To publicize the event, an illustration of a circus-like elephant was used and began to appear on notebooks, t-shirts and sweatshirts around campus. Someone made the connection between the definition of titan ("one gigantic in size or power") and the presence of an elephant and the future Cal State Fullerton finally had its athletics mascot.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived