Quick question about the 2004 NBA Finals

dbadefense1990

Hi everyone. So I did a little researching, and I figured out something that isn't clear to me.

I found these Pistons hats from the 2004 NBA Finals, which don this primary logo for the series:

62-Detroit-Pistons-NBA-The-COMMEMORATIVE-FINALS-PATCH-2004-By-Mitchell-And-Ness-3.jpg

62-Detroit-Pistons-NBA-The-COMMEMORATIVE-FINALS-PATCH-2004-By-Mitchell-And-Ness-4.jpg

This specific stylization has been in place for the NBA Finals for some while now (ignore the year from this image; it's just the event logo):

2008_NBA_Finals.png

Yet, I had never seen this specific logo tied up to the 2004 series in any publication nor in any TV broadcast. More so, this was considered the "official" logo of the series:

2986.gif

Can anyone offer me any hindsight on what's going on?

Detroit never had that logo for the 2004 finals. They still used the Alternate "Ball" logo as the main logo for them, despite the fact they had the "Horsepower" logo as the primary.

That could however be a fake or a reproduction when they switched logos, probably just added the finals logo to help sales?

Oh I know about the Pistons' logo in those times. I was referring to the NBA Finals logo.

Go on ebay and search for some memorabilia. Most don the same Finals logo from the cap you claim as a fake/reproduction, but I'd never seen it on TV or in print.

I just posted the image of the hat because it was the only postable image I could find related to this topic.

Archived