2024 NFL Changes

Aesthetically, I really do not like the guardian caps; but you really can't argue with their functionality and i figured the NFL would make a decision like this sooner rather than later. I mean hell, the main selling point of the Vicis helmet is that the shell is able to absorb hits like a foam pad; which is the point of the caps. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Yup, I was thinking of the SAFR caps.

6584f4269603d.preview.jpg?crop=1763,926,

VA-Tech-WR-1024x768.jpg

VA-Tech-helmet.jpg

Is this allowed in the NFL yet? 

I think these would be better than the Guardian caps aesthetically, but how do they compare for protection? SAFR caps at least look like football helmets and can have the decals applied.

MLB tried to give pitchers external headgear to protect from comebackers, but I only remember one pitcher using it.

Image result for mlb pitcher headgear

Function and safety need to be the priorities, of course, but I could see players refusing the caps while voluntary for the look.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rfraser85 said:

I think these would be better than the Guardian caps aesthetically, but how do they compare for protection? SAFR caps at least look like football helmets and can have the decals applied.

MLB tried to give pitchers external headgear to protect from comebackers, but I only remember one pitcher using it.

Function and safety need to be the priorities, of course, but I could see players refusing the caps while voluntary for the look.

There's also a skull cap that people can wear under a regular hat that doesn't look so outlandish as this one does. 

51yGzAaU-6L._AC_SX679_.jpg

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

There's also a skull cap that people can wear under a regular hat that doesn't look so outlandish as this one does. 

51yGzAaU-6L._AC_SX679_.jpg

I've seen those too, but I don't know if there's any room inside the helmets for more padding. Not to mention, those make the aesthetic argument moot.

3 hours ago, NOLAPelicans23 said:

Completely fair. Modern doesn't make it amazing and it can be used as a cash grab all the same.  If we're going case by case, I've stated my reason for not liking the Rams throwbacks used on today's template. For other teams (Broncos), it shows a lot of inconsistencies that we dismiss because it's a throwback, but would have issues with today. If we're going to compare designs, you have to keep the scale equal and critique it the same way.

It's lazy and cheap because it doesn't advance a brand/look and settles for decent.  It settles for "Ah, people used to love this. Just bring it back". The Rams throwback on Dickerson looks great because the bigger sleeve captures the desired look of the swooping horn from the armpit to the sleeve. In the picture I used, you can see on the O-lineman that the design can be messed up quickly and takes away from the desired look. The design starts at the shoulder and loses the same swoop or gets cut off in this uniform. When players wore bigger sleeves like Bradford in the Throwback, it worked and captured what the Throwback was.  Players aren't doing so, it makes a solid look worse and I would rather modernize it so a uniform works than just say old look is good when it doesn't translate the same. 

I said the same thing about the New York Jets Namath-era uniforms on the Nike cut. Both the Rams and Jets would of benefit better with a modern take on it, but now with the Jets going back to the 1978-1989 Gastineau look make me happy because it does not look bad on the new uniform cuts. The Rams just need to stop the gimmicky gradients and the sectioned horns and they would look decent. The bone colored jerseys can work if the helmet and blue colors was navy blue without the highlighter yellow and given just a navy and bone look for an alternate look while the horns on the navy helmet is bone. I would of went in that direction instead.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ssj_homeslice said:

Aesthetically, I really do not like the guardian caps; but you really can't argue with their functionality and i figured the NFL would make a decision like this sooner rather than later. I mean hell, the main selling point of the Vicis helmet is that the shell is able to absorb hits like a foam pad; which is the point of the caps. 

Possibly stupid question here... but how much heavier are they? They seem like they would serve a purpose with hits but I cant imagine trying to run and juke with with massive thing on my head.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

Possibly stupid question here... but how much heavier are they? They seem like they would serve a purpose with hits but I cant imagine trying to run and juke with with massive thing on my head.

The weight isn't that much more. In fact, adding too much weight actually increases the chances of injury so that's taken into consideration when these are used. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png

The yellow and white stripe on them are pointless and nearly unnoticeable. Plain bone pants or even using a singular wide blue stripe would improve the look.

spacer.png

When the Rams use the above combination, it reminds me of being a throwback like these-

spacer.png

spacer.png

I am disturbed by how much I like the blue over bone combination.

45 minutes ago, rfraser85 said:

https://safrsports.com/lab-studies/

According to the link it's saying they reduce the risk of concussions by 77%,  then it says 72% reduction on "concussive hits". But that's putting it on top of a 5-star rated helmet. 

2 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

https://safrsports.com/lab-studies/

According to the link it's saying they reduce the risk of concussions by 77%,  then it says 72% reduction on "concussive hits". But that's putting it on top of a 5-star rated helmet. 

That's still a dramatic improvement, and it still looks like a football helmet. If SAFR and Guardian caps have comparable stats, then SAFR would be the way to go.

1 minute ago, Silver_Star said:

For some reason, I prefer this throwback for the Packers. I don't know, it has a classic vibe to it and it's visually different from their normal dark green and athletic gold colors.

It's not our best look. It shouldn't see the field.

ETA - hot pink would be visually different from our normal green and gold. I only think one member here would think that is a good thing to wear.  Different doesn't equal good, nor does unique.

meme-Not-Good

• LOL 1
  • Meh 1

It's where I sit.

Welp, seems like NFL aesthetics are finally dead that players won't even be wearing normal helmets anymore. I wonder how some classic uniforms are going to look like when they turn into flag football by 2030?

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

3 hours ago, GhostOfNormMacdonald said:

I'm sure the NFL can find some way to get logos on it, or develop one that can.

Every player should wear these. So they should figure it out before they're mandatory in 10-20 years 

Exactly. The NFL is centered around the brand, and that brand is centered around the helmet. They wouldn't announce this if they hadn't found a way to integrate at the very least a team's logo onto the cap. 

Otherwise, we wouldn't have seen a bunch of giant helmet replicas at the Draft this week. 

spacer.png

If they were planning to fully integrate the Guardian Cap as-is, we'd see little to nothing helmet related from the league or its partners on the marketing side of things. They'd actively be trying to distance themselves from the helmet as a brand icon.  

59 minutes ago, logo-maker said:

Per having logo/branding issues with the guardian caps, there is this:

FWIW- similar to this. I found these practice socks they use on top of guardian caps that seem to be a little less bulky than what you see from georgia here. Maybe they pop off easily under contact and are only meant to designate players you can't hit in practice, but this silhouette is certainly closer to a traditional helmet. 

spacer.png

did a quick mockup just to see NFL branding on one. bleh.

CUeItZ6.jpeg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JoeDGemma said:

FWIW- similar to this. I found these practice socks they use on top of guardian caps that seem to be a little less bulky than what you see from georgia here. Maybe they pop off easily under contact and are only meant to designate players you can't hit in practice, but this silhouette is certainly closer to a traditional helmet. 

spacer.png

did a quick mockup just to see NFL branding on one. bleh.

CUeItZ6.jpeg

One new issue I just thought of: the vents in the helmets. I don't know what they're for, but all of these caps would cover the vents.

• Like 2