Connecticut Whalers

ThePreacher

I just read this article on the popular hockey blog icethtics which talks about the hottest-selling merchandise in the National Hockey League -

...The Hartford Whalers.

The Whalers are so popular, in fact, that their former owner Howard Baldwin has taken over the Hartford Wolfpack and will re-name the team the Connecticut Whalers.

This is their logo:

CONNWHALERS.jpg

All I can say is: Dude, SWEET.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

I, for one, will not stand by and watch these people support whaling in North American waters by renaming their team the "Whalers".

Yeah, this is pretty cool. The next step is relocating a team or creating an expansion NHL franchise in Hartford. I'd buy their jersey.

And JQK recently did a cool concept of the Connecticut Whalers. It was really sweet, and I think it should be used by Connecticut. Did you see it, Preacher?

And JQK recently did a cool concept of the Connecticut Whalers. It was really sweet, and I think it should be used by Connecticut. Did you see it, Preacher?

Indeed I did.

I will say this though: Because the Whalers have, in my opinion, the best logo in the history of North American professional sports, any Whalers concept attempt is going to fall short.

This is why I encouraged ...(having a mental lapse and forgetting his name)... to NOT do a Whalers concept as part of his "Defunct NHL Concept Series" he recently launched (with an excellent Hamilton Tigers concept, might I add.)

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

Ah... I see. I misread Preacher's post.

Was never referring to you, Punch...

Oh, I know. I was just clarifying.

Off topic, I think it's awful that someone would plagiarize your Connecticut Whalers concept. It was a good one, but it was ruined by Vidboy's accidental/purposeful copied version.

Off topic, I think it's awful that someone would plagiarize your Connecticut Whalers concept. It was a good one, but it was ruined by Vidboy's accidental/purposeful copied version.

I liked it...

But I'm on the fence as to whether or not the other guy plagiarized it, or if it was just an honest mistake.. it definitely doesn't seem to be on the same level as that ridiculous (and ongoing) saga with Mike Ivall's Hawks rebrand..

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

I liked it...

But I'm on the fence as to whether or not the other guy plagiarized it, or if it was just an honest mistake.. it definitely doesn't seem to be on the same level as that ridiculous (and ongoing) saga with Mike Ivall's Hawks rebrand..

Give me a link.....

Never heard of this story before.

I just read this article on the popular hockey blog icethtics which talks about the hottest-selling merchandise in the National Hockey League -

...The Hartford Whalers.

The Whalers are so popular, in fact, that their former owner Howard Baldwin has taken over the Hartford Wolfpack and will re-name the team the Connecticut Whalers.

This is their logo:

CONNWHALERS.jpg

Any idea when this is going to happen? I live in the area and I always hear it is going to happen, but it never seems to.

...The Hartford Whalers.

This is their logo:

CONNWHALERS.jpg

Any idea when this is going to happen? I live in the area and I always hear it is going to happen, but it never seems to.

Not by the start of the season, to say the least.

I, for one, will not stand by and watch these people support whaling in North American waters by renaming their team the "Whalers".

Yeah, this is pretty cool. The next step is relocating a team or creating an expansion NHL franchise in Hartford. I'd buy their jersey.

Yeah....about that next step? We'll be shooting bacon out of the sky before that happens.

It's a decent logo, although it's not like they did a whole lot. And even though nobody cares about Bridgeport really, they do also kind of sort of have a team in Connecticut as well. Bad form to rename yourself to claim a state in such a situation.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

CONNWHALERS.jpg

As a member of a family that held season-tickets to the New England and Hartford Whalers in both Boston and Connecticut, I'm thrilled by the prospect of the Whalers' brand returning to the ice.

That said, this logo is, at best, a mediocrity. It looks like a slapdash effort thrown together by a prepubescent logo enthusiast. Frankly, I'm amazed that Howard Baldwin has apparently signed-off on an effort this shabby as the "face" of his efforts to return the Whalers to the ice.

And "Connecticut" Whalers? Really? That's beyond lame. If you're going to revive the brand, spend the time, effort and money to obtain the Hartford Whalers name and the team's last, iconic logo. Anything short of that is a failure.

As for the notion that Baldwin is going to successfully secure a National Hockey League franchise for Connecticut's capital: fat chance. Even if a new arena were to be built in Hartford, the city just isn't going to register on the NHL's radar.

Archived