New Year's 6 College Bowl Series (2/6 Orange Bowl Teaser 1/28/15)

bigmike

Following up on my Iron Bowl rivalry concepts, I began looking for a new project to take on. At first, I planned to do a rivalry series and even started on Florida State but I was inspired instead to take on the New Year's 6 bowl games which will all be played as a part of the College Football Playoff in rotation. This isn't a huge project as I am creating a uniform for each team that is intended to be worn only once, however with my process of creating these concepts and the presentation I am using, I may not actually finish the entire thing by New Year's day. I will also do the National Championship match once the semifinals are done. Using a new "layout" template which was converted from the newly released Russell template which is being used in the Phoenix challenges. Also using JCR's template for the player models.

Chic-Fil-A Peach Bowl 2014-15: #9 Ole Miss Rebels (SEC) vs. #6 TCU Horned Frogs (Big 12)

Ole Miss: Ole Miss was the first team completed, in fact I had them completed about 2 weeks ago but my laptop crashed and I lost my work on the concept, so after getting over my frustration I went back and worked on them again. The uniform is created as a fauxback inspired by their throwback helmet which was originally worn from 1983-1994. The lighter shade of blue replaces Navy almost completely for this concept, outside of the "Peach Bowl" inspired logo.

-Light Blue Helmet, features "Rebels" script on front bumper.

-"Peach Bowl" inspired logo featuring Block M used on jersey collar, pants, undershirt, and gloves.

-Sublimated State of Mississippi Flag used on jersey sleeves, undershirt & gloves. Flag sticker also replaces State outline on back of helmet.

- "Walk of Champions" Arch from "The Grove" is sublimated on sleeves.

Style Guide:

OleMissStyleGuidev2_zps6c6d0cba.png

TCU: For TCU, I wanted to use a Purple/Black/Purple layout, I think it is one of their best looking combos plus they have had success wearing it in big bowl games like the Rose Bowl. Like Ole Miss, I decided to use a new "Peach Bowl" inspired logo for TCU. Although the uniform as a whole remains very similar to their current style, a new horned frog skin pattern is used on helmet, undershirt, gloves & cleats.

-New Frog Skin Pattern.

-"Peach Bowl" inspired logo featuring TCU w/Frog used on helmet, jersey collar, undershirt, and gloves.

-Only 3 colors used including Black, Purple & "Chrome Silver."

Style Guide:

TCUStyleGuideV2_zps46f957b0.png

Model Template: Bo Wallace (Ole Miss) & Trevone Boykin (TCU)

OleMissvsTCUModelv2_zps17e7e862.png

If I remain in order, next will be #10 Arizona vs. #20 Boise State. Leave me some feedback, hope you guys enjoy!

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

I've always loved the powder blue Ole Miss helmet, and thought it was a bit overwhelming at first, but it grew on me the more I looked at it.

TCU looks pretty normal to what I think of them wearing. I agree with MCH that the texture on the pants is extremely overwhelming.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

I think there is a reason Ole Miss uses an outline of the state instead of the state flag. I don't know how many of these college students (many not from Mississippi) would be happy wearing the Confederate flag on their uniforms.

I'm not really a fan of using a new logo on TCU's helmet. I can understand it on gloves, undershirts, etc. but why would they use a one-time logo on their helmet? The helmet is the most visible part of the uniform and representing the athletic department and football team as a whole is more important than saying, "Hey, we made the Peach Bowl." I know they would only wear this for one game, but in my opinion, it is still too gimmicky.

I also agree that the texture on the purple is too strong. I think it could work on the helmet as is, but it needs to be more sublimated on the pants. And you probably want to match the intensity of the design across the different elements.

award%20sig.png

I think there is a reason Ole Miss uses an outline of the state instead of the state flag. I don't know how many of these college students (many not from Mississippi) would be happy wearing the Confederate flag on their uniforms.

I'm not really a fan of using a new logo on TCU's helmet. I can understand it on gloves, undershirts, etc. but why would they use a one-time logo on their helmet? The helmet is the most visible part of the uniform and representing the athletic department and football team as a whole is more important than saying, "Hey, we made the Peach Bowl." I know they would only wear this for one game, but in my opinion, it is still too gimmicky.

I also agree that the texture on the purple is too strong. I think it could work on the helmet as is, but it needs to be more sublimated on the pants. And you probably want to match the intensity of the design across the different elements.

Well, they've done it before by adding a rose to the logo for the rose bowl. I know it was small but it's the same idea.

a2BRS8U.png

The College wouldn't do it but the kids would love it. The kids around there fly the flag on their trucks. (I live in Tennessee)

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

Fair point about the state flag, for conceptional purposes I thought it worked pretty well with the uniform, plus they are nicknamed the "Rebels."

As far as the TCU helmet logo, like H11K said, they've done it before in the Rose Bowl. The logo really isn't that different, aside from featuring the peach now, it is still laid out the same way as their current.

I'd agree with most on the pattern possibly being to strong, I thought so when I first completed it but thought it might work just because they have done it before, I'll likely remove it from areas on the uniform and just keep it on the helmet and undershirt.

The College wouldn't do it but the kids would love it. The kids around there fly the flag on their trucks. (I live in Tennessee)
A certain genre of kids do, but not the majority. I certainly wouldn't expect their football players to be for its- maybe some of the lineman would, but not most. Ole Miss recruits out of state players a lot anyway.

Also you mention that they use the state outline instead- that's not the case. I don't ever remember Ole Miss using the state outline on the uniforms. State has, but not OM.

EDIT- Ironic that I am parked next to a truck with a confederate flag on the front plate an hour after I typed this.

A certain genre of kids do, but not the majority. I certainly wouldn't expect their football players to be for its- maybe some of the lineman would, but not most. Ole Miss recruits out of state players a lot anyway.

Also you mention that they use the state outline instead- that's not the case. I don't ever remember Ole Miss using the state outline on the uniforms. State has, but not OM.

EDIT- Ironic that I am parked next to a truck with a confederate flag on the front plate an hour after I typed this.

Yeah, again the thought sort of crossed my mind when I first used it but I thought it was a good conceptional idea. However, I'd agree that the school would likely not be okay with that which is completely understandable. Any ideas for a replacement? I could go with the state outline but I like that better for Mississippi State, I what if I replaced the confederate flag part with the Ole Miss M?

This is what I was talking about before when I said Ole Miss uses the state outline, I didn't mean they actually use it on their uniforms but they do use it as decal on the helmet.

BS3I-GjCYAArA9g.jpg

Yeah, again the thought sort of crossed my mind when I first used it but I thought it was a good conceptional idea. However, I'd agree that the school would likely not be okay with that which is completely understandable. Any ideas for a replacement? I could go with the state outline but I like that better for Mississippi State, I what if I replaced the confederate flag part with the Ole Miss M?

What if you would incorporate The Grove in some way? When I think of Ole Miss, that comes to mind immediately. I don't know the best way to do that, though. Maybe an overhead shot of the trees and walkways?

award%20sig.png

Great work, bigmike. I really like both concepts, and the peach-logo combos are great. Hope those pop up for each bowl. My only suggestion would be to tone down the pattern on TCU, which has been addressed. I think limiting it to the helmet, undershirt and collar would be a good balance.

Can't wait to see the rest!

Well, they've done it before by adding a rose to the logo for the rose bowl. I know it was small but it's the same idea.

Maybe the frog could be eating a peach, as it did have the rose in its mouth?

When are the uniforms for the Boise St Arizona game going to be completed?? Cause I would love to see what you can do for that matchup.

Sorry I meant to reply to this last night. Hopefully, I can get Boise State-Arizona up tomorrow, I have to drive back to Tuscaloosa but once I'm there I should have some free time. I'm aiming to complete the entire series by the National Championship and will do an additional set for it as well.

I've got Ole Miss and TCU updated as well so I will try and post those tomorrow. Just to give you guys an idea, I replaced the Mississippi flag with a pattern that will represent "The Grove" at Ole Miss which I thought was a great suggestion by David Miller!

Here is the Ole Miss vs. TCU update, I'll re-do my description on the first post.

Ole Miss Updates:

-Replaced Flag with "Walk of Champions" Arch which is located at "The Grove" (thanks for the idea davidmiller).

OleMissStyleGuidev2_zps6c6d0cba.png

TCU Updates:

-"Frog Skin" used on helmet, undershirt sleeves, gloves & cleats.

-Jersey is all black, no purple sleeves

*May try a logo update with the peach sticking out of the Frog's mouth after I get the others complete but for now I'm sticking with the first logo I made.

TCUStyleGuideV2_zps46f957b0.png

Updated Model Template

OleMissvsTCUModelv2_zps17e7e862.png

I have Boise & Arizona's style guides ready, I'll work on the model template and try to post it tonight.

Vizio Fiesta Bowl 2014-15: #20 Boise State Broncos (Mountain West) vs. #10 Arizona Wildcats (Pac-12)

Boise State: Boise State is moving in the right direction with their uniforms IMO, however I do believe they could make some improvements. Overall, I wanted to recapture the magic from their first Fiesta Bowl win by creating a fauxback based on these uniforms and using the Blue/White/Orange uniform layout.

-Oversized Bronco logo is used on both sides and is orange.

-Helmet paint is similar to the paint used for Oregon's 2014 Rose Bowl helmets.

- "Fiesta" confetti used on collar, cuffs, undershirt & gloves.

- NOB matches number font and word mark.

- B logo used on gloves and pants.

Style Guide:

BoiseStateStyleGuide_zps10948570.png

Arizona: Since I used the confetti theme for Boise State, I decided to go in a different direction and use the "sun" from the Fiesta Bowl logo with Arizona's Wildcat logo. Copper plays a big part to create a "Desert" feel. I thought it would be good for Arizona to use a "state pride" theme since the Fiesta Bowl is played in Arizona.

-Copper Helmet.

-Copper State Flag used on sleeves and undershirt with new "Fiesta Bowl" themed logo.

-Number font is similar to current but different, it is supposed to match the wordmark & NOB better.

-Arizona wordmark used on pants (normally not a fan of this but thought it worked well for this set)

-Gradient is used to create a "sunset" feel, it features more red to avoid clashing with the jersey color.

Style Guide:

ArizonaStyleGuide_zpsf27dea56.png

Model Template: Jay Ajayi (Boise State) & Nick Wilson (Arizona)

BoiseStatevsArizonaModel_zpsba801c9b.png

Archived