Utah Stallions Logos

CDunn

So I'm finally learning Illustrator. I've done a couple of vector logos like a set for a band, my personal logo, and Royal Mortgage for umlegend(which I think fell through). But this is my first vector sports logo set. I decided to do my Utah Stallions design from the Webdav Challenge. It's wierd to think that the original is over a year old now. It's far from perfect, but for my first try at something like this in Illustrator, I'm pretty happy.

Colors: Light navy blue(the same color the Florida Panthers used their first season or two in the NHL), Black, gold.

The main logo: Basically the old design with a few changes. You'll notice that the horse is missing an ear and a mouth. I didn't put in an ear because it made the mane look really busy and cluttered. The mouth I left out because whatever I did just looked really out of place. So the horse just has his mouth closed. This also keeps the Denver Broncos comparisons lower.

Wordmark: Didn't really know what to do for this originally. Paynomind had taught me to do that two color letter thing so I decided to use that(thanks). I think the wordmark turned out pretty well.

Alt logo: This was a stumper. I wanted to use the Utah state outline at first, but Utah is a dumb looking state, it's just two squares. Then I wanted to do an interlocking U and S, but whenever I looked at it I always thought of United States. So I just went with a U. This is cool because it is a U for Utah, but it also doubles as a horse shoe. I didn't add the little holes for a horse shoe because that made it too much like the Indy Colts.

Uniforms: Just an idea I had. It started out as a maroon, navy, and vegas gold jersey for a redo of the Florida Panthers, but I really liked it for the Stallions so I recolored it and made some changes. The problem now with it is I get a sort of Saint Louis Blues feel to it.

stallions_finala.gif

stallions_finalb.gif

Home Uniform

Road Uniform

Overall this has great potential.

I would try your best to totally eliminate black from the design. Additionally, I would probably switch to another shade if blue, maybe even get rid of it.

No matter what you do with the horseshoe you will inevitably bring up comparisons to the Colts, even more so because of the color choices.

I really like the simple design of the uniforms because it doesn't distract from the logo.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Do you find the black unneccesary like in the Royals or Mets schemes or just hard to see with the blue? Maybe it's just my screen brightness, but the blue is very distinguishable against the black on my screen. I would consider going to a more royal blue, but I don't like the way royal blue looks against the gold. It makes the entire thing too bright. Also, it would make the secondary look even more Coltish. I'm working on changing the check/eye bone line a little and on making a new secondary. I'm a little stumped, so I might make a full bodied version of the horse, basing it on the original. Any ideas?

BUMP

There something about the horse head that seems out of proportion to me - I can't quite figure out if it's the angle of the head or the length of the snout, but it just seems a little off. That being said - it's light years better than the recolored retro-ish things that I have the middling skill to put out...

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

Do you find the black unneccesary like in the Royals or Mets schemes or just hard to see with the blue?

I think it is a little bit of both. The black, when combined with the dark blue, will probably only end up blending together when it comes to uniform design. Also, on my monitor it is a bit difficult to distinguish between the black and blue on first glance.

I'm working on changing the check/eye bone line a little and on making a new secondary.

I would do as you suggested and make a full bodied version. It might help in giving you a better overall perspective of the horse.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I agree with the blue and back discussion... blue as the dark colour and white as the light colour would work much better.

Also, my main issue is the way the mane comes right up behind the eye... in my experience, horse's mane comes between the ears, and only along the neck does it begin to spread beyond the narrow area between the ears. Speaking of ears... I can't make them out on this design.

That all said, I like the shading on the snout (perhaps try adding nostril and mouth), and I must say this is already better than that St. Louis Stallions logo they had proposed for NFL expansion.

...I just caught on that the upside down horseshoe also represents the letter "U"... very clever, although it loses a bit of that meaning because the Colts use something very similar without any allusion to any "U"s... although... their most famous quarterback ever (not Peyton) was known as Johnny U...

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived