SMS Hockey concept

Kess

It's almost not fair to call it a concept because it's just re-coloring a current jersey and slapping different logos on it, but...here's one for Southwest Missouri State University hockey, an ACHA Division II team. I like 'em better than their current set (as seen here), which really aren't that bad for this level. It would be cool to see them on the ice, but as evidenced by EZ's experience with the Topeka Tarantulas, it would probably be too expensive. Here they are, though (c&p):

SMS Bears white

SMS Bears maroon

There's talk of building a new downtown arena in Springfield to host minor league hockey - likely the CHL or UHL - and one of the possible names mentioned was Springfield Patriots. I have no logo skills, but here's a jersey idea. I always imagined a Civil War-era Union soldier on ice skates weilding a hockey stick, a la the Providence Friar crossed with the Springfield Rifles' logo (the Rifles are a semi-pro football team). I'm not sure if I like or hate the star on the hip, but it's there:

Springfield Patriots white

Springfield Patriots dark

I was also inspired by my bro-in-law's Captain America wallpaper and t-shirt and came up with an alternate. I kinda dig it.

Captain America alt

Big-ups to Roger Clemente for the jersey template and resources. Feel free to offer constructive criticism. And maybe destructive criticism.

SpringfieldCardinalsWord.gif

Mizzou does - it's a club team just like SMS, the only problem being that they have to play their home games 30 miles away in Jefferson City because there's no indoor ice rink in Columbia.

They do. SMS took 3 out of 4 from mu this year, outscoring the Tigers 24-10. One benefit SMS has is their home ice is about three blocks north of campus, while mu has to play in Jeff City.

edit--Too quick for me, yholla.

Great Concepts. Love the Capt. America Alt. Jersey!!! :notworthy:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Thanks for the compliment, 1991. I'd be interested to see your SMS concepts. I'm a life-long SMS fan and have really enjoyed the addition of the club hockey team. Never thought I'd say "Wanna go see SMS hockey play?"

Here are a couple of other concepts I posted on the board many moons ago:

Paw prints in white

Paw prints in maroon

NYR-inspired home

and away

And, of course, the infamous big bear alt

Guard your grill for this one

God only knows what I was thinking here

"Onward, upward, SMS is here!"

For a college club jersey, the currents aren't bad. That said, if you made the logo more crest-sized on these Boston recolours, they'd be perfect.

Ahh, reminds me of when we got our first set of jerseys for the rollerhockey club at Northeast....

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, (i just check it), but it made me wonder, how does one start a club, is it student-founded? do you need faculty-sponsors, etc.? It's intrigued me because i think it would be a lot of fun to be able to run it, sort of like being a miniature AD. I'll be a freshman this fall, and i have dreams of starting a club for some obscure (in this area) sport, like aussie rules :D or rugby, since i don't have much experience at any organized sports (thus taking away everyone else's advantage over me, mwah ha ha!)

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

I believe SMS' hockey team gets a little bit of money from the Student Organization Funding Allocation Council (SOFAC), but must raise the bulk of its money. THey have a lot of sponsors and do things to raise money. The players also pay quite a bit out of pocket. Students organized it and I think they have a faculty sponsor.

Club sports can be a lot of fun. There is a club lacrosse team at SMS that finished first in the nation in their division during their spring season. Rugby would be a cool one to start, and I would wager there are club teams at several schools across the state.

BTW...the great Brad Ziegler is from Odessa. He helped pitch the Bears to the CWS last year.

Yeah, I had Brad's mom for a substitute teacher many times, she's pretty funny. And, as an Odessa-pimping note (though i mildly hate the town) we have another pitching prospect, Steve McReynolds (not sure where he is nowadays, i think he got drafted), and one of the six US women's gymnasts, Terin Humphrey (graduated with her). Not bad for a high school of 650.

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

hey kess i'm going to try and put something up as soon as possible, and i'm also working a slightly altered logo of their current as well as some new ones but it'll be a little while before their done, i'm also working on logos/uniormes, etc of teams like mizzou, minnesota t-wolves, boston celtics, reeds spring wolves, branson pirates and more.

P.S. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, AND ALSO REMEMBER IT'S JUST A FEW MONTHS BEFORE THE MVC CHAMPION LADY BEARS HIT THE FLOOR FOR ANOTHER FINAL FOUR RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

sms.gif

Kess,

Those SMS (2nd group) jerseys Rock! Great work :D

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived