NFL Group Divisions

RZF

When Roger Goodell became commissioner in 2006, he wanted to change things up a bit. After four seasons with the new divisional realignments and new schedule formula, he noticed that way too many mediocre teams made the playoffs due to playing in a terrible division. He introduced this new concept of grouping, similar to many international soccer leagues.

AFC and NFC still stayed, but the divisions were discarded. Under the new format, teams are randomized into one of four groups: Group A, Group B, Group C, and Group D. In the following season, the teams are randomized again, being placed in a new group. This, obviously, is to have good teams and bad teams in the same division, making the playoffs better quality. The playoffs remained the same format as before. Due to the realignment every year, the scheduling formula is altered slightly. It goes as follows:

6 games against members from group (not changed from before)

4 games against another group from the conference (Every year it will always be Group A vs. Group C and Group B vs. Group D)

2 games against team's rival(s) or closest team geographically

4 games against the same group from the other conference (Group A vs. Group A, Group B vs. Group B, etc.)

When a team plays another team, the next time they play will be at the opposite home venue from the previous.

Without further ado, here are the groups for the 2006 season:

AFC

Group A

Cincinnati

Denver

Miami

Tennessee

Group B

Cleveland

Indianapolis

NY Jets

Oakland

Group C

Buffalo

Baltimore

Houston

San Diego

Group D

Jacksonville

Kansas City

New England

Pittsburgh

NFC

Group A
Atlanta

Dallas

Detroit

San Francisco

Group B

Arizona

Chicago

New Orleans

Washington

Group C

Carolina

Minnesota

NY Giants

St. Louis

Group D

Green Bay

Philadelphia

Seattle

Tampa Bay

I will be simulating the season according to every team's schedule. C&C is always appreciated.

If the teams were truly randomly distributed, how would it help guard against having bad division winners make the playoffs? You could end up with teams 29-32 in one division.

If the teams were truly randomly distributed, how would it help guard against having bad division winners make the playoffs? You could end up with teams 29-32 in one division.

I'll see how this year "goes" and I might twist it for the next season.

It should really help teams that are stuck in divisions like the AFC East where Tom Brady pretty much just sticks his d1ck in them twice a year and there's not much they can do about it.

Also since you take the familiarity aspect out of it, there's probably a better shot of random teams beating the great teams since the great teams wouldn't have played them twice a year forever. That could work the other way too of course.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived