sc49erfan15's "Who Am I?" - NASCAR/Daytona 500 Edition

sc49erfan15

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, mr.nascar13 said:

I got it now! Harry Gant!

mr.nascar13 steals one away - Harry Gant is who we were looking for!

rpm_g_gant2_576x324.jpg   E963CE9B1A3C4CFDAE69139099E40F35.ashx?w=

I. As mentioned, Gant finished 2nd multiple times at Daytona, but never won a race there. 

II. Gant had many nicknames - "Handsome Harry," "Bandit," and "Mr. September." The latter came after he won 4 Winston Cup and 2 Busch Series races in September 1991. Reggie Jackson, of course, was "Mr. October."

III. Skoal was Gant's sponsor for all 18 of his Sprint Cup wins and 16 of his 21 Xfinity Series wins.

IV. As raysox said, a green car is considered bad luck. Apparently nobody told Harry, who drove a green car for most of his career.

V. Gant was primarily a carpenter by trade, and didn't consider racing a full-time career option until he started winning.

Extra clues: Gant was the 1985 IROC champion, and at age 76, lives a quiet life away from NASCAR in rural Taylorsville, NC.

Can RyanMcD or raysox pull ahead for the win? We'll see tomorrow in Round 9!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Unfortunately I got a late start this morning and didn't have time to get Round 9 up. It feels weird keeping his going after the 500, so I'll just save that driver's clues for next year - assuming infrared re-ups my sponsorship, of course.

Thanks for playing, everyone! I enjoyed making the clues and hope you enjoyed participating.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived