sc49erfan15's "Who Am I?" - NASCAR/Daytona 500 Edition

sc49erfan15

1 hour ago, See Red said:

Darrell Waltrip?

Man, y'all are good. I tried to make this one tougher. It looks like I'm going to have to ramp up the difficulty some more - or start asking questions about Joe Ruttman and Robert Pressley.

4842364211_4dea8e9ed3.jpg   D_Waltrip_3.jpg?width=737&height=585

I. D-Dubya is a commentator for Fox's NASCAR coverage.

II. One of Waltrip's early nicknames was "Jaws" (which he shares with Ron Jaworski), and Waltrip did the Ickey Shuffle in victory lane upon winning the 1989 Daytona 500.

III. DW is one of 9 drivers to win 3 or more Sprint Cup titles.

IV. Due to a scoring error, a 1990 race at North Wilkesboro was awarded to Brett Bodine. It was later discovered (Waltrip protested it from the outset) that Waltrip should have been credited with the victory. It was of special significance to Waltrip, as 1990 would end up being the first season since 1974 that Waltrip did not win a Sprint Cup race. This was, in part, because...

V. Waltrip was injured in practice for the 1990 Pepsi 400 at Daytona, subsequently missing most of the next 8 races. South African road racer Sarel van der Merwe filled in for Waltrip at Watkins Glen, the only time an African has started a Sprint Cup race.

Round 5 tomorrow!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Round 5:

I. I have one win in the Sprint Cup, Xfinity, and Truck series combined.

II. I do have championships in other racing series.

III. I was involved in what could've very easily been one of NASCAR's worst accidents.

IV. At one time, I drove for a team that won over 100 Sprint Cup races and 6 Sprint Cup championships.

V. I came close to having one of the biggest upsets in NASCAR history.

Who am I?

JEEZ I went through so much to find this. I was thinking it was Franchitti, but he never won a race. Then I thought Hornish, but he had 3 race wins. Names like Carpontier, Villinueve, Unser all came to mine.

But I believe the answer is Dave Blaney. He has 1 win in Xfinity, won a World of Outlaws championship, raced for RCR once, and almost won the 2012 Daytona 500 during Montoya's jet dryer red flag.

12 minutes ago, raysox said:

JEEZ I went through so much to find this. I was thinking it was Franchitti, but he never won a race. Then I thought Hornish, but he had 3 race wins. Names like Carpontier, Villinueve, Unser all came to mine.

But I believe the answer is Dave Blaney. He has 1 win in Xfinity, won a World of Outlaws championship, raced for RCR once, and almost won the 2012 Daytona 500 during Montoya's jet dryer red flag.

I have to agree

78i78o78.png

banner.pngvirginia-tech-state-silhouette-decal-9.png10574358_10153800658784905_4912776899242569995_n.jpg

1 hour ago, raysox said:

Raysox gets on the board! It's Dave Blaney. Yes, it's obscure, but I had to do something when they were being guessed so quickly. :D I'm trying for a mix of well-known and relatively-obscure drivers from many eras.

Victory lane: race winner Dave Blaney celebratesDaytona-Beach-Daytona-Motor-Speedway-201

I. In nearly 600 combined starts, Blaney won one NASCAR race, in the Xfinity series - the Dollar General 300 at Charlotte in 2006. His best Sprint Cup finish was 3rd, thrice.

II. Blaney won two sprint car championships - the 1984 USAC Silver Crown and the 1995 World of Outlaws titles.

III. Footage is hard to find, but Blaney went on his side and roof-first into the wall in the Xfinity Series at Talladega in 1998. He walked away, but the outcome could've been much worse had he hit the catch fencing or another car pushed him into the wall with even more force.

IV. Blaney drove AOL and Jack Daniel's-sponsored #07 cars for Richard Childress Racing in 2004 and 2005.

V. Blaney was in the lead under caution during the 2012 Daytona 500, when Juan Pablo Montoya collided with the jet dryer under caution, resulting in a huge fire and red-flagging the race for nearly two hours. As the race was already delayed by rain by 30 hours and started on Monday at 7 pm, the race was nearly called, which would have given Blaney the win - and one of the biggest upset wins in NASCAR history.

Round 6 tomorrow!

I won't be around this afternoon/evening, so we're getting an early start on round 6.

I. I never won a points race at Daytona. I came close a couple times, though.

II. Three of my career milestones came in this prestigious race.

III. It doesn't get much more Southern than me. Well...

IV. I have an average finish of 2nd in a NASCAR series.

V. With a good run this year, Matt Kenseth could break my record - or Kurt Busch could tie it. Jeff Gordon could've broken it last year.

Who am I?

I wanna say Terry Labonte, but Ryan beat me to it

Never won a 500, opened and closed his career wins in the Southern 500, from Corpus Christie, TX, which is super southern geographically, a 2nd place average in 3 truck races.

Stumped on the last clue though. Gordon holds most of the statistics over Terry.

40 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Terry Labonte?

RyanMcD gets on the board - it's Texas Terry.

3e6921c5cb9bfbfe9c0da42c67e3311e.jpg   TerryLabonteBristol.jpg

I. Labonte's only win at Daytona was in the 1989 Twin 125 qualifier. He finished 2nd in the 1986, 1990, and 1997 500s.

II. My first start, first win, and last win all came in the Southern 500 - 1978, 1980, and 2003, respectively.

III. Labonte hails from Corpus Christi, TX - 27°44' N. Apart from the clear winner (Marcos Ambrose), the other obvious (Juan Pablo Montoya), and other drivers from south Florida (Bobby Allison) - Labonte is one of the "Southernmost" Sprint Cup winners.

IV. Labonte only ran 3 Truck series races, but he finished 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in them.

V. The 12 years between Labonte's first Sprint Cup championship (1984) and his second/last (1996) is a record. Jeff Gordon (last championship 2001) could've broken it last year, but is of course now retired. Matt Kenseth won his in 2003, meaning if he wins it all this year, he's beaten the longest drought. Same for Kurt Busch (2004). All other pre-2001 Sprint Cup Champions are now either retired or run part-time schedules.

Leaderboard:

raysox - 2

dont care - 1

Dalcowboyfan92 - 1 

See Red - 1

RyanMcD29 - 1

With only 3 days until the Daytona 500, can anyone pull even with raysox? We'll see tomorrow for round 7!

Round 7:

I. I'm considered to be a bridge between eras.

II. My sponsor during my glory days was a weird fit.

III. 40% of my Sprint Cup wins came at the same track.

IV. I am one of only 10 drivers to win both of these.

V. I raced one of the most brilliant races of all-time.

Who am I?

18 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Alan Kulwicki? That's a tough one, but I figured Hooters was a sorta weird fit for him and Mark Martin's Viagara sponsorship wasn't as much of his glory days as Valvoline was, as well as Kulwicki bridging the Earnhardt and Gordon eras in a sense.

RyanMcD makes it two in a row!

Alan Kulwicki_7hooters1992ref-vi_zw1.jpg

I. An owner-driver during a time when owner-drivers were disappearing, an engineer before the engineering aspect of NASCAR became dominant, Kulwicki is seen as a bridge between the "classic" and "modern" eras of NASCAR. Kulwicki held a B.S. in engineering from UW-Milwaukee, the first Cup champion (and possibly the first Cup race winner) to have a Bachelor's degree.

II. Kulwicki was often described as a loner and a perfectionist with an impatient, demanding, no-nonsense personality. During his 1992 championship campaign, he was sponsored by Hooters.

III. Kulwicki only won 5 Sprint Cup races in his career, 2 of them at Bristol.

IV. Only 10 drivers have won both the Rookie of the Year and Sprint Cup Championship, of which Kulwicki is one.

V. The 1992 Hooters 500 in Atlanta is one of the landmark races in NASCAR lore. It was Richard Petty's last start, Jeff Gordon's first start, and 6 drivers entered the race (the last of the season) with a mathematical chance at the championship. Locked in a battle with Bill Elliott for both the race and the championship, Kulwicki gambled on fuel strategy and stayed out an extra 3 laps (risking running out of fuel) in order to gain 5 bonus points for leading the most laps in the race. The gamble paid off - Kulwicki led 103 laps, while Elliott led 102. Bill Elliott won the race, but Kulwicki finished second and won the 1992 Winston Cup Championship by a mere 10 points - essentially one lap. Kulwicki died just over 4 months later in a plane crash near Bristol, TN - his winningest NASCAR track.

Oh, and having Kulwicki for Round 7 was no accident.

RyanMcD and raysox are now tied - will one of them pull ahead tomorrow in round 8?

Round 8:

I. My best finish in any NASCAR race at Daytona was 2nd.

II. I nearly share something with a MLB HOFer.

III. I had the same sponsor for all my Sprint Cup wins - and most of my Xfinity Series ones, too.

IV. I flouted superstition for most of those wins.

V. I considered racing the second-best thing I was good at.

Who am I?

Gonna take a shot at this, is it Bobby Labonte? It only works if you consider "Nascar races" as points races.

Labonte won a Duel race, but his best finish was 2nd otherwise. All of his wins came before 2003, which means Interstate Batteries was on the hood. Also green is considered bad luck in racing.

It's not Bobby Labonte or Johnny Benson - though I do appreciate such a random guess! I mean, Dave Blaney was a previous answer... B)

This driver never won a NASCAR race, points or otherwise, at Daytona. He did finish 2nd in a few Duel races, as well as a few Firecracker 400s. His best finish in the Daytona 500 was 6th.

This driver is still alive, but is not involved in NASCAR. This driver was also a champion of a now-defunct racing series.

Archived