*DEAD* History of Quadball

~Bear

Hello. I'm new to CCSLC, but I have been inspired by all the fictional league history concepts that have been created. I didn't want to do football or hockey because Veras and hawkfan89 already have those sports locked up, and I don't want to do basketball or baseball either. Instead, I decided to create a sport called Quadball. You can see the rules in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

Basics

Quadball is a sport that requires a football field separated into four equal zones called quadrants and two equally long goal-zones. The object is for your team to land the ball (about the size of a volleyball) into the opponents' goal-zone by either bouncing it in or tossing it in. 

How-to Play
In order to get the ball into the opponents goal-zone, teamwork must be involved. Some players are confined to their zones, so good passing and communication are essential. Passing the ball can be either bouncing and the more-efficient throwing. The offense, once taking possession in the offensive quadrants, has 32 seconds to "shoot" (more on that below).

Defense, as in all sports, has to stop the offense. This can be achieved either by deflecting/intercepting an offensive pass or wrestling the ball out of the opponent with the ball.

To shoot the ball, the offense has to bounce/throw the ball into the goal-zone or have the ball intercepted by a goalie. If the ball, after a bounce or a toss, lands on the ground inside the goal-zone, it is considered a goal and 1 point. The offense, however, cannot pass the "defensive line", often shortened to 'D-Line'. This line add some space between the goal-zone and the other quadrants. The defense are the only players that can move into this zone.

To start the game, a toss-up from the "center-circle" occurs. Similar to basketball, the first team to catch the ball gets first possession that half. This occurs to start each half. All players can enter the center-circle at all times except the goalies.

Positions

Upper Defense (UD) The Upper Defense has to stay in the upper defensive quadrant for his team (either Quad 1 or Quad 2). There are two UDs for a team on a field at a time.

Lower Defense (LD) The Lower Defense has to stay in the lower defensive quadrant for his team (either Quad 3 or Quad 4). There are two LDs for a team on a field at a time.

Traveler (T) The Traveler can move between both defensive quadrants at free-will. There is only one T for a team on a field at a time.

Upper Forward (UF) The Upper Forward has to stay in the upper offensive quadrant for his team (either Quad 1 or Quad 2). There are two UFs for a team on a field at a time.

Lower Forward (LF) The Lower Forward has to stay in the lower offensive quadrant for his team (either Quad 3 or Quad 4). There are two LFs for a team on a field at a time.

Center (C) The Center can travel everywhere accept the goal-zones or past the offensive D-line. They usually have the most endurance and are good at defense as well as scoring. Only one C per team can be on the field at a time.

Goalie (G) Goalies are the only players allowed in the goal-zones. They can use any means to make sure the ball does not land in the goal-zone. There are two goalies at a time for one team.

Penalties

Similar to football/soccer, penalties have a yellow card/red card rule with different names. There are three types of fouls: Benigns, Incidents, and Ejections. Benigns include shot-clock violation, delays (leaving your assigned quad or entering the D-line illegally), out-of-bounds (ball deflects of you out-of-bounds), and accidentally kicking the ball. This gives the other team the ball at the center-point of the field. Incidents are more major, such as tripping a player, tackling a player, taunting a player, pushing a player out of bounds, purposefully kicking the ball, and elbowing. Two of these for one player result in an ejection. Ejections are the most major, and result in an automatic ejection. These include punching a player, fighting, spiking the ball after a call, talking back to an official, or kicking another player. Two ejections result in the loss of the traveler position, bringing your player total on the field down one. Three result in the loss of a center. Coaches can also get ejected, and their total counts to the ejection total on the field.

Other Game Facts

Each game is played on a football-field size field. The end-zones in an american football type game constitute the size of the goal-zones, only the goal-zones are about five yards deeper. Each game has a total of 12 referees, usually two per quadrants, one per goal zone, and two others moving about. A standard game is 90 minutes, split into two halves of 45. If the game is tied, 15 minute periods will continue until one team has a higher score at the end of a period. The game uses a running clock, so extra-time is added at the end. Each team gets 5 timeouts per game to substitute or regroup. A team gets all the non-used timeouts plus one per overtime period. Each team also gets a challenge. If right, they are awarded another, if wrong, a timeout is taken away. A team can have a total of 3 challenges per game.

Court Diagramimage.jpg

I've decided to do a "History of" thread, showing the growth of a premier league of Quadball in North America: the Professional Quadball Federation (PQF). In the next couple posts, I will illustrate the beginnings of Quadball and the formation of the league. 

All of my designs, for the time being, will be hand drawn. I may eventually, depending on how long this thread lasts, upgrade to creating designs online. However, my only software currently is MS Paint, and I feel my designs, especially logos, would be better hand-drawn.

The first 10 cities for the inaugural season are as followed:

Baltimore

Boston (named)

Buffalo (named)

Chicago

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Detroit

New York (named)

Philadelphia (named)

Pittsburgh (named)

I am looking for name suggestions for the unnamed cities. I have designs for the named teams done and they will be posted in the next couple days. If their is a city you think should be traded out, feel free to comment. However, the city must be large enough in the time period to hold the team and I'm am sticking to the Great Lakes and Northeast regions.

1 minute ago, sleuthpanther said:

I'm intrigued by this, the sport sounds super fun and very original! I'll try brainstorming some names for you, but in the meantime I'm really excited for this thread.

Good! My designs are hand-drawn, and this is my first thread, so their might be some weaker designs as the thread starts out. I'm just looking for good criticism for my designs to get better, and I thought doing a "History of" thread would be neat. 

June 28, 1904

Patrick Farley went on a trip to England to visit distant family who still lived there. While there, he attended a football (or soccer) match. With the free movement of players, Farley wondered if the players carried and threw the ball rather and kicking it. Thus, the idea for Quadball was born.

August 6, 1904

Back in the USA, Farley decided to create a game that would be similar to soccer but with your hands. At around this time, Farley started attending college football games. While the field was still long, he liked the use of end-zones. This started sparking his imagination, creating a cross between the two types of football.

August 21, 1904

Farley, going to his alma mater of Notre Dame, presented his idea for a new sport, at the time coined ‘Tossball’. However, the school sports program wasn’t very impressed, so they sent him off without creating a program. This was not to stop Farley, however, as he refined the rules.

September 30, 1904

Farley struck an idea. What if, because of the largeness of the field, players were confined to certain areas? This became the new face of a sport now coined Quadball after the four quadrants on a coordinate plane. Soon, more specific and important positions were made. Farley got a group of his friends to test out the game, and it worked.

December 13, 1904

Farley presented his new sport to Notre Dame. This time, the college was more intrigued, and started to create a program as Farley spread his idea to other schools.

August 11, 1907

Farley’s new sport has spread. Colleges with programs created the first collegiate leagues to go along side college football. After a couple years, the sport started to spread in the Northeastern and Midwest USA.

February 24, 1921

The sport has really taken off. But, as the athletes graduate, they can only play with friends. At this point, the first league, the Midwest Quadball League (MQL) was founded. It included semi-pro teams turned professional.

April 8, 1922

Seeing the success of the MQL, a Northeastern Quadball Association (NQA) was formed. This league also succeeded and began to compete with the MQL.

March 20, 1946

The success of the two leagues prompted leagues such as the Sun Belt League of Quadball (SBLQ), the Great Plains Quadball League (GPQL) and the Pacific Association of Quadball (PAQ). However, World War II took a beating on these leagues, many teams having to drop out. Now, the two starter leagues were down to just four teams in the MQL and six in the NQA and shortened seasons with soldiers returning home. The two competitive leagues came together and decided to merge under one name: the Professional Quadball Federation (PQF). All the teams, which were financially stable, were included, creating a ten-team league. The league decided to start play in 1947 and run an 18 game schedule with each team playing the others twice: once home and once away. The cities included were:

Baltimore

Boston

Buffalo

Chicago

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Detroit

New York

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

April 2, 1946 

The newly-formed PQF reveals its first logo. The logo features a red and white design with block letters. There are 10 stars, 1 per team, and the number 1946 to represent the founding year.

image.jpg

FYI - I'm not exactly aiming to be time-period specific. I will have simple designs for the earlier years and try to follow trends, but do not judge solely on that aspect. However, I will take pointers. The first team, the Pittsburgh Vulcans, will be up tomorrow. Keep the name suggestions coming. C&C appreciated!

Cool idea for a sport, football+football+four square.  My ideas for team names are the Baltimore Crabbers, the Detroit Motors/MotorMen, and the Chicago Cows.  The cows nickname is a tribute to the meatpacking industry, and packers is already taken.

10 minutes ago, BengalPumaOcelot said:

Cool idea for a sport, football+football+four square.  My ideas for team names are the Baltimore Crabbers, the Detroit Motors/MotorMen, and the Chicago Cows.  The cows nickname is a tribute to the meatpacking industry, and packers is already taken.

I like the Crabbers and I was thinking doing Motors, but Cows pulls too many parallels to Bulls for me, and other leagues do exist in this universe. These are good suggestions, so thanks!

1 minute ago, ~Bear said:

I like the Crabbers and I was thinking doing Motors, but Cows pulls too many parallels to Bulls for me, and other leagues do exist in this universe. These are good suggestions, so thanks!

I completely forgot about the Bulls there, lol.

NOTE – If anyone is interested, I have the stadium leases in the spoiler below. Each team has their own stadium for Quadball although the capacities are fairly small at this point.

Spoiler

Baltimore – Pepsi Stadium (11 years) 27,530

Boston – Xerox Stadium in Boston (10 years) 30,550

Buffalo – Niagra Field (9 years) 22,760

Chicago – Walgreens Field (12 years) 34,360

Cincinnati – Ohio Field (9 years) 24,890

Cleveland – Erie Stadium (16 years) 21,550

Detroit – Motor City Stadium (12 years) 29,290

New York – IBM Stadium (15 years) 39,550

Philadelphia – Liberty Complex (14 years) 36,810

Pittsburgh – Field of Pittsburgh (13 years) 25,100

May 4, 1946

The appointed commissioner of the league is the old commissioner of the NQA, Jeff Hamilton. Jeff Hamilton announced the league would not change the rules from the original Quadball game presented by Patrick Farley.

May 27, 1946

Since the schedule had already been announced, the PQF announced the playoff format. The two best teams in the league would play in a championship game called the America Derby. The winner of the America Derby would take home the Farley Cup as a trophy for a year (similar to how the Stanley Cup works in the NHL). The game would be played in a neutral location every year.

June 14, 1946 

It is announced that the PQF is keeping the "one jersey rule," stating that all teams must have one jersey that's different from everyone else's in base color. If this can't be the case, another jersey is required. Some teams only have one uniform while some do indeed have two. The league currently is not concerned with TV.

Here is the design for the Pittsburgh Vulcans. Their logo is very simple: just a golden hammer. Their uniform resembles those of the retro Pirates with a single black stripe at the end of each sleeve. This look is a classic in the PQF. image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm still looking for name suggestions. Tomorrow will be the Buffalo Warriors. C&C appreciated!

You had my curiosity, now you have my attention, good design!

I would suggest using TheGiantsFan's template, because the shorts are a little rough imo.

Welcome to Kansas, where you can see your future, literally.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

Ok not a bad start, first the logo. Right now it just doesn't look like a hammer. I thought it was a cross when I first saw it. I'd make some edges a little sharper, maybe a few thick bands around the handle area. You're in the older time of the league so simple isn't bad, but it might be too simple right now. Jersey looks pretty good.

12 minutes ago, RedfieldNick said:

You had my curiosity, now you have my attention, good design!

I would suggest using TheGiantsFan's template, because the shorts are a little rough imo.

My next designs use this template, but after the first four I'll use his. Do you know where I could find it? 

7 minutes ago, sleuthpanther said:

Ok not a bad start, first the logo. Right now it just doesn't look like a hammer. I thought it was a cross when I first saw it. I'd make some edges a little sharper, maybe a few thick bands around the handle area. You're in the older time of the league so simple isn't bad, but it might be too simple right now. Jersey looks pretty good.

It is very simple. I'll attempt another and see if I can tweak it a little. I originally had a thick outlined one, but I went too thick, so I wanted to try a lighter outline. Thanks for the feedback!

1 hour ago, RedfieldNick said:

Here it is, u can use one or both unis as u evolve the series

image.jpeg

Thanks! As I said, the next teams have designs on my hand-drawn template, but I'll definitely use this. 

I update the Hammers logo: they're below to compare. 

New One:

image.jpg

Old One:

image.jpg

They are the same shade of yellow, but lighting impacted the color of the picture. Remember: Please suggest names for the unnamed cities above. C&C appreciated, the Buffalo Warriors will be up tomorrow. 

I'd love to see Boston maybe go with more a Portuguese theme since there was a lot of immigrants from that area, plus it would unique since it wouldn't necessarily Irish themed. Maybe go Boston Voyageurs?

BOS2.png.28748cfa2d8957954518a9f81f4cd4e8.pngboston_captains_jersey_sig_by_verasthebrujah-dbp5b0z.jpg

25 minutes ago, Darknes said:

I'd love to see Boston maybe go with more a Portuguese theme since there was a lot of immigrants from that area, plus it would unique since it wouldn't necessarily Irish themed. Maybe go Boston Voyageurs?

That's not a bad idea. I like the route your going, and it doesn't interfere with other teams in the Boston area. 

Just now, ~Bear said:

That's not a bad idea. I like the route your going, and it doesn't interfere with other teams. 

Go with a sort of Wooden Ship look with Red and Green being the primary colors?

BOS2.png.28748cfa2d8957954518a9f81f4cd4e8.pngboston_captains_jersey_sig_by_verasthebrujah-dbp5b0z.jpg

1 minute ago, Darknes said:

Go with a sort of Wooden Ship look with Red and Green being the primary colors?

I do need green teams, I don't have any. I like red and green although I might and a dash of gold/yellow because of the Portugal flag. I'll work on it. In the meantime, I'll see if there are other suggestions I like. 

Archived