MLB Redesign Project - 3/30 New York Yankees added (Temporarily Paused)

PrimalCookie

Hello all, I am starting a MLB project. My NBA alternate universe will continue, but I will do this alongside it. 

The team completion order is in the spoiler:

Spoiler

Bold means done

AL EAST

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Tampa Bay Rays

Toronto Blue Jays

AL CENTRAL

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Kansas City Royals

Minnesota Twins

AL WEST

Houston Astros

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Anaheim Angels

Oakland Athletics

Seattle Mariners

Texas Rangers

NL EAST

Atlanta Braves

Miami Marlins

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

NL CENTRAL 

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Brewers

Pittsburgh Pirates

St Louis Cardinals

NL WEST

Arizona Diamondbacks

Colorado Rockies

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

With that, here is the first team: the Baltimore Orioles!

#1 BALTIMORE ORIOLES

HOME

orioles home.jpg

AWAY

orioles away.jpg

HOME ORANGE ALT

orioles orange alt.jpg

HOME/AWAY BLACK ALT

orioles black alt.jpg

BATTING PRACTICE

orioles bp.jpg

All in all, this is a pretty simple set. The '60s scripts make a return, and the O's will rock the front panels - all of their caps (excluding BP) have a front panel. All caps have the 'B' in the 'Baltimore' script that I used. I took great inspiration from a Orioles concept from 2009 (a lot of my inspiration will come from here, as this is one of my favorite threads on these boards) with the checkered striping, as I like the uniqueness of it. I am also using a new BP template: mainly primary color, secondary color sleeves, and side panels (team's choice). While I didn't put a unique design in the side panels for Baltimore, I might for, say, the Yankees, which (if I do it) will have pinstripes in the side panels. I also started using a template for my designs, which will hopefully make them better. C&C is greatly appreciated!

ExJworW.png

21 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Hello all, I am starting a MLB project. My NBA alternate universe will continue, but I will do this alongside it. 

The team completion order is in the spoiler:

Hide contents

Bold means done

AL EAST

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Tampa Bay Rays

Toronto Blue Jays

AL CENTRAL

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Kansas City Royals

Minnesota Twins

AL WEST

Houston Astros

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Anaheim Angels

Oakland Athletics

Seattle Mariners

Texas Rangers

NL EAST

Atlanta Braves

Miami Marlins

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

NL CENTRAL 

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Brewers

Pittsburgh Pirates

St Louis Cardinals

NL WEST

Arizona Diamondbacks

Colorado Rockies

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

With that, here is the first team: the Baltimore Orioles!

#1 BALTIMORE ORIOLES

HOME

orioles home.jpg

AWAY

orioles away.jpg

HOME ORANGE ALT

orioles orange alt.jpg

HOME/AWAY BLACK ALT

orioles black alt.jpg

BATTING PRACTICE

orioles bp.jpg

All in all, this is a pretty simple set. The '60s scripts make a return, and the O's will rock the front panels - all of their caps (excluding BP) have a front panel. All caps have the 'B' in the 'Baltimore' script that I used. I took great inspiration from a Orioles concept from 2009 (a lot of my inspiration will come from here, as this is one of my favorite threads on these boards) with the checkered striping, as I like the uniqueness of it. I am also using a new BP template: mainly primary color, secondary color sleeves, and side panels (team's choice). While I didn't put a unique design in the side panels for Baltimore, I might for, say, the Yankees, which (if I do it) will have pinstripes in the side panels. I also started using a template for my designs, which will hopefully make them better. C&C is greatly appreciated!

I can't imagine the Orioles not having any bird logos.

I think this is a nice start, but I would suggest a change on the logo caps: I would use the Oriole Cartoon for the home and road unis, the O's logo for the home alt and BP unis, and the B logo for the road alt uniform.

Also, I would keep the Orioles orange wordmark for the black uni, which, personally, is one of my favourite current baseball designs.

14 hours ago, Victormrey said:

I think this is a nice start, but I would suggest a change on the logo caps: I would use the Oriole Cartoon for the home and road unis, the O's logo for the home alt and BP unis, and the B logo for the road alt uniform.

Also, I would keep the Orioles orange wordmark for the black uni, which, personally, is one of my favourite current baseball designs.

Okay - so here are the upcoming changes for the Orioles:

Classic bird logo returns to the home/away cap, and appears on the chest for the BP

Orange wordmarks, white outline on black alternate

Red Sox coming soon, I just need to finish up the away alt and BP for them.

ExJworW.png

Personally I think the Orioles have some of the best uniforms in the entire league. I like the return to the 60s script and the use of the "B" logo but I'll agree the cartoon bird needs to be a more prominent part of the uniform. With the black alternate I think if you just stick with only orange script like they have now it'll look a lot nicer too. My biggest problem with the look is the checkered striping panelling on the pants and sleeves. It reminds me of the Maryland football uniforms from a few years ago. (see image below) I can see how it works well with the Maryland state flag aspect but i think it's a little overkill for it to be one every uniform. Maybe just use it for the batting practice or the orange alternate? Overall though it's a nice coherent look. I look forward to seeing more.

1.jpg

Carolina Panthers Oakland Athletics Anaheim Ducks Houston Rockets

After a long wait, I am back!

#2 BOSTON RED SOX

HOME

red sox home.jpg

AWAY

red sox away.jpg

HOME/AWAY RED ALT

red sox red alt.jpg

AWAY NAVY ALT

red sox navy alt.jpg

BATTING PRACTICE

red sox bp.jpg

Once again a simple set, as the Red Sox almost have it perfect as is. The home receives a cap with a red bill, but is otherwise unchanged. The away, as with all of the set, will go with NNOB. Again, other than this the away stays the same. The red alternate receives a red cap with a navy bill, white wordmarks with navy outlines, navy piping, and navy undershirts. The navy alternate is a navy version of the red, with red lettering to match the cap, red piping, and red undershirts. The BP uses the classic 70s stirrup design in the side panels, along with the socks. The crest is the red sox logo, with the cap having the logo as well. The cap has a white front panel and red bill, with the rest navy. Regarding the Orioles, I will probably complete all 30 teams, and then go back and fix the flaws. Yankees will be coming up next, hopefully quicker than the Red Sox came.

ExJworW.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finished the Yankees about 2 days after I posted the Red Sox, and then I forgot to post it. It's sad, I know, but on with

#3 BLASPHEMY (NEW YORK YANKEES)

HOME

yankees home.jpg

AWAY

yankees away.jpg

HOME CREAM/BLACK ALT

yankees home cream alt.jpg

AWAY PINSTRIPED ALT

yankees away pinstripe alt.jpg

BATTING PRACTICE

yankees bp.jpg

Once again a simple set, but what am I supposed to do to the Yanks? Home stays unchanged, while the away loses the white outline and cuff striping, with a grey NY on the cap. The home alternate goes way back to when the Yankees were using black instead of navy, with a pinstriped cap, nothing on the front of the uniform, and a number on the back. I went with cream to give it a vintage feel. The away alternate goes with pinstripes. The BP is navy with grey numbers and sleeves, with pinstripes in the side panels. The cap is mainly navy with a white front panel with pinstripes in it, with a grey bill. Next, we head to the Rays, who will be undergoing several changes. (No, it's not green) C&C is always appreciated!

ExJworW.png

Everyone, I think I will have to suspend this project for a while. I just have ran out of original ideas, because so many people have done MLB tweaks. However, this does not mean I won't be stopping with this project. TB is almost complete, but it's not the most original. I will be trying to revive my MLS project, fresh with templates. If I can get inspiration, then I will post a project here, but it will not be my main focus anymore, at least for the time being.

ExJworW.png

Your ideas are good, but I think you need to find a solid template to maintain consistency rather than hand-drawing everything. I make hand-drawn concepts and I use a printed off template very similar to the ones found on the Mothership. Even if your wordmarks, logos and lines aren't perfect, at least each concept will be the exact same size and shape. 

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Your ideas are good, but I think you need to find a solid template to maintain consistency rather than hand-drawing everything. I make hand-drawn concepts and I use a printed off template very similar to the ones found on the Mothership. Even if your wordmarks, logos and lines aren't perfect, at least each concept will be the exact same size and shape. 

I actually print out a template, and then use one of those light-board things to trace it out. So, they are the same size, just sometimes my camerawork isn't as good as it probably should be. 

ExJworW.png

How about using a carbon paper? Download a template, and draw it carefully there. Then you'd have a good base for every design, instead of repeating the template each time. I'd also use a rule for the pinstripes.

I find this hand-drawn series unique.

Sharp pencils and rulers would go a long way. Mine aren't a great example (they're still rather messy concepts, but I'd often use a regular pencil really lightly before committing with a colored pencil. Rulers would help you line up everything equally, which would make the pinstripes look more clear and organized.

Archived