LA Kings 50th Anniversary mini-series

Discrim

I had a bit of trouble sleeping a few nights ago, and then the idea for this mini-series came to me: take all of the Kings' old jerseys (with the exception of the first Edge jersey and the Burger King design).  Play a little mix-n-match with their crests and colors.  Have various opponents play along.  End result: I think I have an awesome idea, and I must post.

First up: 60s-70s jersey + Gretzky era crest & colors vs. California Golden Seals San Jose Sharks.  Yes, I felt it was worth the effort to cannibalize the Seals wordmark to create a Sharks version.

kings50thseries70s.png

Next up: the Flyers ripoffs worn for most of the 80s + 2000s era logos.  Since the 70s night slot was taken by the Sharks...guess who's coming in for 80s night?  That's right, the Flying V.  Funny thing about the Kings jersey, I was strongly considering either the coat of arms or just the lion as the crest, since I'd soured on that particular crown years ago.  Settled for the crown on front, and the lion on the breezers.

kings50thseries80s.png

90s Night will feature the Forum Blue & Gold vs. the Ducks, while 2K Night's itinerary will feature the Burger King vs. the Coyotes.  You have been warned :P

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

13 hours ago, worcat said:

next better be burger king vs. wild wing jumping out of the ice

How can we have 90s Night without Burger King and Wildwing?  By using the old school crown and Dionne-era colors instead :D  Yes, I know, you wanted to see me reinterpret the proverbial car wreck but got the orangeified 2nd Ducks alt instead, sorry to disappoint :P

lakings50thseries90s.png?ssitoken_147467

Tomorrow, the mini-series ends with 2K Night featuring the Coyotes and Burger King.  Tell a friend, tell your worst enemy, call your mayor, call her maybe.

2016cubscreamsig.png

51 minutes ago, BenD said:

That last kings set is awesome! Great job on all of these. Will you be doing this for any of the other 6 expansion teams?

Flyers: No.  Not because of any animosity, but the Quakers-style thing has been done, and they've largely stuck to the same theme and worn the same logo for their entire history.  Pulling something out of whole cloth would defeat the purpose, and arguably swiping from their fellow Philly teams would as well.

Penguins: I'm tempted to, now that you bring it up.  Well, I believe I have my next mini-series.

(North) Stars: leaning towards no, but maybe.

Blues: same boat as the Stars: probably not, but never say never.  Similar boat to the Flyers too, largely the same logo, and aside from that time they had red trim, largely consistent look, so making sure nobody could point and say "How is that any different from what they wear now?" might prove to be about as tricky as making those gimmicky angled numbers from the mid 90s (before anyone asks...NO.  There will be no weirdly angled numbers from me).

Seals: given their nonexistence, I think it'd be prudent to sub the Sharks for them if I decided to do it.  Hey, I already have one uni ready :D  and then send in the Blue Jackets when it's time for the Barons...if I did it.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A bit late, but the Kings Anniversary Series arrives at 2K Night...in which I've mistakenly left my normal labels on :hockeysmiley: pre-Edge Kings design, but in silver with a black yoke and purple/gold/black Northwestern striping, with the Gretzky-era Kings logo on the right shoulder, 50th Anniversary patch on the left, and Burger King as the crest.  On the other end of the rink, a simplified version of the Peyote Coyote jersey (I didn't feel like attempting that striping...I'm as disappointed in my inability as you must be), with the running 'yote on front, and the A-paw on the shoulders.

lakings50thseries2k.png

So the Kings Anniversary series is over...or is it?  Should I move on to the Penguins version, or should I hold off for a bit and take a stab at Ugly Alt Night?

2016cubscreamsig.png

5 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

A bit late, but the Kings Anniversary Series arrives at 2K Night...in which I've mistakenly left my normal labels on :hockeysmiley: pre-Edge Kings design, but in silver with a black yoke and purple/gold/black Northwestern striping, with the Gretzky-era Kings logo on the right shoulder, 50th Anniversary patch on the left, and Burger King as the crest.  On the other end of the rink, a simplified version of the Peyote Coyote jersey (I didn't feel like attempting that striping...I'm as disappointed in my inability as you must be), with the running 'yote on front, and the A-paw on the shoulders.

lakings50thseries2k.png

So the Kings Anniversary series is over...or is it?  Should I move on to the Penguins version, or should I hold off for a bit and take a stab at Ugly Alt Night?

Other than than the good looking King's jerseys, the other team's jerseys have looked good as well. That Arizona jersey should be the teams alt jersey. I think you should do a Penguins series. There should be many great jerseys out of that series.

7 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

lakings50thseries2k.png

More!

zyyMk1d.png

Archived