A MLB Uniform Style Guide - "The Double Knit Era"

TruColor

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris-

Thanks for the World series patch info. I too have seen earlier ones, but were not sure if they were used on the players' uniforms, or just made for souvenirs. Just like a lot of old All-Star game patches I have photos of which I am sure are from the period but came from the stadium concession stand. Looks like I'll have to dig for more old photos! Something else to do while I am here in Japan, to keep me sane.

Regarding the DBacks--- OOps! Brain freeze-- Of course I know that it was 1998, not 1997.... but that's what happens when you proof-read your own work, since originally I never really did this for any other reason than my personal enjoyment.

Several board members have written and kindly provided really great additional insight to me about the teams they are especially knowlegeable about. I am compiling it all and will someday include it.

Regarding some of the patch/logos that I obviously discovered on your site, first of all- thanks so much, with the same disclaimer-- I originally copied all this down for my own use, so I didn't keep records of where each item came from. Those logos I borrowed that were NOT used as patches (The Blue Jays 1994 and the Braves Georgia Patch, for example) really don't belong on the patches page at all then.

Anyway-- gotta get back to work. Love your board!

Bill

Bill - Here are some things I noticed:

Atlanta Braves - the "stylized" number font was used in both 1972 and 73 (you will notice it if you ever see film of Hank Aaron's 700th HR in '73). It is not mentioned on the page but the 72-73 Braves unis had a two-button "henley" collar similar to what the Mets wore at the end of the decade.

Chicago Cubs - on the 1978-81 reverse pinstripe roads, the 1978 version has the old Cub logo without the red circle on the sleeve. The new logo with the red circle was introduced in 1979.

Chicago White Sox - 1991-2003 home - there were no names on the back for the first couple of years of this set.

Oakland Athletics - what you have listed as "1983-84 Alternate White" (my vote for the most underrated jersey of all time) was actually introduced in 1981 and used through '84. It was the A's primary home jersey when Rickey Henderson broke Lou Brock's single season stolen base record in 1982. The 2000-04 Alternate Black was only worn in 2000 (although it was listed as an official uniform through 2003). I believe it was replaced by the Alternate Green in 2001 (I don't think the alternate green jersey and the black alternate were worn in the same season).

St. Louis Cardinals - on the 1992-2004 jerseys (both home and road), the size of the front number changes. From 92-96, 4 5/8 inch numbers are on the front. As you note, no front numbers were used in 1997 and 98. When they return in 1999, 4 inch numbers are used.

I'm sure other members of the board will correct me if I'm mistaken.

The 2000-04 Alternate Black was only worn in 2000 (although it was listed as an official uniform through 2003). I believe it was replaced by the Alternate Green in 2001 (I don't think the alternate green jersey and the black alternate were worn in the same season).

The Black alternate for the A's is still listed (2004). Don't know why, but it is.

SJ32-

Very helpful, thank you. You sound as hooked on the details as I do.

One of the funny things in doing research is what happens in your brain when you uncover something that conflicts with common belief. For example, regarding the A's white jersey-- I suspected that the white jersey was worn more than occasionally, just based on the shear volume of times it shows up in period press photos. However, what it is "called" by the team and how much it is actually worn during the year sometimes has no correlation.

Cases in point:

-You bring up a good point about the A's black jersey. I looked and looked, but can find no references or photos to the A's wearing this jersey in any other year than 2000 (all photos I can find of it being worn show it with the A's 2000 Centruy of baseball patch on the sleeve, so this is easy!) Yet the MLB official web site still lists it as an alternate through 2003. By the way, the green one is in there too!

-The Dodgers blue alternate was only worn in one week: "Think Blue" week in 1999 according to a Dodgers' staffer who contacted me, and who should know! Yet, it remains in the catalog as a current jersey to this day.

-Really- how often do the Red Sox wear the red shirt? And has anyone seen the Rockies wear their 2004 black vests with purple sleeves. PANTONE and I suspect that they haven't seen the light of day, yet.

- I also have a Toronto Blue Jays prototype in my collection from 1997 that I have never been able to figure out... till now. It is a royal blue vest with light blue lettering. Just recently I learned it was an alternate style announced for use... that was never worn. (my prototype has the #5 and the name "PLAYER" on the back, just like the jerseys in the MLB Official style guide!). I've got a Phillies 1992 prototyle road jersey with the word "Philadelphia" spelled out in script, and #5 "PLAYER" on the back. Wonder how close they came to wearing these?

Thanks for the info on the Cardinals front numbers (I always assumed from examples I saw that numbers were different sizes based on the whim of the local seamstress.. but I will look into this more) and also the White Sox, Cubs and Braves mentions. One of my fallbacks to determine dates of style change, names being added etc. is from baseball cards, but the problem here is the photos on the baseball cards are often times from the prior season, from spring training or from some other distant year. (Also, very few baseball cards show anyone's back, so you have to look at dozens of them to learn anything.) This is VERY obvious when looking at cards from the Padres, who changed unis every year almost in the mid-late 70's. Six cards might have five different uniforms on them!

Many thanks-- and Keep the comments coming.... I am recording ALL of them and will incorporate into my next revision.

BY THE WAY--- for those who have asked: Yes, I will include a set of obsolete Adobe Illustrator Typefaces on a file on my disc. I am not making an announcement that they are there, but enough of you have asked for them when ordering a copy that I have begun to include them on all discs. These are "my interpretations" of the old fonts for the Expos, Phillies, and a couple of others from the 1980's, and the Giants, Brewers and a couple of others from the 1990's. These are not the official team font files, but are my recreation of them, so I see no problem with copyrights, and we can all have fun.

Thanks, Bill Henderson

I remember when the Jays unveiled the sleeveless blue jersey... it was unveiled as the home alternate with the other new 97 uniforms (the road uniforms were originally to be worn with the blue and red cap, but never were).

never ever heard why they weren't worn.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Hi Philly97Flyer-

I would like to post it for you! One small problem.... it is in my closet in Philadelphia, and I am living in Tokyo right now. I can't predict when I'll next be in Philadelphia.

I can tell you a little more about it though.... it is a Russell Diamond collection with the "typical" tag in the tail, size 44. The "Philadelphia" is written in the exact same style of "Phillies" . It is done in chain stitching, just like the words on the home uniform. The dots over the two "i's" in Philadelphia are blue stars. However, to make the long word fit across the front of the shirt, it is in sort of a condensed cursive script. Personally-- I think it looks wimpy.

Something else interesting... the number "5" on the sleeve is red outlined with royal blue. They apparantly wanted to see what this color combination for the road numbers would look like. The name "PLAYER" is on a nameplate, and the number 5 on the back is in red/white twill, just like the eventual game jerseys.

I have worn it to some Phillies games, also wore it to the ALS Player Carnival one year, expecting someone would notice and say something. No one said anything to me about it.

I might include prototypes I have seen in my next version of the guide.... I often wonder if that's what the "oddball" royal blue Milwaykee Brewers jersey listed in that section of the book is- a prototype of some sort. I have a few other jerseys that I suspect are prototypes as well.

As I said before, awesome. Just awesome.

I was curious where you get the prototypes from? Are you an insider? or are they just awesome finds on ebay/garage sales/etc? Never really knew they existed and until you said you wore it, I thought you were talking about a file or a picture! great information!

I was curious where you get the prototypes from? Are you an insider? or are they just awesome finds on ebay/garage sales/etc? Never really knew they existed and until you said you wore it, I thought you were talking about a file or a picture! great information!

Now, I can't give away all my secrets! :rolleyes:

Truth is simple, I like to network.... you meet someone who knows someone... who heard that someone knows something... and so on. I have never been afraid to walk up to people I don't know and introduce myself. I also like to listen to other people's stories. You'd be surprised what you can find out if someone knows you might care.

I consider myself very, very lucky. I have the time and ability to pursue a hobby that I have always dreamed about. (OK, maybe most people would find it odd that I would dream about a hobby that involves owing other people's clothing. Someone even told me that once.)

Regarding this board-- didn't even know it was here till PANTONE told me to look here. I thought I was the only guy in the world who wondered whether or not the Phillies still have the little Liberty Bell embroidered on their stirrup socks (they do), since you can't see it the way players wear their pants now. I thought I was the only one who wondered why some teams use nameplates, and why some use them on their road jerseys but not on their home jerseys, or where the uniforms were actually sewn and by whom (I have been in some of these places. They are often local mom and pop sweatshops who have been sewing the team's jerseys for 40 years. They are often crusty people with funny stories to tell... only they don't mean to be funny, they just are. Ask me about the Phillies' local vendor.....

Anyway, because I work in Tokyo right now, I am awake and on the Internet when most of the rest of you are asleep in bed.

If I had any idea how to post a picture here, I'd show you a picture of (one of) my closets where some of this stuff is stored. Let me just say my wife is a saint.

Bill

-Really- how often do the Red Sox wear the red shirt? And has anyone seen the Rockies wear their 2004 black vests with purple sleeves. PANTONE and I suspect that they haven't seen the light of day, yet.

- I also have a Toronto Blue Jays prototype in my collection from 1997 that I have never been able to figure out... till now. It is a royal blue vest with light blue lettering. Just recently I learned it was an alternate style announced for use... that was never worn. (my prototype has the #5 and the name "PLAYER" on the back, just like the jerseys in the MLB Official style guide!). I've got a Phillies 1992 prototyle road jersey with the word "Philadelphia" spelled out in script, and #5 "PLAYER" on the back. Wonder how close they came to wearing these?

The Red Sox (this year, at least) are mostly wearing the red home alternates on the second game of double headers, and, most notably, the night they pounded the Yankee$ on Sunday Night Baseball.

I called my guy at the Rockies a couple of weeks ago, looking for one of the black and purple alternates...well, kids, file THAT one under "vaporwear"! The haven't worn, or even issued it.

I have a Russell Athletic Orioles prototype for a two-button pullover jersey from around 1999, that would have been interesting, had they adopted it. Think the 1994 jersey with the 1999 lettering, and you have the idea. "Player 55" on the back, and no front number.

• 2 weeks later...
A few months ago, I was approached by a guy who has put together a visual "style guide" of sorts of MLB uniforms from 1972 through the present. This guy (Bill Henderson) is an avid collector of authentic MLB jerseys, and has an enormous collection.

This PDF file contains photographs and images of pretty much every jersey used by every major league team since 1972.

Note: Once my site gets back up, I'll have a link to it in a prominent place, so you can always come back to it.

Hi!

I only just found out about this MLB double-knit era uniform style guide this past Saturday (August 21), while the SSUR site was still down. Today (Tuesday, August 24), I tried the link in the opening message in this thread but wasn't able to access the file.

When will the MLB double-knit era style guide be available again?

Thank you.

BTW, I really like the SSUR site's new color scheme!

David

Archived