Canadian Football League --> Canadian Rugby League

kiwi_canadian

So haven't posted any concepts in a while so I thought I would get back into one before school starts back up for us teachers.

Interesting fact: The CFL's Grey Cup was originally for the sport of rugby.

This got me thinking about the what if's. So what if the CFL never came to fruition and the Grey Cup stayed in its original sport? So what I've done is taken the existing CFL teams and put them into the sport of rugby and renamed the league the Canadian Rugby League (for you rugby enthusiasts this is rugby UNION and not rugby LEAGUE, so there is no confusion on the format) Foe the league logo, I changed the existing league logo to the CRL (and french LCR). League stays with Adidas and uses their most recent template. (using a modified Flakeband KooGa rugby template converted to Adidas) All teams wear the league logo on their right sleeve and a league wide sponsor on the left. I used CN Rail for that one. Each team has a front jersey sponsor as well as a sponsor on the back above the number. No player names as rugby in the 15's game there usually are no names as the numbers associate with the player position on the field of play.

So without delay here are the league logos:

CRL logo.png

CRL french logo.png

Now I'll start with posting the West Division. First up, the BC Lions. I took their current helmet logo and transferred it to the jersey. Their alternate is based off of their signature jersey that they wore a couple of years ago.

BC Lions.png

I'll post the rest of the west tomorrow morning. As always, C & C are always appreciated. (Just a side note that I don't usually make suggested changes because the presented kits are shrunken down to fit on the presentation template and are difficult to make changes to)

I love these ideas in a vacuum, but some of them just don't really work.

BC: I like it a lot i suppose, but the piping is just a bit much for me. I hated it on the NHL uniforms, i hate on the falcons, and I hate it here. Also make the sublimated lion just a tad darker on both the home and away sets. 

7/10

Calgary: nothing too special, but solid.

6/10

Edmonton: looks like it would be an instant classic IRL. I'm a sucker for chevrons. But that alternate drags down the set (piping, outlined EE logo)

H: 8/10 A: 8/10 Alt: 4/10

Saskatchewan: I see sublimation is your thing. Gets kinda stale the third time you do it, but I like this most out of the sublimated sets, sans Alt.

H/A: both 8/10 Alt: make the neon wheat dark grey, kill the piping with fire, and its solid. But otherwise, 5/10

Winnipeg: whatever I said about Edmonton's home and away goes here. I'm against camo usually, but this is my one of few exceptions, as long as you end up going full camo on the uniform (perhaps a sublimated camo :)) 

7/10

overall, nice sets, but my main three gripes are:

-Give each team their own number, this is the CFL (or I guess CRL), not the EPL (that's why Edmonton and Winnipeg's home and away aren't 9/10 or 10/10, depending on what fonts you end up going with)

-Get rid of sublimation on Calgary or BC (preferably Calgary). 3 teams with the same design elements looks tacky

-:censored: piping. 

2 hours ago, Htown1141 said:

I love these ideas in a vacuum, but some of them just don't really work.

BC: I like it a lot i suppose, but the piping is just a bit much for me. I hated it on the NHL uniforms, i hate on the falcons, and I hate it here. Also make the sublimated lion just a tad darker on both the home and away sets. 

7/10

Calgary: nothing too special, but solid.

6/10

Edmonton: looks like it would be an instant classic IRL. I'm a sucker for chevrons. But that alternate drags down the set (piping, outlined EE logo)

H: 8/10 A: 8/10 Alt: 4/10

Saskatchewan: I see sublimation is your thing. Gets kinda stale the third time you do it, but I like this most out of the sublimated sets, sans Alt.

H/A: both 8/10 Alt: make the neon wheat dark grey, kill the piping with fire, and its solid. But otherwise, 5/10

Winnipeg: whatever I said about Edmonton's home and away goes here. I'm against camo usually, but this is my one of few exceptions, as long as you end up going full camo on the uniform (perhaps a sublimated camo :)) 

7/10

overall, nice sets, but my main three gripes are:

-Give each team their own number, this is the CFL (or I guess CRL), not the EPL (that's why Edmonton and Winnipeg's home and away aren't 9/10 or 10/10, depending on what fonts you end up going with)

-Get rid of sublimation on Calgary or BC (preferably Calgary). 3 teams with the same design elements looks tacky

-:censored: piping. 

Yeah I understand the entire argument with the piping and people's dislike of it but for me, I sort of don't mind it in certain situations as an alternate like Ive done with these. The piping that I have used I also wouldn't consider it piping in the sense of what the Reebok hockey jerseys had. These are more an alternate colour of thread used in the stitching along the seams of the pieces of fabric within the template.

As for the numbers, I also get what you are saying, but I was going for more of a Super Rugby style where all of the New Zealand based teams used the same font.

And yes I know sublimation seems to be my thing and it has been when I do do the soccer kits and rugby ones. I would say that yes Calgary does have it but as for BC, was sort of sublimation but then again not really. For BC's I wanted the lion to stick out a bit more than the usual sublimation.

Anyways, The east won't have as very prominent sublimation and some without any... Plus a bonus team that evens out the division (and most can probably guess which team). I'll post those later tonight.

Okay last team and it is the Atlantic Schooners, the failed Atlantic coast based CFL team from the 80's. Jerseys have the 4 maritime provinces flags on the back to represent the region they represent as well as the maritime map of the provinces on the alternate.

Atlantic Schooners.png

First, I joined just to say that I love that you did this. One of my favourite daydreams is that all the CFL teams started a rugby branch.

I like Hamilton, and that the tiger stripers are toned down compare to Leicester's. Thirds are supposed to be crazy so no complaints there.

EDM, Sask, WPG and TO all look great for the H/A sets. The only thing I'd question is how the sleeve stripes line up with the chevrons.

I really like the wings on the shoulders of MTL's third, and the angled stripes on the socks.

The Adidas shoulder stripes work well on Sask and Hamilton, but I do get tired of them elsewhere (see below).

BC, Calgary, Ottawa I'd lose the sublimating. Although a light grey plaid on OTT might look cool. I like Sask's wheat field.

The Schooners are an overall miss for me. I find the waves/map a little clunky.

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 7:19 PM, kiwi_canadian said:

As for the numbers, I also get what you are saying, but I was going for more of a Super Rugby style where all of the New Zealand based teams used the same font.

This is my main overall gripe... I get where it's coming from, and it even makes a ton of sense, since the CFL IS with Adidas, using a template, and that IS how Adidas does the super teams. But... that's also why I find the NZ teams to be the most boringly dressed, even when each one on it's own would look great. And that comes out a bit more here, since there are more teams, and it's the whole league. Again, I totally understand why you went that way.

Archived