City Logos VI: Phoenix

phillyfan36

Which is the best Phoenix logo?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

true but i'm making a point, Canada is famous for the leaf on the flag so of course they are going to capitalize on it, but they are not going overboard they are showing love for their country

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It doesn't piss me off but I think they go a little overboard just like how Canada has to use the Canadian Leaf in every sports logo.

Except for the Leafs, Ottawa alternate, and the Renegades logo, currently NO CFL, NHL, or MLB teams currently use a Maple Leaf. I don't know if the Raptors have a Maple Leaf alternate or not.

The Son of Salt Lake needs a brain check...

I used to really like the Suns logo until they started importing that "PHX' crap!  We all know the three letter code for Phoenix should be "PHO".

okay now say it w/me PHoeniX, now if you think about it P.H.X you can tell it is Phoenix Arizona, but when you start saying PHO you are going to be thinking about Phone, Phony or some other stupid saying so PHX is perfect for the city always will be, and always will look good on a jersey, P.S. The Coyotes do it also. Just look on the shoulder patch

PHX is the airport code for Phoenix. However, PHX is commonly used by the residents there.

dodgers-1.png

I live in PHX (yes, PHX) and my loyalties are to the Diamondbacks and the Suns. The Cardinals are (i) an import; and (ii) a horrific train wreck of an organization. The Coyotes are the Cardinals Lite.

That said, what the Cardinals and Coyotes lack in quality they make up for in uniforms and logos. They're not my favorite identity packages, but you wouldn't look like a tool wearing the gear -- provided you could divorce disgust w/ the product on the field/ice from feelings about their uniforms.

The Diamondbacks and Suns have first-class organizations that care about winning w/ class. Only the Yankees have a better winning percentage than the Diamondbacks since they came in the league in 1998, a fact obscured during this paying-the-piper season. And the Suns have survived their turn of the millenium wilderness years to assemble a core of young talent poised to re-establish the club as a perennial (if defensively deficient) playoff team.

THE PROBLEM IS THEIR STUPID PURPLE, ORANGE (SUNS) AND TEAL (DIAMONDBACKS) COLOR SCHEMES! Those colors are unwearable, people. I understand tradition and all that. The Suns have been purple and orange for time immemorial (if you were born after 1968). The Diamondbacks were born of Jerry Colangelo's political muscle and adopted his hoops club's purple as it's main color, augmented by oh-so-fashionable (in the early '90s) teal. Too bad nobody looks good in those colors!

Uncle Jerry has begun his exit from both the Suns and Diamondbacks front offices. His steadying hand will be missed in innumerable ways. But if there's some good that can come from the departure of the patriarch of Arizona sports, it would be a renovation of the identities of these two clubs.

I'd be alright w/ the Suns keeping their colors, provided they lose those WNBA-inspired uniforms. (Blech.) But the Diamondbacks should go back to the drawing board entirely. Ditch the purple. If you must keep the teal, go w/ a black-and-copper scheme w/ teal accents, a la the impeccably dressed Arizona Rattlers.

It can be done. It's not too late. It's time, Arizona, to think outside the purple box.

Sincerely,

amare32

you are right it is a very common phrase here in Phoenix, PHX is always going to be used by Phoenix, and we will never change it to PHO no matter what SLC thinks, sports teams started using PHX, because it is very common to see PHX in Phoenix anywhere you go. PHX is also the airport code for Sky Harbor Airport.

Amare purple has been the color of the Phoenix Suns since their inception into the NBA in 1968, so don't try to say that purple is not their color because it is...and as far as the D-backs I hate to tell you they look good in teal and purple, it isn't the color that makes them look bad it's how they can incorporate it into the jersey. You might be in the minority, because everyone that I talk to in Phoenix loves the colors that they have had for many years. Yes Jerry is going to be missed but without him Purple and Teal wouldn't be here so thank him for the Major League Baseball team that we have, so with his political muscle he is the reason why we have Purple and teal and about a million people who wear the teal and purple, and a 2001 World Series Championship. See what you are missing is people have been thinking inside the purple box for many years and unless someone says so, people here in the Valley Metro area will be wearing purple and teal, and purple, orange, and gray for many years to come. As far as the Coyotes and Cardinals, so what if they are imports they have made their home here for the last 17 and 7 years respectively. They have made it their home and they have and are building an arena and a stadium in my backyard Glendale, Arizona. Without them we would just be a city with 2 sports teams and we wouldn't be a respected premeire metropolitan city, yes they may have nice logo's but that is the best part about having 4 sports and an arena football team with an university(ASU), and about everything else you can ask for.

Check your history a little more and you'll see the damn leaf at some point. The Maple Leafs already have the freaking leaf but different version. You get a brain check.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Anyway, my opinion is that the "PHX" alternates are just ugly. Don't piss your pants just yet because remember this........it's just my opinion! :lol:

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Amare purple has been the color of the Phoenix Suns since their inception into the NBA in 1968, so don't try to say that purple is not their color because it is...

Never said that. In fact I said...

I understand tradition and all that. The Suns have been purple and orange for time immemorial (if you were born after 1968).

...and...

I'd be alright w/ the Suns keeping their colors, provided they lose those WNBA-inspired uniforms.

Moving along.

...and as far as the D-backs I hate to tell you they look good in teal and purple, it isn't the color that makes them look bad it's how they can incorporate it into the jersey.

I think it's both.

You might be in the minority, because everyone that I talk to in Phoenix loves the colors that they have had for many years. Yes Jerry is going to be missed but without him Purple and Teal wouldn't be here so thank him for the Major League Baseball team that we have, so with his political muscle he is the reason why we have Purple and teal and about a million people who wear the teal and purple.

All props to Jerry. He's a huge figure in the development of this city. I don't subscribe to all elements of his vision for downtown revitalization, but I recognize that the downtown sports facilities for which he is responsible have been key to the influx of people, money and life back into central Phoenix. I respect his contribution.

My point is people don't look good in purple, orange and teal. They're not flattering colors. My opinion on that matter won't change no matter how popular they are w/ the rest of the Valley.

See what you are missing is people have been thinking inside the purple box for many years and unless someone says so, people here in the Valley Metro area will be wearing purple and teal, and purple, orange, and gray for many years to come.

I'm saying so. In fact, I'm thinking of adapting my post for use as a letter to the Editor of the Arizona Republic.

As far as the Coyotes and Cardinals, so what if they are imports they have made their home here for the last 17 and 7 years respectively.

Over their 16 seasons in the Valley, the Cardinals have compiled a record of 89 wins and 167 losses for a "winning" percentage of .348. That's putrid and indicative of the gross ineptitude of the ownership and management of the club.

I'll admit the Coyotes, w/ a record of 279 wins, 259 losses, 94 ties and 19 overtime losses -- for an average of 84.5 points and 5 playoff appearances since moving to PHX in 1996 -- while decidedly mediocre are not nearly so bad as the Cardinals. They're just Cardinals Lite.

Without them we would just be a city with 2 sports teams and we wouldn't be a respected premeire metropolitan city, yes they may have nice logo's but that is the best part about having 4 sports and an arena football team with an university(ASU), and about everything else you can ask for.

I love Phoenix. I'm a huge sports fan. I'm psyched that we've got a ballpark and an arena downtown, along w/ theatres and musuems and restaurants and a light rail system. I live in the heart of the city, within walking distance of Bank One Ballpark, and I'm proud of it. But I don't believe you judge a city by the number of sports teams it has. And any contribution the Cardinals and Coyotes make to our status as a "premier metropolitan city" is tangential -- they're just not that good.

Check your history a little more and you'll see the damn leaf at some point. The Maple Leafs already have the freaking leaf but different version. You get a brain check.

Read my post again....I told you, only about 3 teams currently use it among the 16 CFL/MLB/NHL, and that's COUNTING alternates.

That doesn't sound like EVERY to me.

well everyone has opinions and I think the PHX looks good it keeps in track of the Phoenix community but everyone is entitled to their own opinion

For the record, I'm w/ you on PHX and the PHX-logo. I think the Suns alternate logo -- w/ the bird of flames rising above the block-lettered PHX -- is awesome.

Read my post again....I told you, only about 3 teams currently use it among the 16 CFL/MLB/NHL, and that's COUNTING alternates.

That doesn't sound like EVERY to me.

Yes, only 3 currently and I told you to check your history and you'll find it at some point. I didn't say current in my last post that you quoted.

Retired Number's To Come

i think this is one of the dumbest arguments ive ever read on these boards..... :blink:

I'm starting to agree with you! :lol:

Retired Number's To Come

Look up the word every. You'll see why it sounded stupid.

No need, it's becoming a waste of my time. I'm done with this topic.

Retired Number's To Come

Archived