2019 Rugby World Cup

kiwi_canadian

Since I haven't seen one on here, thought I would start one for the rugby followers. The World Cup started today with Japan taking on Russia. Saw the first few minutes of the game and was kind of surprised by how well Russia was playing. Anyways, curious to see input on picks to win it all this year. The All Blacks are heavy favorites to do the three-peat but haven't been playing all that well leading up to it. a big lose to Australia and a tire with South Africa in the Rugby Championship saw them lose that competition to South Africa. The Spring Boks could also be a favorite to win their 3rd Webb Ellis Trophy as they have been playing well. As for the northern hemisphere teams, Ireland who holds the number 1 ranking going into the competition has a decent chance of winning their first World Cup.

The other side story is the up and coming 2 tier nations. Japan is starting to play really good rugby as well as the USA. Could be their coming out party and actually put some real pressure on those tier one countries. 

As for Canada, they are projected to beat Namibia but that's about it. They have been playing terrible for the last 4-5 years and there has been a lot of internal turmoil within Rugby Canada. I am really hoping they can pull off the upset victory over Italy and get that win over Namibia so they secure an automatic birth in the next World Cup.

What are the other predictions for this World Cup?

Well some mixed bag for results for the Americas teams.

Argentina lost a close one to France 23-21

Uruguay pulled off an upset by beating Fiji 30-27

Games from today if you haven't already watched

Spoiler

Canada was an embarrassment on the field and lost 48-7 to Italy. This was a game that should have been competitive. Canada and Italy have traditionally played a very close game with the Italians usually coming out on top. This year I was hoping it would be different but stupid penalties (including a telling off by Nigel Owens to Canadian captain Tyler Ardron), simple ball handling mistakes and dumb play making decisions cost Canada. Unless there is some dramatic miracle like the entire teams of South Africa and New Zealand all come down with some really bad food poisoning, Canada will lose their next 2 games badly. Canada's only hope for a win will be against Namibia for their last game but even then, I don't have high hopes for that. As a Canadian rugby fan, I'm pretty disappointed with the result. Rugby Canada increased player fees for clubs so they could have money to make it to the World Cup and now they are embarrassing themselves...Rant is over now.

USA lost to England 45-7. Haven't seen the game yet.

Ireland looks to be on form as well with their dispatching of Scotland 27-3. The fans in Scotland are non too pleased with that one.

On 10/1/2019 at 10:05 AM, kiwi_canadian said:

I agree. They have been coming on as of late on the world scene. It's probably pissing off the old boys club at World Rugby that Japan could, in the very near future, be considered a tier 1 nation.

Honestly? I think they've bridged that gap already.

While theyre being dropped from Super Rugby, they had a team in play and they have had impressive showings.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Officials have cancelled a couple of games due to Typhoon Hagibis. Italy vs. New Zealand game was cancelled and the Italians are not happy about it. Italy wanted to move the game to a later date but the Kiwis we concerned that they wouldn't have enough of a break between that game and their quarter final game. The England vs. France game was also cancelled. That one didn't have any bearing on the standings. Some people are upset that officials didn't have a contingency plan in place. 

23 minutes ago, kiwi_canadian said:

Officials have cancelled a couple of games due to Typhoon Hagibis. Italy vs. New Zealand game was cancelled and the Italians are not happy about it. Italy wanted to move the game to a later date but the Kiwis we concerned that they wouldn't have enough of a break between that game and their quarter final game. The England vs. France game was also cancelled. That one didn't have any bearing on the standings. Some people are upset that officials didn't have a contingency plan in place. 

The fact that Italy was denied a chance to play an elimination game because New Zealand wanted more rest between games is just stupid. Italy needed the win to progress. If it had no bearing, I can understand then. just move the damn game and play it, even if it's a closed door match.OR extend the schedule and put New Zealand's game a day or two later. At least Italy had already secured a 2023 World Cup berth or it'd be even more of a scandal.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Quarter Finals are set:

Ireland vs. New Zealand

Australia vs. England

South Africa vs. Japan

Wales vs. France

I'm taking England, Wales, South Africa and New Zealand. I think South Africa will be too strong for South Africa and they will not underestimate them this world cup. Ireland and New Zealand is a toss up for me. Ireland hasn't been that great as of late and the All Blacks will kick it into a higher gear for the quarter finals.

Any other thoughts on the quarter finals?

2 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

Quarter Finals are set:

Ireland vs. New Zealand

Australia vs. England

South Africa vs. Japan

Wales vs. France

I'm taking England, Wales, South Africa and New Zealand. I think South Africa will be too strong for South Africa and they will not underestimate them this world cup. Ireland and New Zealand is a toss up for me. Ireland hasn't been that great as of late and the All Blacks will kick it into a higher gear for the quarter finals.

Any other thoughts on the quarter finals?

What I want:

Ireland

Australia

Japan

France

Anything needed to stop the All Blacks from winning AGAIN im good with.

Aussies? I want the english to lose to anyone, save NZ.

Japan: While I'm soft towards South Africa, it would be great to break up the old boys club.

France? Always cheer for France internationally.

5qWs8RS.png

So a decent weekend of quarter final action. We saw the All Blacks dominate Ireland to move on, England winning against Australia to set up a New Zealand vs England semi final. We saw a spirited Japan bow out to South Africa and Wales come from behind to beat France to set up a South Africa vs. Wales semi final.

I'm going to take New Zealand over England but in a close game and I'll take South Africa over Wales. I think the Boks are the only real threat to the All Blacks right now.

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Is there a reason the numbers on the jerseys are smaller, compared to other sports? They're still easy to read so just an observation.

It's likely a combination of ads(on regular club jerseys/non world cup) and the fact theyre squad number based off position.

5qWs8RS.png

Finals are all set. England will be taking on South Africa, a rematch of the 2007 final. The Wales-South Africa game was incredibly tight. No one was willing to give an inch on the field. The Welsh scored a try off of a 22 phase play right on the South Africa goal line. Was a good game.

I'm taking South Africa over England in the final and New Zealand over Wales in the bronze medal game.

What a game. South Africa win their 3rd World Cup title with a 32-12 win over England. South Africa came out strong right from the start and were dominant in the scrums. They also scored their first ever tries in a World Cup final. Their previous 2 wins had points scored on penalties and drop goals. Was a great game.

Archived