UNC Asheville Rebrand

raysox

In January I was in a rut. I had been at my current job for over 2 years, still officially a Junior Graphic Designer, and had 160 hours of PTO time saved up because the world of Tennis hardly has an offseason. I ended up losing my mind, booking a flight to Asheville, and took a week off work. I drank tons of beer, saw snow for the first time in years, and also UNC-Asheville had a home basketball game vs South Carolina Upstate. UNC Asheville has a bad logo! It's probably what comes up when you google Bulldog Clipart!

So I took a few weeks refining this logo idea. My first draft never looked right, and that's because it looks more like a French Bulldog than a traditional English Bulldog.

But! I'm at a place where i'm happy with my concept!
ESeDUfDWkAAw37O?format=png&name=large

The bulldog face would be the primary. Then I created a font where UNC and Asheville would be distinct. I created the A logo even though it doesn't fit with the main branding. The idea behind it is that it would make a cool baseball logo, which i tied in with a crest logo for the seal of the college.

I'm going to turn this into a Behance project so look forward to some uniforms and photoshops

Oh also, Asheville is cool as hell and I got a raise and a promotion!

4 hours ago, raysox said:

In January I was in a rut. I had been at my current job for over 2 years, still officially a Junior Graphic Designer, and had 160 hours of PTO time saved up because the world of Tennis hardly has an offseason. I ended up losing my mind, booking a flight to Asheville, and took a week off work. I drank tons of beer, saw snow for the first time in years, and also UNC-Asheville had a home basketball game vs South Carolina Upstate. UNC Asheville has a bad logo! It's probably what comes up when you google Bulldog Clipart!

So I took a few weeks refining this logo idea. My first draft never looked right, and that's because it looks more like a French Bulldog than a traditional English Bulldog.

But! I'm at a place where i'm happy with my concept!
ESeDUfDWkAAw37O?format=png&name=large

The bulldog face would be the primary. Then I created a font where UNC and Asheville would be distinct. I created the A logo even though it doesn't fit with the main branding. The idea behind it is that it would make a cool baseball logo, which i tied in with a crest logo for the seal of the college.

I'm going to turn this into a Behance project so look forward to some uniforms and photoshops

Oh also, Asheville is cool as hell and I got a raise and a promotion!

It's pretty interesting. Like the A-mountain logo.

PS - Glad u were able to take a break from work. Felt the same frustration with my own job/lack of job progression. Mental health is no joke and self-care is totally needed.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Like you said, the A doesn't really fit the team branding.  It also doesn't match the roundness of the Appalachian Mountains; maybe some more rounded mountains and a less angular A would help it align with the rest of your look. 

You are also right.  Asheville is cool as hell.

15 minutes ago, scottyeagle said:

Like you said, the A doesn't really fit the team branding.  It also doesn't match the roundness of the Appalachian Mountains; maybe some more rounded mountains and a less angular A would help it align with the rest of your look. 

You are also right.  Asheville is cool as hell.

Yeah that’s fair, it just doesn’t quite translate to much since they’re rolling and long. It’s really more of a “hit you over the head with how simple it is and a child can draw it” depiction of an A mountain that i tried to not copy the Avalanche Stadium Series logo.

although! I did try to sneak a reference to the Blue Ridge Mountains in the bulldog’s forehead wrinkles!

Archived