Floydnimrod Tackles the Entire NFL (and gets ejected for targeting): A Concept Series (19/32, LA & LA Added)

floydnimrod

I haven't made uniform concepts outside of video games or the fantasy leagues here in a long time, but I was going through some old files on an old computer and found some NFL stuff I started working on in 2014, so I thought, what better time to finish it than now? I've actually been working on these since November, but really kicked it into gear in mid-March, with all that time I saved from my commute to work (it's really only 30 minutes a day).

A few things up front:

The plan is to get to the entire NFL. I think some NFL uniforms are great already, so I'll only make minimal tweaks to them.

I use Microsoft Paint, so I feel I need to set an expectation here.

To save space, when I post a concept, I won't post all possibilities of mixing and matching of jerseys and pants, but I'll make sure each individual part gets posted.

I'm not focusing on creating throwback uniforms of color rush uniforms, just a Home/Away/Sometimes an Alternate.

I have no idea whose template it is that I'm using, but shout out to them for making it. I made some small tweaks and made a paint version of it.

I'm a fan of block number fonts, but I don't think every team needs them. In fact, I made it a goal up front to half no more than half of the league use standard block number fonts.

I know people are big fans of uniforms that existed when they were a kid. So am I. For this reason, you'll likely see the Eagles wearing whatever they call that teal color they were now and not Kelly Green. And the Rams will be wearing Navy and Gold (actual gold not yellow), but more on them later. I am older than that statement makes me seem.

During this design process I realized that I love two things: helmets with no stripes, and silver/gray pants. If a team had gray pants at any point in their history, they're likely coming back. I also don't like wordmarks on the front of football jerseys and I don't know why.

Perhaps the biggest theme of this entire series is stripe consistency. I know this means different things to different people. But to me it means the striping on the pants, uniform, and helmet share common elements in their setup. This will mostly involve tweaks to helmets and pants. Look, I love the pants stripes that the Brown, Texans, Bears, Packers, 49ers, and eleven other teams wear. It's a good look. But it often has nothing to do with what's going on the jersey, and that bugs me. So as long as we're open to some pants and helmets that deviate from that, we're almost guaranteed to have a good time.

So with that we begin the 17th NFL Redesign series that started here since the NFL Draft.

First up, the Chicago Bears.

All I did with the logo was remove the inner outline. I think it looks better this way, and is consistent with the one on the helmet.

qXe2pK8.png

wO1dICA.png

Q5aEJR7.png

So there you have it. I've always been bothered that the Bears' home and away uniforms use two different striping patterns. I've always been more of a fan of the one they use on their away uniforms. The striping pattern also makes its way down to the pants. I removed the GSH lettering as well, I hope I'm not cursed now or something.

Moving forward, does anyone know of a website to upload images, where it doesn't make them blurry? These were made in paint and they came out online with a certain Bigfoot quality.

I realized I picked one of the most boring teams to put first, but I didn't want to scare anyone away!

So here's the Titans.

The original Tennessee Titans uniforms are one of my favorites, and i don't think they needed to change, but rather than just recreate it, I made some updates. Over the course of their originals we saw red used to various degrees in graphics and accessories, but it was never on the uniform, so I added it back into the scheme with a nod to the shoulder yoke/stripe from their original uniforms. I though about filling them in but opted against, as I really liked the look of a stripes-only-no-fill shoulder area. At the end of their Adidas era, the Cincinnati Bearcats football team a similar look and I enjoyed it. It's also inspired by the current Columbus Blue Jackets jerseys. In the name of consistency, those stripes made their way to the pants and helmet. I opted not to bring the Light Blue/Red combo to the forefront, because I really like Navy and Light Blue despite every NBA team using it in 2007.

I brought back the white helmet the team had for 20 years. I also wanted to use a font similar to the Oilers years, but not exactly.

p1IZSPH.png

JgsMlFS.png

Q5mNL7R.png

To make sure I didn't save all the hard teams for last, I knocked out my hometown Bengals first, back in November, and looking at all the NFL redesigns, we all had the same idea!

I moved the tiger stripes (difficult to make in paint!) to the sleeves, and returned the team to a block number font, but the one they had in the late 80s, with the curved sevens.

This is one of a few instances where the same exact stripe patterns don't appear helmet/jersey/pants. My sub-rule here is that unique helmet stripes are fine in the cases of the Bengals and Rams. If using the stripe from the jerseys and pants is too weird, and single stripes or no stripes is ok.

D5oF0pU.png

l0NT5KU.png

16cLd80.png

Sure, why not, here's Atlanta.

The late 90s Super Bowl era Falcons look is my favorite and it's imitated here. I didn't have a problem with the number font from this last Falcons era, so I kept it. I love the gray pants Atlanta had at that time so I brought them back, and that's all they have. The sleeve design is take from the wings(?) of the falcon logo. I made the alternate uniform's numbers gray as a nod to the late 70s/80s Falcons uniforms. Those teams were not very good!

ch2J57U.png

psNnli0.png

1Ony53c.png

While I work on an Atlanta update, here's the Cowboys.

I've always hated the wild inconsistencies between the Cowboys home and away uniforms. I've used the colors on the current away, but design from the current home uniforms. I used the stripe pattern from the sleeves on the pants, but left the helmet blank, and I think an all silver helmet with just a logo looks nice. If I were to add a stripe to the helmet, it'd be the same as the pants. The collar stripe is equivalent to one of the sleeve stripes.

Ee4jzQ3.png

FOm45ph.png

I present: the Buffalo Bills.

The easy thing for me to do here is some minor adjustments to the current striping scheme, but I wanted to do something different.

As a big fan of the Bills red helmets, I brought them back. The striping on the sleeves is meant to mimic the logo. I tried using this same stripe on the pants but it didn't work. The stripes on the pants/helmet take the striping widths of the narrower part of the sleeve stripe.

F1Nzh4P.png

QKFncnI.png

BvysFB3.png

Philadelphia will be up next. I tried something with them that I'm not sure works, but we'll see.

Good look for the Bills. The only minor change to them should be the front of the sleeve striping connecting to the seam of the sleeve. 

All the other looks are pretty good too. I do agree about the piping situation with the Titans. I also feel like the Cowboys need a helmet stripe. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

On 6/15/2020 at 11:26 PM, GriffinM6 said:

Good look for the Bills. The only minor change to them should be the front of the sleeve striping connecting to the seam of the sleeve. 

All the other looks are pretty good too. I do agree about the piping situation with the Titans. I also feel like the Cowboys need a helmet stripe. 

My concern for not stretching the sleeve stripe to the front is I felt like it would just end abruptly (I've never been a fan of design that look like they're design around the cut of a uniform). I wanted to make it resemble the Bills logo, the diagonal ending. Also working on the Cowboys helmet when I have a minute.

Here's Philadelphia. They've remained teal because I like them that way. To me it's a far more interesting color than kelly green. I wanted to know how the wings would look on the sleeves. I don't mind the look of them there, but I'm not the switch on the helmet works. But I didn't know if wings on the sleeves and helmet would be overkill. If it's too much, the idea is just to swap the wings and helmet logo, and that'd be that.

This is going to sound like I'm contradicting myself, but I wanted silver so show up somewhere other than the numbers, so I brought back the silver pants. But then I removed the silver part of the double number outlines. There wouldn't be any white or teal pants. There's only one stripe on the pants to match the cuff stripes. I kept that stripe teal on all pants, as it's the main color.

V9JZVIf.png

arb8Ir4.png

G7v1jMU.png

Finishing up Pennsylvania with the Steelers

Probably in the minority, but I like the current Steelers number font. I actually thinkn they have one of the best looks in the NFL, so I made minimal changes.

I widened the stripe on the helmet and included a sublimated bumblebee-esque stripe design on each uniform. The yellow pants would be worn most regularly with both sets, so the white pants are included as alternates (I did the same thing with Green Bay)

nXjLJAC.png

Ys2Es3Z.png

Washington is up today. I changed their logo a bit to get rid of the face, and just replace it with an a "R" (An admitted small step, I know).

I moved the cuff stripes to the sleeve, and repeated those same stripes on the pants and helmet. Color-wise, the helmet not symmetrical, but I think that's ok.

aGstvCc.png

WQ45LUC.png

Bonus Green Bay here too, as the changes are minimal.

I used the stripes from the sleeves now on the helmet and pants. As with Pittsburgh, the white pants would be worn as alternates. The yellow pants would remain the primary pants.

aN5QbwC.pngKQmDkPy.png

10 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Nike's already ruined one of the league's all-time great helmet designs, don't do it to another one.

Would it look better if I just swapped the Eagle head and wings? Or is wings in both locations too much? That's why I asked when I posted as I was unsure.

On 6/25/2020 at 9:05 AM, floydnimrod said:

Would it look better if I just swapped the Eagle head and wings? Or is wings in both locations too much? That's why I asked when I posted as I was unsure.

I prefer the logo on the sleeve and wing on helmet, but I see what you're saying

fiowXOD.png

In the first post I mentioned gray pants returning and this is the team I meant it most for. I love the Giants' gray pants, but kept white as an option, too. I'm a fan of both wordmarks the team uses, so I kept the "Giants" one and moved it to the sleeve. The red and blue shades are deeper to distinguish this from Buffalo. NFC East is complete! (outside of updates)

5d5X4CR.png

IWlB0WK.pnggo0nMtb.png

Here's both of Joe Montana's teams.

San Francisco was one of a handful of teams that I really struggled with. I knew I wanted to remove the black outlines/shadows from the logo (something I did again with KC below) and I knew I wanted to update the lack of gold on the uniforms. I went back to the stripes from the Jeff Garcia era set, with "drop shadows" on the three stripes. They were tough to see if there were just gold, so the addition of the shadow underneath each strip makes them more visible. The shadows are slightly smaller than the stripes themselves.

Where it gets weird is the pants. I'm ok with pants that are not symmetrical shape wise or color wise. But I thought three stripes that all have shadows that are smaller would look weird on the pants. What I did was take one of the stripes and enlarge them on the pants. But I wasn't sure how that same stripe would look on the helmet, so I left it stripeless. I think an all gold helmet can work?

When I was editing the logo, the outside oval was gold, but I thought that looked odd on a gold helmet, so it's red here instead.

WQCNknB.png

xbpyndO.png

I edited the Chiefs logo as well, not only replacing the black with yellow, but also the shadowing around the "KC" with just an outline. In addition to that I moved the cuff stripes to the sleeves. I also, matched up the pants stripes to the sleeve stripes.

zQtU08H.png

MJMkBja.png

Two more of the more boring AFC South teams will be up next.

Archived