Edmonton Elks - Quick and Dirty Tweak

sky1324

Overall I really like the Elks brand, it's a solid and timeless look that should be great on the field. But the elk logo could use some tweaks in my opinion. Specifically, the gold shield... thing could use some shaping. So, with help from my friends @TheHealthiestScratch and @ItDoesntMatter I've performed a little plastic surgery.

CoYNFBR.png

Both are my designs, based on an image traced version of the logo (I did this the day they revealed it, just too lazy to post). I personally prefer the one on the right, where I tweaked the gold object to be a football and also brought the green together so the elk has a slightly more defined shape. What do you guys think?

the user formerly known as cdclt

I love the Elks name for Edmonton... but I have the apparently unpopular opinion that the IRL logo is really poorly executed in many ways, so I'm glad to see you making tweaks.

That IRL gold blob was totally lacking intention, so I definitely appreciate the football. I'd only say that the curve top of the ball doesn't *quite* match up with the curve of the head.

I think the gap from the original, which you kept on the left, is meant to convey the elk's body continuing, but it was so awkwardly done that I prefer your version on the right without it.

Also, could we see the two-color versions? Much better than the three-color ones, IMO.

8 hours ago, vtgco said:

I love the Elks name for Edmonton... but I have the apparently unpopular opinion that the IRL logo is really poorly executed in many ways, so I'm glad to see you making tweaks.

That IRL gold blob was totally lacking intention, so I definitely appreciate the football. I'd only say that the curve top of the ball doesn't *quite* match up with the curve of the head.

I think the gap from the original, which you kept on the left, is meant to convey the elk's body continuing, but it was so awkwardly done that I prefer your version on the right without it.

Also, could we see the two-color versions? Much better than the three-color ones, IMO.

Thanks for the comments! I'll go back and tweak the football curve, like I said, it was very quick. Tomorrow after I fix that I'll do the two-color version as well. Funnily enough I prefer the three-color version myself.

Guest darkpiranha
22 minutes ago, QCS said:

Alright, here's a second version with a slightly tweaked football shape and in two colors!

ZCt07gO.png

Much better.  How did they miss the opportunity to make that shape a football?  It was right there!  Good job on noticing it.

It is a subtle difference (the shield/football shape) but once you see it, you can't unsee it.  The design team really dropped the proverbial ball on this as that's almost a given for a lot of team logos. Team mascot + (insert sport ball/bat/stick). 

Nice job on doing what the pro's should have done in the first place. Definite improvement.

22 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

Much better.  How did they miss the opportunity to make that shape a football?  It was right there!  Good job on noticing it.

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

It is a subtle difference (the shield/football shape) but once you see it, you can't unsee it.  The design team really dropped the proverbial ball on this as that's almost a given for a lot of team logos. Team mascot + (insert sport ball/bat/stick). 

Nice job on doing what the pro's should have done in the first place. Definite improvement.

Thanks for the compliments! I wish I could take credit for noticing that it could be a football, but that 100% goes to @ItDoesntMatter as we were discussing the logo. I was simply the one that put it together.

Archived