Just Another NBA Series--(13/32)-- Light The Beam!

Indigo

On 11/2/2022 at 4:13 PM, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Boston Celtics

One of the most iconic and legendary brands in all of sports is the Boston Celtics. That being said, still having a white man as their logo seems a bit dated, so everyhting black becomes dark green, while everything not green becomes gold.

Iug4O1D.png

Association/Icon: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (although "CELTICS" is back on the Icon instead of "BOSTON")

Statement: A green-on-green alt seems more appropriate for the C's than a black one, taking cues from Boston's 2021 Earned edition

City: The City jersey is a tribute to the late great Bill Russell, with the late 50's-60's wordmark on the front, gold striping, and eleven #6 shamrocks representin the 11 championships won during Russell's career.

--switching to @edjb93's template. lmk which one you guys like better.--

AhgMDYd.png

MXqAWTJ.png

btVzwsm.png

tLfmqZD.png

y82pENc.png

Kinda cringe regarding the logo not gonna lie lol

As for the uniforms, City uniform is cash. but could probably use a lighter gold. Also, the fans HATED that earned jersey, so I'd probably try something else.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 5:25 PM, Djruggs said:

Kinda cringe regarding the logo not gonna lie lol

As for the uniforms, City uniform is cash. but could probably use a lighter gold. Also, the fans HATED that earned jersey, so I'd probably try something else.

I'm glad you pointed that out about the logo, I didn't even notice that the first time I looked. There's nothing "dated" about it being a "white man." The team is based on the celts and guess what the celts were white.  I know someone is gonna say well there's black people in Ireland and boston, which is true but the name comes from the celtic people who immigrated from Ireland who were white and besides that the logo is a leprechaun which are traditionally depicted as white. C'mon @Djruggsbe better

ZUH86xc.png

• 5 months later...

Time to revive this thread with the

Sacramento Kings

Although some fans want the black to be featured more, I think the Kings have struck gold with their purple and grey balance. The grey and white space places on the logo, while two font from the earlier days in Kings history emerge.

WIJiBFD.png

Asoociation/Icon: The new home and roads take inpiration from the '94-'00 Chris Webber days, with the '85-'94 script font returning.

Statement: A new take on the '94-'97 alternate, the base now becomes half-black/half-grey.

City: Using the '67-'71 Cinncinati Royals jerseys as a base, the city alternate has "BEAM TEAM" in vertical letters as a shout out to the victory beam the Kings road to thier first playoff appearance in 18 years.

4E1Pjgt.png

Ux4UKMe.png

cPOQzPH.png

wk2fO29.png

R4geZdD.png4XMEY2Q.png

• Like 2

• Indigo changed the title to Just Another NBA Series--(13/32)-- Light The Beam!
On 5/12/2023 at 1:31 PM, Indigo said:

Time to revive this thread with the

Sacramento Kings

Although some fans want the black to be featured more, I think the Kings have struck gold with their purple and grey balance. The grey and white space places on the logo, while two font from the earlier days in Kings history emerge.

WIJiBFD.png

Asoociation/Icon: The new home and roads take inpiration from the '94-'00 Chris Webber days, with the '85-'94 script font returning.

Statement: A new take on the '94-'97 alternate, the base now becomes half-black/half-grey.

City: Using the '67-'71 Cinncinati Royals jerseys as a base, the city alternate has "BEAM TEAM" in vertical letters as a shout out to the victory beam the Kings road to thier first playoff appearance in 18 years.

4E1Pjgt.png

Ux4UKMe.png

cPOQzPH.png

wk2fO29.png

R4geZdD.png4XMEY2Q.png

This feels like a good start toward fixing the Kings' current identity! As I see it, their two biggest issues are poor wordmarks and overuse of gray, both of which are resolved here. It was hinted at during a recent playoff game they may reintroduce a script 'Kings' wordmark, which would obviously be a hit/upgrade if executed even just halfway decently. Redistributing gray also goes a long way, especially on the Association Edition. Purple clearly belongs at the top of their color hierarchy, and it's good to see that reflected here. I also love the "Beam Team" City Edition -- I experimented with a similar idea a while back, and I think it creates a nice connection between the current excitement and the team's history.

As for potential improvements, I think there are a few things I'd encourage you to explore:

1) Paneling - The asymmetrical paneling only on one shorts leg never made sense to me, as it looks like an afterthought. You fixed the shape/perspective of it, though, which made it even a more of an eyesore in the '90s. I think asymmetrical looks can look nice, like their current Statement Edition, so perhaps something a bit more cohesive could help.

2) Shorts Logo - It's a small nitpick, but the lion head logo looking backward feels disoriented. I wish it didn't lose the subtle 'S' curve when reflected, but I'd consider using the primary logo in that particular application. 

3) Statement Edition - I'm really curious how this would function on-court. The Heat's "Vice Wave" City Edition is the closest comparison, but it was a disaster with light blue transitioning to pink. These colors are visually much closer to one another, but even more different in terms of values. I wonder how it might look if purple and gray were swapped?

All in all, definitely a step forward -- looking forward to seeing more of this series, the boards need more NBA content!

• Like 1