Umass-amherst considers new athletic identity.

Brian in Boston

Personally it bugs me because they're basically abandoning their previous honor of naming their teams after the men who fought and died in an effort to secure the freedom and liberties that we enjoy today, nearly 230 years later.  Its an insult to their memories.

nav-logo.png

Just when you thought the madness was over...

check this out, it's hysterical.

http://www2.bostonherald.com/news/local_re...mss05132003.htm

"Gray wolves more vicious than Minuteman-haters thought

by Kevin Rothstein

Tuesday, May 13, 2003

UMass-Amherst officials, wringing their hands over the Minuteman logo because it portrays a white man holding a gun, may want to seek a refund from the pricey consultant who came up with a list of alternatives that includes the Gray Wolves.

While no other team in Division 1 college sports uses that moniker, the Gray Wolves are known elsewhere as a fascist Turkish youth group linked to the assassination attempt on Pope John Paul II.

Officials claim ``Gray'' was recently dropped from the list of potential mascots, but say they knew nothing of the extremist group.

``That's a new one to me,'' said Nick Joos, associate athletic director at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst campus.

UMass-Amherst paid $10,000 to Phoenix Design Works, a New York consulting firm, to design new logos. After focus groups gave thumbs-down to the color part of ``Gray Wolves'' and ``Red Wolves,'' UMass officials are considering ``Wolves'' and other mascots.

``Gray Wolves'' carries sinister memories for Turkish expert William Jones, who taught in Turkey in the late 1970s and early '80s.

``I was teaching class one night in downtown Ankara and a guy got blown away outside my classroom, shot him in the head, a leftist student,'' Jones said. Mehmet Ali Agca, the gunman who shot and wounded Pope John Paul in 1981, had been a Gray Wolves member.

Cosmo Macero contributed to this report."

Good stuff.

Archived