Umass-amherst considers new athletic identity.

Brian in Boston

The University of Massachusetts at Amherst (UMass or UMass-Amherst to most) is considering a complete overhaul of their athletic program's team identity.

At the very least, Phoenix Design has been hired to freshen up UMass' primary and secondary logos, create additional secondary marks including a youth-oriented mark, and make recommendations regarding a new accent color(s) to join the traditional maroon.

However, a recent wire service report indicated that UMass may also dump their Minutemen/Minutewomen monikers for an entirely new identity, mascot and logo package. The only alternate name that the report listed as being under consideration was Wolves.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this... although Wolves seems a bit bland.

Brian in Boston

as an alum I would drive up to amherst and punch someone.

The UMass name has undergone several changes.  From Massachusetts State Agricultural School Aggies to Redmen to their present name.

Coach Cal or his wife actually designed the UMass logo as we know it today.

I find it hard to believe the Minuteman name would be dumped, what are Paul Reveres relatives offended or something?

This political correctness is going to tear this country down.  Massachusetts is teh Minutemen. The Minutemen played an important role in our independance. What is worng with the name?

If we keep doing things like this we are sealing our doom. THis goes beyond sports it goes to a culture taht wants to eliminate the revolution because the patriots owned slaves. In a NJ school district. George Washing, Thomas Jefferson, and others like them taht signed the Declartion of Inpendace are not taiught about in schools because tehy owned slaves. This is how you end up with dumb peoplke on street smarts or Jay Leno who dont know how to find the USA on a map of  the globe.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'm surprised there's even enough money left to consider this after Mitt Romneys' cuts to state education. Or, maybe he's selling it to subsidize the Big Dig?

Maybe they can get President William Bulger's brother Whitey as the logo?

Don't change the Minutman/ woman moniker!

if umass changes the name, it will go down in the endless junkpile of ideas by idiots whose minds are in the gutter...otherwise known as the 'what the hell were they thinking?' pile

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

minutemen the only gender specific name in D1?  damn, their minds ARE in the gutter.  anyway, i urge those who are making these decisions to keep the minutemen/minutewomen moniker.

more gender-specific:

Centenary Gentlemen/Ladies

Syracuse Orangemen/Orangewomen

after that, i got nothin.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Geez, if they want to stay consistent to a theme and also maintain gender neutrality, couldn't they just switch to Patriots, or are they concerned about the folks in Foxboro getting rankled?

like tank said, this is how you end up with idiots who can't find their own city on a map and couldn't tell you the name of the fella on those $1 bills.  next syracuse is gonna change their name to orangeshirts cus orangepickers are offended :angry:

2016cubscreamsig.png

If Red Foxes wins, can they change the school fight song to the "Sanford & Son" theme?

P.S.  I don't think the folks at Marist would be happy with UMass going to that name.

I just dropped them an e-mail...

"While I have to confess I'm not in any way affiliated with the university, nor am I a fan of any of its teams, I feel an intense need to get this off my chest:  if the university changes from the 'Minuteman' identity, those responsible for the decision should consider attending a remedial brand marketing class, or better yet, simply get some common sense."

nav-logo.png

"Phoenix Design found that after an exhaustive search, the UMass Minutemen is currently the only truly gender specific nickname within Division I Athletics," he added.

how exhaustive of a search could that have really been??

I've never heard of a female Knight (okay, well maybe Gladys is an exception).  Nor am I aware that anyone considers the term Midshipmen to be gender specific.  Maybe someone from the Navy can correct me if I am wrong.

sj - good one on the "Sanford and Son" song.  I always wondered whether the bands of teams playing Marist ever broke out that song at games.

This got a rise out of me at first -- then I read the story. UMass has only been the Minutemen since 1972 (Redmen before that), so that says two things to me:

1. UMass has no real tradition as "Minutemen" so those of you 'irate' are off-base. They weren't Minutemen longer than they were. It's a generational thing for us younger folks -- we only know them as the Minutemen. They have plenty of living alumni that are not "Minutemen" -- imagine what they're thinking.

2. This PC thing has gone so far now that UMass might actually have to switch twice.

I'm not irate because of the traditional aspect of the name change.  I am irate because Minutemen was one of the best names in college sports.  It truly represents the area and respects the area's rich historical background.

Archived