Idaho High School Hockey - The Conclusion

colinturner95

1. Bishop Kelly Knights - Est. 1964 (Preceding school Est.1890)  - Boise, ID - Classification: 4A

We've arrived at my alma mater! I had the pleasure for 2 years to attend BK, and then couldn't wait to leave BK after 2 years (personal reasons, nothing to get into here). I'd have transferred but I went to BK to play hockey, and my transfer options were not going to get any better. However, time does heal some wounds, not all, but it has healed some. I've now had the opportunity to play hockey for BK and for 4 years, I got the chance to coach BK hockey, seeing my brother through his high school career, and got to help my coach from my playing days. 

Bishop Kelly is unique when it comes to club sports, particularly hockey. Where most schools who combine efforts to field a team end up with a creative team name, something we'll see here within a few teams, BK stands alone as a team. They'd rather not field a team and "loan" players to other teams than combine. Not sure if that's how I'd approach it, but that is something that sits way above my pay grade. 

I also had the chance in 2019 to help revitalize the BK hockey brand. After my class graduated in 2015, and 9 hockey players out of 20 graduated, things kinda fell off the rails. Lack of attention to detail crept in, things got really basic and lazy and it wasn't a good thing for the program (plus a coach on the team unalived himself which was particularly hard on the program). So it was a chance to help get the program back into a place where it can and could be successful. A lot of which you'll see the efforts of here.  

oym6Nnw.png

Bishop Kelly Knights- Identity:  I kept one logo and brought in a couple of my own. I have another, more BK centric design project worked up but haven't touched on it in a long time so that'll have to wait for another day, but parts came over from it. 

• Colors -  I couldn't stand Wiz Khalifa in high school, given that our colors are black and yellow (or gold, depending on who you ask).  
  • Primary Logo - Kept the classic block BK interlocking logo, which I find superior to the more romanesque logo the football team uses.
  • Secondary Logo -  BK cannot find a good knighthead logo to save their lives. We've used UCF's logo, Rutgers' logos, and now are currently using a clip art masterpiece. I created a new knighthead, one that is unique to Bishop Kelly, while drawing upon historical logos.
  • Wordmarks - Knights script logo, I created for the team's new uniforms. 
  • Jersey Fonts - Block font. 

Before we get into the uniforms, a quick trip through the uniform history I have access to (from about 2010-2022) 

When I started on JV (8th graders at feeder schools were allowed to play on the JV teams up until fairly recently) our uniforms hadn't changed much if at all from the past. Club hockey had been around for while in the Boise area but photo evidence isn't super forthcoming. My uniforms were the Boston Bruins pooh bear uniforms' base with an incredibly overdesigned Knight on a horse logo. Our black uniforms could most closely be described as precursors to the Anaheim Ducks current home uniforms, with the sweeping stripes up the sides and on the cuffs. 

Spoiler

DyZlCmP.png Oa8QG2h.jpg

After I graduated is when things got lazy, for lack of a better word. The black jersey stuck around for a season or two, and the yellow jersey did too. The crest changed on that one, but inexplicably, the yellow socks vanished in favor of black socks... and a separate set of black socks were given to the black uniforms ...

Spoiler

Bishop Kelly High School dsc0206 large

After another year or two, the any sense of design went away, going to blank black and gold jerseys, with BK emblazoned on the front, and a bible verse on the sleeve, because of course, and it was around this time I was tasked to help change the fact that the team was wearing glorified practice jerseys

Spoiler

Bishop Kelly Athletics djMVYKi.jpg

Starting with the gold uniforms, I was largely inspired by Michigan Tech's uniforms, with the text in the stripes on the chest, which is where the script from above came in. I thought they turned out pretty well, especially given the previous uniform history. The black jerseys... well that was more disheartening. I was in the mindset to finally give the team consistent uniforms, but the coaches wanted something more inline with the Lightning's black alternate uniform... yes the black and grey ones.  Despite my protests and reasons why we shouldn't do this, I was overruled, resulting in what you see below. 

Spoiler

QJCJnFB.jpg 2iocHON.jpg

fABwZpv.png

Bishop Kelly Knights - Uniforms:

•  Home - Away:  Now that you've seen the history I could give for the uniforms, time to see what I went with.  
    • Jerseys /Socks - The gold jersey pretty much stays the same from a design standpoint, with the stripes on the chest, not continuing on the back. With the updated branding is where things begin to change a little. I went with a baseball mentality for the uniforms: nickname on the home, city/high school on the road, alternate is the alternate. So the knighthead goes on the gold jersey, BK on the black. Oh, forgot to mention, BK has always worn gold as their "light/white" jersey and I kept that going. I don't know if it's a requirement, but every BK team has a cross somewhere on the uniforms, and hockey has it right below the back collar. 
    • Equipment - Black all around, Knights script on the side of the helmet, gloves with a gold cuff, pants with the stripe down the side. 
  • Alternate - The Lakers uniform pattern was cool to be a part of, but I always yearned for a white jersey. I mentioned it more than once that we should have a white alternate jersey for fun. It fell on deaf ears then and it still falls on deaf ears today. 
    • Jersey/Socks - The current gold jersey goes white, adds the BK to the shoulders and really doesn't change any more than that. 
    • Equipment - no changes to the equipment. 

Crazy to see my high school on this forum. Let me know what you all think! 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - SIC - Bishop Kelly Knights

2. Boise Braves - Est. 1881 - Boise, ID - Classification: 5A

Boise High School is the oldest high school in the state, and if I remember correctly, still using part of the original building. Despite the deep history of the school, the athletics at Boise really haven't managed much in recent years outside of a girls' cross country state title in 2018. When it came to hockey, for my first two seasons on varsity, Boise was able to field a team by themselves but by my junior year, they weren't able to anymore and fielded a combined team, called the T-Braves with Timberline, whom we'll meet later in this conference.

BHS made some amount of news, don't know how far ranged it got, when they decided to drop the (s) from it's now previous nickname Braves and simply go by Brave. I personally think it was the wrong move. I understand why they did what they did, they had been phasing out logos that were offensive or could be deemed offensive (they used Chief Wahoo for a few teams which you could imagine went over well) but also used the Atlanta Braves wordmark too, which doesn't really have the same effect. 

For my efforts here, I went back to the Braves nickname but did the Illinois thing, where the Native American logo was largely ignored/retired. 

XM2exVt.png

Boise Braves - Identity:  I touched on a lot of the identity in the preamble so there's not a lot that bears repeating. 

• Colors -  Black and red serve as the main colors. As far as I can find in their history, red has been a part of the color scheme and I think black has as well, but that isn't as clear. 
  • Primary Logo - Went with a Utah Utes-esque logo, with feathers coming off the top serif of the B. It's sort of a take on a logo the team has used, which is more directly a ripoff of Utah's logo.
  • Secondary Logo -  This logo actually came from a basketball camp flier from a couple years ago and I can't seem to find it in use anywhere else. with some updates. The four feathers represent the four pillars of what BHS instills in her students: wisdom, justice, temperance and courage. 
  • Wordmarks - Classic, "varsity" arched wordmarks. 
  • Jersey Fonts - Classic block font for the numbers, with notched serifs. 

No photo description available. No photo description available.

Boise for the longest time, wore the classic New Jersey Devils uniforms, at least the red ones, as you can see in the first image, but in my time they never had the matching white jerseys, instead going for simple, blank white jerseys with their now retired Braves logo on it, which you can see on the right image, with the tool holding the trophy. 

for the T-Braves team, with Timberline using blue, Boise using red, the combined team team used the NY Rangers uniforms:

No photo description available.

AeKHQCU.png

Boise Braves - Uniforms:

•  Home - Away:    
    • Jerseys /Socks - It's a return to a more classic look. I took the Braves back to the New Jersey look, this time combining a bit of both eras, the new stripes from the Adidas uniforms, with the overall look of the long time uniforms. B-feather logo on the chest, arrowhead on the shoulders. 
    • Equipment - Black all around, Braves on the helmet, triple stripe on the pants, gloves with red fingers and cuffs. 
  • Alternate:
    • Jersey/Socks - I really didn't have a concrete plan for the alternate. I was originally going to just go with a simple color swap, but I instead ended up with something again New Jersey inspired. The stripes are very much reminiscent of the red and green era, with the offset stripes. The B logo moves to the shoulders with the arched Boise now covering the chest with the player number under it. 

C&C appreciated!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - SIC - Boise High Braves

3. Borah Lions - Est. 1958 - Boise, ID - Classification: 5A

Borah High School was the second high school to be founded in the Boise School District, 56 years after Boise was opened and would be the first of 3 total high schools to open in the BSD (1 of which moves to Meridian's SD) over the next 25 years. Borah gets it's name and nickname from former US Senator and presidential candidate William Borah, nicknamed the "Lion of Idaho" for his rather loud and outspoken personality, loudly opposing the ratification of the Treaty of Versailles and his failed attempts at gaining the Republican ticket for the Presidential Election in 1936. Despite this, he is one of Idaho's most well known historical figures, having the aforementioned high school and Idaho's highest peak named in his honor. 

Borah's athletics used to dominate the southern parts of Idaho. Football, led by Ed Troxel, winning the pre-state tournament title 15 out of 21 times in the school's early history, and 2 more with the advent of the state tournament, but haven't won since 1981. Basketball also has seen dominance, winning 13 total state titles, and most recently having won back to back in 2019 and 2020. Borah and Bishop Kelly are separated by less than a mile, and despite the difference in classification, have made a greater attempt to play each other in the 3 major high school sports in the last 10 years, the games of which have become known as the Battle of the Canal, for the irrigation canal that runs behind both campus'.  

Hockey on the other hand, hasn't quite seen the same success. Borah was also in a combined team situation with Capital High School, who we will meet next after Borah, and later were forced to join again with Meridian HS, but that partnership did not have to last that long. To my knowledge, Borah (and Capital by extension) have never had individual teams. 

DtGmIJg.png

Borah Lions- Identity: 

• Colors -  The first time we've seen this color combo since Lakeland in the Inland Empire, Borah keeps its classic green and gold color scheme. 
  • Primary Logo - At first I was not intent on keeping the "flaming lion". I felt that a more refined and traditional lion logo would be more fitting, but after cleaning it up a little, I ended up keeping it around. 
  • Secondary Logo -  The baseball team has used the Boston B for a long time and I thought it fit in with with the identity as a good secondary logo. 
  • Wordmarks -  Much like Boise, a classic styled font. 
  • Jersey Fonts - Another pretty classic styled number font, with an accompanying serif NOB font. 

PSA_20091108_2027 | Timberline Wolves vs. Borah-Capital Grif… | Patrick  Arnold | Flickr

I managed to track down an image of Borah-Capital's white uniforms, which were just the Dallas Stars' Reebok Edge uniforms, which was a good combo of Borah's green and Capital's gold. 

Ak98xcj.png

Borah Lions - Uniforms:

•  Home - Away:    
    • Jerseys /Socks - For a long while, going before I even cooked up this project as I know it today, I had imagined the white jersey for Borah pretty much as it exists as you see it. The double stripes on the sleeves and hem and the arched text on the chest. Originally, I had Borah on both uniforms above the number, but felt it too similar to what Boise's alternate became, so I switched it up to Lions on the home, Borah on the away and the Lion logo under them both. Contrasting yoke on the white jersey, gold collars on both.  
    • Equipment - Borah has worn a gold helmet in football for as long as I can remember, and it goes well with the overall look, so that happens here as well. Pants are green with the B logo on the leg. Gloves are green with a gold accent by the thumb. 
  • Alternate:
    • Jersey/Socks - I had more of a plan for Borah's alternate than Boise's, but there were still a couple things I had to decide on. The chest gets adorned with diagonal text, with a logo treatment very much inspired by Michigan basketball's national championship uniforms. I had debated on Detroit Red Wings away jersey sleeves in green and gold but it didn't turn out looking good so just simple one color stripes around. 

C&C appreciated!

• Like 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - SIC - Borah Lions

4. Capital Eagles - Est. 1965 - Boise, ID - Classification: 5A

Capital High School is the 3rd of the 4 BSD public high schools, being built in 1965 to serve more of North Boise. I used to drive by it every day going to work and I have to say that I'm pretty sure the exterior façade of the building hasn't been updated since day 1. Capital competes fairly well in the region and the state overall, notably having a very successful tennis program. They also compete informally with Centennial High School over who is the true "CHS" in the area, but between you and me, no one calls Centennial CHS. Capital has had a few famous alumni roll through her doors. Geraldo Boldewijn, former Boise State and CFL wide receiver, and Bryan Harsin, former Boise State & Auburn head coach, who would be the most famous athletic alumni if it weren't also for Jake Plummer, former NFL QB and mushroom farmer. 

Like I mentioned above, Capital was combined with Borah for as long as I can remember, so this is the first real instance of Capital's hockey team existing on its own. 

fiIUBWi.png

Capital Eagles - Identity: 

• Colors -  A black and gold scheme, with more of a Purdue/Saints Throwback gold than what BK uses. 
  • Primary Logo - It's not uncommon or unexpected for a high school to use a college's or pro team's logo. but it's usually a good idea not to bastardize the logos completely. I dumped the Eagles' logo entirely and reworked the Cavs logo into their brand, with cleaned up lines and added the drop shadow. 
  • Secondary Logo -  Capital has used Southern Miss' retired full body eagle and I kept that around and changed the gold to the new shade. 
  • Wordmarks -  An angular styled font, fitting with the primary logo. 
  • Jersey Fonts - Matches the wordmark font. 

oLhcATj.png

Capital Eagles - Uniforms:

•  Home - Away:    
    • Jerseys /Socks - Capital does a good job of balancing both their main colors on their real life uniforms, but personally wanted to get some more gold in the mix, which feels more unique than leading heavy into the black. I ended up with a Cleveland Browns style stripe as the main look, which leads with the gold, Eagle logo on the chests, C on the shoulders. Opted against a matching hem stripe with just a simple stripe instead.  
    • Equipment - Like Borah, the football team has been long known for their gold helmets, though Capital for a long time was doing gold helmets on offense and black on defense, which I'm not entirely sure how that was legal at all, but that probably is above my pay grade. Gold helmets, black gloves with gold fingers, pants with a double stripe down the sides, sort of Kings style.
  • Alternate:
    • Jersey/Socks - Nothing crazy, just a color and logo swap, which I have to say, the C logo looks good IMO in that color way. 

C&C appreciated!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - SIC - Capital Eagles
22 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

Equipment - Like Borah, the football team has been long known for their gold helmets, though Capital for a long time was doing gold helmets on offense and black on defense, which I'm not entirely sure how that was legal at all, but that probably is above my pay grade.

Odd...definitely very odd.  What, did the guys who played both ways have two helmets?  In any case, I strangely wonder if that coach played electric football, where having your offense in color and defense in white is common among serious players.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 5/7/2023 at 10:53 AM, Discrim said:

Odd...definitely very odd.  What, did the guys who played both ways have two helmets?  In any case, I strangely wonder if that coach played electric football, where having your offense in color and defense in white is common among serious players.

I'm honestly not sure. Besides having no connection to the high school, not having access anymore to local newspapers hasn't made searching for information any easier, and I might have exaggerated it being an offense/defense split, but there were distinctly players on the same side of the ball wearing different helmets. 

Capital High School (Boise, ID) Varsity Football

As I typed this out, I found this! This was taken in 2022 so apparently it's still an on going practice, but I definitely exaggerated it. It looks like it could be a captains thing, but one of the team captains is in the more common gold helmet, so I'm not sure. Capital's JV team also wears gold helmets so it's not a case of a JV call-up. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

5. Centennial Patriots - Est. 1987 - Boise, ID  (West Ada School District) - Classification: 5A

The other "CHS" in the area, Centennial High School is one of the younger high schools in the Treasure Valley. Originally planned to be the 4th high school in Boise's school district. at the time, was in "unincorporated Ada County" but as the area grew around it, it became closer to Meridian than Boise, despite having a Boise address. It was named Centennial for the centennial of Idaho, celebrated in 1990. 

Centennial never threatened anyone athletically during my high school days and really since then. Girls soccer won a state title in 2015 but that's their most recent state championship, boys or girls. However, their lacrosse team always had a Samoan faceoff guy, and if you've ever faced off in lacrosse or played anything against a Samoan, you can imagine how difficult that was. 

As for hockey, in yet another case of combined teams, Centennial has been partnered with Mountain View longer than I can remember or played high school hockey. I can't say for certain, but I don't think that team ever had more than 5 Centennial students. 

kGBen0O.png

Centennial Patriots - Identity: 

• Colors -  Darker red, silver and white. 
  • Primary Logo - With a nickname like Patriots, you can bet they've used and continue to use Patriot Pat. I, however, retired him again, and used their "minuteman" logo that's popped up in the last few seasons. 
  • Secondary Logo -  Despite by best efforts, I could not come up with a better script logo than what the Regina Pats use and so that comes over in a darker shade of red. 
  • Wordmarks -  Just kind of a modern font, nothing super wild. 
  • Jersey Fonts - United has its moments when it can work in a sports setting and I think this is one of those moments. 

eWu0s38.png

Centennial Patriots - Uniforms:

•  Home - Away:    
    • Jerseys /Socks - So the inspiration for these uniforms, was actually another logo Centennial uses. The double stripe from the tri-corn hat in the logo was the base and I added smaller double stripes on either side of the sleeve stripes. Patriot logo on the shoulders, Pats script on the chest. Simpler double stripe on the hem. 
    • Equipment - All dark red, gloves have silver and white accents. Pats script on the helmets, blank pants.  
  • Alternate:
    • Jersey/Socks - The alternate is a lot simpler than the home and away uniforms and that stemmed from the original plan for the away jersey. I had paired grey socks with the red jersey originally, kind of Boston Bruins style, but with the alternate going grey, I didn't like the idea of two different sets of grey socks, so I scrapped the contrasting socks idea and used that design as the alternate. Biggest change of note is the Patriot logo going on the chest and the stripes getting simpler. 

C&C appreciated!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - SIC - Centennial Patriots

6. Eagle Mustangs - Est. 1995- Eagle, ID  - Classification: 5A

Eagle is to Idaho, what Edina is to Minnesota. Eagle is one of the richer cities in the state and Treasure Valley especially. As such their high school is one of the nicer ones in the region. Athletically, they compete well but just can't seem to capture amu state championships, not having won one since 2015 in any sport. They were however the first high school in the state to invest in artificial turf, which they did in 2006. 

Hockey wise, they play as a combined team, imagine that, with Rocky Mountain, who we will meet towards the end of the SIC-E. That partnership has been around for a while now, not sure how long, but given that Rocky Mountain has been a school since 2008, I could imagine that it's been going on since then. 

zDhANuP.png

Eagle Mustangs - Identity: 

• Colors -  Forest Green stays around, but the debate was around black vs silver, and I felt that black worked better. 
  • Primary Logo - They've used the Broncos logo since I can remember and that stuck around. 
  • Secondary Logo -  Block E, they've used it pretty interchangeably with the Broncos logo. 
  • Wordmarks -  Modern font. 
  • Jersey Fonts - Nike Uncontested, we'll touch on that later. 

wjBXGBV.png

Eagle Mustangs - Uniforms:

•  Home - Away:    
    • Jerseys /Socks - It always seems like Eagle is wearing the latest catalog offerings from Nike, which played a large role in the uniforms here. I personally am a big fan of the hazard stripe motif Nike pushed a few years back, and so was Eagle who adopted it for their football team, before they switched to the Boise State stripes. For the hockey uniforms, not quite the same stripe style. Shoulder stripes with 5 diagonal cuts. Hem stripe follows along with the sleeves. Mustang logo on the chest. Socks go for the same stripes, no hazard cuts. 
    • Equipment - Black pants, green hazard stripe. Black helmets and gloves, the latter of which has a green cuff. 
  • Alternate:
    • Jersey/Socks - The alternate keeps the same motif going. Biggest changes are the hem stripe moves up to the chest, with just the hazard slashes on the chest, and the E logo takes over for the mustang logo. 

C&C appreciated!

• Like 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - SIC - Eagle Mustangs

7. Kuna Kavemen - Est. 1924 - Kuna, ID  - Classification: 5A

Kuna is quickly becoming one of the fastest growing cities in Idaho. Seated 8 miles south of Meridian, off of SH69, Kuna has grown exponentially and shows no signs of slowing down, even garnering Costco's attention just 3 years after building the 3rd warehouse in the valley. 

The rapid growth of Kuna has led to Kuna High School getting moved up the classification ladder pretty quickly going from 3A in the mid 80's to 90's all the way up to 5A in 2015.  BK and Kuna have had some pretty good battles over the course of the years, usually ending up going BK's way, though in 2019, Kuna finally broke through, beating BK for the 4A SIC District Title and taking the State Title over Blackfoot, whom we'll meet in the next and final AA conference. 

As for hockey, Kuna makes no real appearance in the state. I personally haven't known anyone or played with or against anyone from Kuna, and I'd imagine they'd play for one of the Meridian high schools. Though with their growth, I'd imagine that probably could change. 

CeNqXWc.png

Kuna Kavemen - Identity: 

• Colors -  Another black and gold team, this time the gold settles in the middle of BK's and Capital's. 
  • Primary Logo - The primary logo used to be a block K on top of two crossed Florida State spears. Digging a little deeper, this appears to be something of a football-specific logo, with the vast majority of the results giving the logo you see above, which is one of the best in the state IMO. However, it does seem that the logo is making a comeback, with their football coach having brough the spears back to the helmet. I however, felt the Kaveman to be the better option here. 
  • Secondary Logo -  Baseball uses a more gothic K, and I wanted to bring that over as is, but instead went with something less than gothic but still capturing those vibes. 
  • Wordmarks -  The K worked for the secondary logo but not the whole wordmark, so I went with a pointed serif font that I felt worked with the whole identity. 
  • Jersey Fonts - TT Octas works well as the number font, slotting in as a condensed version of the wordmark font. 

nNd54Wz.png

Kuna Kavemen - Uniforms:

•  Home - Away:    
    • Jerseys /Socks - Kuna does a blackout better than a lot of schools who try, but gold sometimes becomes an afterthought. I wanted to give gold a shot to shine, no pun intended. The stripes are a modified version of their current football jersey's stripes, which morphed into something close to the Cleveland Browns stripes. Kaveman logo front and center. Socks match their jerseys. 
    • Equipment - Black pants, K Logo on the front leg. Gloves are all black with gold accents. Helmet has the Kaveman wordmark on the side. 
  • Alternate:
    • Jersey/Socks - Gold gets its biggest chance to shine, taking over as the base color, and the stripes pare down to just a double black stripe, which also moves up to the chest. K logo is now the chest logo, with the Kaveman going up to the shoulders. 

C&C appreciated!

17 hours ago, Discrim said:

Eagle Mustangs...hm.  Guess something eagle related was judged to be too hokey or something.

5 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Haha, bummer that we couldn't get the Eagle Eagles.

@colinturner95 This is a great series; thanks for posting.

I personally would have gone with "Stampede" or "Thunder". Their football field is called Thunder Stadium, and I feel like it would have been more unique and could still have used a horse logo or theme.  I'm sure they wanted to avoid the bird theme as it probably would have been too low-hanging, if you catch the parlance. 

Glad you guys are enjoying the series! I was doing a lot of talking to myself there for a while 😅

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - SIC - Kuna Kavemen

8. Meridian Warriors - Est. 1904 - Meridian, ID  - Classification: 5A

There was once upon a time where Meridian High School dominated sports in, not just Idaho, but the northwest at large. My dad has told me stories about how his high school, the Richland Bombers of Richland, WA, would travel down to Boise and get their butts kicked by Meridian. And the same would be true in basketball and baseball. But then the Treasure Valley rapidly began to see a population surge, resulting in Mountain View HS and Rocky Mountain HS chipping away at their enrollment and the dominance began to falter. 

Meridian's hockey team kept the dominance going the longest, having enough players to field 2 varsity teams and 2 JV teams for a long while. They also captured 3 straight titles around the turn of the century, which to my knowledge is the last they've won. A few of my travel teammates played for Meridian and their coach was our travel coach, so they kept the winning ways going, just couldn't capture a state title. 

gfOgT08.png

Meridian Warriors - Identity: 

• Colors -  Navy and gold. Very much feels like if Michigan was a high school. 
  • Primary Logo - They used a slightly recolored Chief Illiniwek logo for a long time and finally phased him out not too long ago, which is when I think the non-descript Warrior head came in. I've always thought it was a good logo, so I kept it around. 
  • Secondary Logo -  More Michigan vibes. Meridian has used the M-banner logo for quite a long time, I just changed out MERIDIAN in the banner to WARRIORS. 
  • Wordmarks -  No full wordmarks, just a Warriors script. 
  • Jersey Fonts - Pretty simple and standard block font. 

Rcp73Mg.png

Meridian Warriors - Uniforms:

•  Home - Away:    
    • Jerseys /Socks - For the longest time, I thought Meridian used repurposed Michigan uniforms, but as it turns out, these are not Michigan blanks. In the end, it doesn't even matter, because I wanted to bring these uniforms back pretty much as is, because I thought they were some of the best high school jerseys in Idaho. Biggest changes from real life is the stripes on the sleeves get bigger, and the Warriors logo is now on the chest. 
    • Equipment - Navy equipment all arounder. Pants have the same stripes as the jerseys. Gloves have a yellow thumb and cuffs. 
  • Alternate:
    • Jersey/Socks - Navy takes over as the away jersey, so gold is relegated to the away, which is not a huge deal. Only real changes is the Warriors script replaces the Warrior head as the main logo on the chest. 

C&C appreciated!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - SIC - Meridian Warriors

9. Mountain View Mavericks - Est. 2003 - Meridian, ID  - Classification: 5A

Mountain View joined the Meridian School District (now the West Ada S.D.) around the turn of the century to help with the influx of people living in Meridian. They've quickly turned into one of the best athletic schools in the state, and they should, their enrollment is upwards of 3500 students annually. It's a surprise that there aren't plans for another high school in that area of Meridian. 

Athletically, the team competes with the best in the state and in the valley. MVHS was quick to establish a rivalry with Meridian and later on with Rocky Mountain, the latter of which I think is the more fun. Their football teams play annually in the Battle of the Mountains, which I think has been slowly filtering out to other sports as well. 

Hockeywise, Mountain View has been a combined team with Centennial for as long as I can remember. However this partnership is pretty one sided. Centennial, as I previously mentioned doesn't contribute a lot of players, or at least hasn't historically, so the team has been branded as Mountain View with no mention of Centennial in a lot of cases. The team also hasn't been historically competitive, outside of a decent regular season in my brother's sophomore season. 

uk7VnAD.png

Mountain View Mavericks - Identity: 

• Colors -  Navy has been a constant since day 1. The shade of green on the other hand, has floated between a nice kelly green or going as garish as Seahawks' Action Green. No need for a middle ground as kelly green is the right choice. 
  • Primary Logo - Since the beginning, MV has used the Texans logo with green swapping in for red. In recent years, they've more focused on using this MV horned lockup which I think is strong enough to be the primary. 
  • Secondary Logo -  Certain teams have also taken to using a recolored Nebraska-Omaha logo which I'm kinda iffy on but it can serve as a secondary here. 
  • Wordmarks -  Big and bold wordmark, nothing super crazy. 
  • Jersey Fonts - I went with the Jaguars old font with the angled serifs. Thought it fit with the new branding direction. 

Mountain View Mavericks - Uniforms:

So I mentioned above that Mountain View hasn't really mentioned Centennial in recent years, but that wasn't always the case. The first picture is of the team up until 2014, when they wore LA Kings uniforms with their combined team nickname on the chest. On the right, the kid getting folded like a lawn chair by my best friend, is wearing uniforms that lasted a year because the kid who is getting folded's dad bought the uniforms from a company that decided to not exist past that year. It was also the first and only case I know of where the hockey leadership fired a coach in the immediate aftermath of a game. Probably had something to do with the same kid's dad trying to pick a fight with me in the handshake line. 

Anyways, now the team wears Vancouver Canucks jerseys which works for them. 

hwvLT1C.png

•  Home - Away:    
    • Jerseys /Socks - Scrapping everything from above, I went with an offset stripe which the football team has used in the past, and I thought looked good here. White jersey has a navy yoke, the Maverick logo on the shoulders, interlocked MV on the chest. Socks match their jerseys. 
    • Equipment - Navy pants and gloves. Pants have a simple green stripe on the legs that end in a horn on the sides of the pants. Gloves have a white cuff and green fingers. I don't 100% percent remember my rationale for the white helmets, but I liked the way it looked and stuck with it. 
  • Alternate:
    • Jersey/Socks - A completely different take from the home and away jerseys, based pretty much on the school's baseball uniforms. Gone is the offset stripe, replaced by a navy and white triple stripe. The logos go away for a script Mtn View. Socks match. 

C&C appreciated!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - SIC - Mountain View Mavericks

10. Owyhee Storm - Est. 2021 - Meridian, ID  - Classification: 5A

The baby amongst high schools in the Treasure Valley as well as Idaho at large. With Meridian's population continuing to surge, particularly on the north side of our main freeway, plans went in pre-pandemic for a 5th Meridian high school in the West Ada School District. Delayed by just a year, Owyhee (oh-why-hee)  opened in fall 2021 with an enrollment of 1800 students. 

The school's athletics nickname garnered some local attention. Originally the plan was to be the Thunder, and logos were completed and ready to go for opening. Until Eagle High School raised oppositions due to their stadium being named Thunder Stadium. This lead to the team becoming called the Storm and logos were reworked, and not necessarily for the better. Logo snafu aside, the Storm have made themselves known in the state, winning the state basketball championship in their first year and just completed a back to back in state baseball. 

NytkJuE.png

Owyhee Storm - Identity: 

• Colors -  Red is their primary. They've already floated between using grey or black as a secondary. I led with black as the secondary but greys show up in logos and uniforms as well. 
  • Primary Logo -Having changed from the Thunder to the Storm, new logos were needed and the one they went with... well, sucks. It's a weird combination of abstract hurricane marks and the Oregon O. Instead of that, a wordmark logo with a hurricane logo (I'm pretty sure its the Cincinnati Cyclones logo. One of their club teams was using it in a capacity). 
  • Secondary Logo -  Pulled the hurricane logo out from the wordmark. 
  • Wordmarks -  OHS with a gradient to the left of the letters. 
  • Jersey Fonts - Call it a modern font that fits the "stormy" vibe. 

7sjKvje.png

Owyhee Storm - Uniforms:

•  Home - Away:    
    • Jerseys /Socks - With no hockey history to build off of, or any history for that matter, I went from scratch on these. I thought that with a wordmark-built logo, a chest stripe was a good way to accent that, and so a Florida Panthers looking jersey is born. Socks have the same stripes. 
    • Equipment - Navy pants and helmets, both with the OHS logo on them. Red gloves felt better than back did. 
  • Alternate:
    • Jersey/Socks - A completely different spin. I took the gradient from the alternate logo and blew it up to fit on the sleeves and on the side panels, because everyone loves side panels on hockey jerseys! OHS takes center stage on these jerseys. 

C&C appreciated!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - SIC:E - Owyhee Storm

11. Rocky Mountain Grizzlies - Est. 2008 - Meridian, ID  - Classification: 5A

Rocky Mountain opened in 2008 to help with the growth of North Meridian and help take some of the enrollment off of Meridian High which in turn helped to alleviate Mountain View all the way on the south side of Interstate 84. The result has been Rocky Mountain becoming the largest high school in the state of Idaho, taking the crown away from their Mountain mate. 

In addition to being the biggest, they're also one of the most competitive schools in the state, usually appearing in the state semifinals or state finals, and either winning it or losing to one of the schools from the East side of state, whom we'll meet at as the last conference in the AA level. 

As a hockey team, they combined with Eagle to be able to field a team and as a result were a very good team. Just not good enough to win a championship in my time. Or in my brother's for that matter. 

8a45awd.png

Rocky Mountain Grizzlies - Identity: 

• Colors -  Purple and black stick as the main colors. 
  • Primary Logo - In the beginning, Rocky lifted the Memphis team of the same name's logo and in recent years have been using Central Arkansas' logo in place and I stuck with that. 
  • Secondary Logo -  Full version of the primary. 
  • Wordmarks -  RM interlock and a Grizzlies wordmark. 
  • Jersey Fonts - Modern font, less pointy than the wordmarks. 

2t1x7EY.png

Rocky Mountain Grizzlies - Uniforms:

•  Home - Away:    
    • Jerseys /Socks - As good as a combined look can get I guess, Eagle and Rocky called their hockey team the "Eagle-Rocky Horse Bears", which is a pretty good amalgam of the two identities. Rocky's identity gets the colored jersey look and Eagle fills in the white jersey look. That however is not needed here. Rocky's football team wore Baylor recolors for the longest time with the paw on the sleeve caps. I took the paw off the caps and put it on the ends of the jersey sleeves with a stripe above them. Similarly weighted stripe on the hem. Grizzly logo on the chest. 
    • Equipment - Black pants with the paw on the side, black gloves and purple helmets. 
  • Alternate:
    • Jersey/Socks - This was the original idea for the home and away but was relegated in favor of the paw design. The sleeve decoration basically flips to the upper part of the sleeve and the full bear logo is now on the chest. 

C&C appreciated!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - SIC:E - Rocky Mountain Grizzlies

12. Timberline Wolves - Est. 1998 (originally Les Bois Junior High, 1994) - Boise, ID  - Classification: 5A

The final high school in the SIC East, and the most recent school to open in the Boise School District. This school serves the growing southeast area of Boise, which is quickly expanding into the Foothills of Boise, despite the concerns of building houses on the terrain. This is another area of the Treasure Valley that I'm surprised hasn't seen consideration for another high school. And maybe they are and I am not privy to the conversation. 

The Wolves don't usually threaten athletically. My junior and senior year we did a "home and home", since we're in different classifications, and we clobbered them in our junior year meeting and blew it my senior year on a pick six and doomed 2 pt conversion attempt in overtime. Hockey-wise however, they were one of the dominant teams in the state. My travel head coach was the head coach there and most of my boys played for Timberline, and their combined team the T-Braves. They won the state high school championship in 2014 at my teams' expense. Was the cherry on-top to a pretty rough six month stretch. 

iRM8Ll5.png

Timberline Wolves - Identity: 

• Colors -  Blue and black are the primary colors. Silver is used as a trim color and a color primarily on the alternate jersey. 
  • Primary Logo - They've used this wolf logo as long as I can remember and I'm sticking with it. 
  • Secondary Logo -  Another logo they've used in conjunction with the wolf head, and I just updated the T to match the font. 
  • Wordmarks -  No nonsense block font. 
  • Jersey Fonts - Same as the wordmark, no nonsense. 

No photo description available.

Remember when Easton made hockey gear? for a time, they also made sublimated hockey jerseys and I guess the pro shop at the time got a discount on uniforms, because half the teams had horrible jerseys from them. Once they combined with Boise, if you remember from above, they went to the Rangers' template. They've since changed since then to a decent-ish look, despite the gradient jersey that I still contend is illegal.

iqJKJLh.png

Timberline Wolves - Uniforms:

•  Home - Away:    
    • Jerseys /Socks - So I mentioned the Rangers' look the combined team wore, and if Boise went back to their Devils' inspired look, the Wolves can take on the rangers look. Red is out, black is in. Wolf logo on the chest. 
    • Equipment - Blue helmets, three color gloves. I went back and forth on the pants option, seeing as I thought black and blue both were suitable options. Blue pants became the main option with the option for a black shell. 
  • Alternate:
    • Jersey/Socks - This is based on the current uniforms as the Rangers are out the window and more of a modern design comes in. Silver now has a more prominent place on the uniform, becoming the main stripe and taking on a dazzle like appearance, akin to VGK's gold jersey. T Wolf logo now on the chest. 
    • Equipment - no changes to the gloves and helmet. I showed it with the blue pants set, but I'd think the black shells would more likely be worn more often with it. 

Conference Wrap up coming tomorrow! 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - SIC:E - Timberline Wolves

We've reached the end of another conference, and that means it's time for another conference tournament!

I3euEtm.png

Play-In Round:

• 2 really exciting games off the jump. #9 Meridian led 2-0 all game, Eagle clawed back to tie the game in the late 3rd period, only for Meridian to win the game less than a minute into OT. And Timberline upset their former partner in crime in another OT finish, capping off a hat trick effort to advance to the quarterfinals. 
  • Owyhee showed their youth against the establishment, posing no threat to Borah. 
  • The postseason edition of the Battle of the Mountains sees Mountain View end Rocky's season early with a resounding offensive output. 

Quarterfinals:

• For the first time in these sims, the top seeds get some luck to go their way and seeds 1,2 & 3 had no issues, outscoring their opponents 17-2 en route to the semifinals. 
  • Centennial and Borah turned in the closest game of the round, needing less than 30 seconds of OT for Centennial to advance. 

Semifinals:

• Top seeded BK wins one of the best games (that never happened) in IDHSAA history, winning 1-0 in an evenly matched game that was carried by BK's stifling defense. 
  • Here's the story about semifinal two: Kuna takes the lead late in the 3rd period, Capital responds to tie the game, Kuna then takes penalty and 14 seconds later, Capital scores the game winning goal in the dying seconds of the 3rd. 

Conference Championship:

• For as good as the semis were, the Championship paled in comparison. Bk rode their stifling defense to a conference championship, only allowing 12 total shots on goal and their offense tuned up Capital to the sound of four goals to earn the auto bid to the State Championship weekend!

4JgyBdt.png

Designer's Notes:

• All in all, I felt it was a much more balanced conference aesthetically. Only color that was really missing was orange. 
  • Green makes a welcome reappearance, with 3 teams using it in some fashion. 
  • Gold also plays a large part, with 3 really distinct shades. 

Southern Idaho West coming up soon!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - SIC:East Recap

dhZig66.png

Ov6jegW.png

The other half of the Southern Idaho schools, this time we're looking at the 8 teams west of Ada County, in the aptly named Southern Idaho Conference - West. Crafty, I know. This is also the only conference with just 8 teams. There were a handful of 3A level schools that could have made the jump, but I decided against it. 

• Unlike the SIC-E that was mostly 5A with a 4A member, this is the inverse with 7 of 8 schools being at the 4A level, with Skyview (bottom row, 3rd team) being the lone 5A member. 
  • Not a lot of geographic oddities. A couple of clusters in Nampa with 3 schools, and Caldwell, with 2. 
    • Emmett does sit further out that most of the schools, being a 45 minute drive from Columbia. That highway you see next to Emmett doesn't currently connect to the interstate, but that problem is actively being fixed so that goes away. 
    • Middleton is also a little away from everyone, but is a 15 minute drive from Caldwell. So not that bad in all honesty. 

First team up soon!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - Southern Idaho West Intro

1. Caldwell Cougars - Est. 1901 - Caldwell, ID  - Classification: 4A

Something I forgot to mention in the intro post, in stark contrast to a lot of the schools in the SIC East, the schools in the West have little to no hockey history of their own. Instead, most players who lived in Canyon County (where most of these schools are located) formed a large combined team called Canyon County, which for a time was one of the best teams in the state, winning a state championship in 2010 or 2011. Hard times fell on them after that, going seasons between wins. 

As for Caldwell HS, the first team up here. They never really threatened BK at the athletic level, certainly not in football. I'm not sure that in the last 10-15 they've beaten BK, but I could be wrong. Caldwell's soccer team has seen a resurgence in recent years, after not having won the state title since 1985, have won it 3 of the last 5 seasons.  

Caldwell has graduated a few famous alumni, probably most notably Joe Albertson, founder of Albertson's grocery stores, Randy Trautman, BSU I-AA National Champion and short lived CFL player and journeyman QB Cody Pickett. 

G4iBk5F.png

Caldwell Cougars - Identity: 

• Colors -  Blue and gold have been Caldwell's colors for as long as I can remember and it works so no reason to change. 
  • Primary Logo - For a short time, they actually used the old Prince George Cougars' logo, recolored to fit their needs. They've since transitioned to using this line work logo, which works much, much better. 
  • Secondary Logo -  I got vintage sort of vibes from the primary logo which led to a slab serif C logo as the secondary. 
  • Wordmarks -  Same font as the secondary logo, spelling out the school and nickname. 
  • Jersey Fonts - Vintage block font, with a drop shadow (a lost art in athletic aesthetics today) 

Ra7R8JT.png

Caldwell Cougars - Uniforms:

•  Home - Away:    
    • Jerseys /Socks - Owning to the vintage feelings I got from the primary logo, that played a large influence on the jerseys, which are basically the Flyers' uniforms, just in blue and gold. Only difference there besides colors, is the double stripe on the socks and hem. I did something against the norm with the numbers and left it yellow on the white jersey, sort of like the Wild's first Reverse Retro. 
    • Equipment - Blue helmets, blue gloves and pants. Nothing crazy here. 
  • Alternate:
    • Jersey/Socks - Kept the Flyers influence present but shifted more to the 90's Lindros uniforms style. I guess these would be most similar to the black uniforms of that era. Outside of the change in shoulder decoration, and to the hem, the Cougar logo goes away in favor of the C secondary logo. 
    • Equipment - no changes to speak of

Let me know what you guys think!

• Love 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - SIC:W - Caldwell Cougars

As someone that has worked at a lot of Idaho high school sports events in the past three or so years, this is a very interesting series, and I wish that some of these schools could take note of these design cues. With that said I have a couple of things that I want to note about the treasure valley schools, having spent most of my time around them.

On 5/12/2023 at 5:10 PM, colinturner95 said:

zDhANuP.png

Eagle Mustangs - Identity: 

• Colors -  Forest Green stays around, but the debate was around black vs silver, and I felt that black worked better. 
  • Primary Logo - They've used the Broncos logo since I can remember and that stuck around. 
  • Secondary Logo -  Block E, they've used it pretty interchangeably with the Broncos logo. 
  • Wordmarks -  Modern font. 
  • Jersey Fonts - Nike Uncontested, we'll touch on that later. 

Eagle has used the broncos logo for what seems like forever and it seemed like they were beginning to want to change it in the past year or so, because there were different Bronco-esq variations that were starting to be used. I distinctly remember the girls, and maybe the boys basketball teams, using a more rounded logo on some apparel, but it hasn’t seemed to catch on throughout the rest of the athletic department.

On 5/18/2023 at 9:21 AM, colinturner95 said:

8. Meridian Warriors - Est. 1904 - Meridian, ID  - Classification: 5A

There was once upon a time where Meridian High School dominated sports in, not just Idaho, but the northwest at large. My dad has told me stories about how his high school, the Richland Bombers of Richland, WA, would travel down to Boise and get their butts kicked by Meridian. And the same would be true in basketball and baseball. But then the Treasure Valley rapidly began to see a population surge, resulting in Mountain View HS and Rocky Mountain HS chipping away at their enrollment and the dominance began to falter. 

Meridian's hockey team kept the dominance going the longest, having enough players to field 2 varsity teams and 2 JV teams for a long while. They also captured 3 straight titles around the turn of the century, which to my knowledge is the last they've won. A few of my travel teammates played for Meridian and their coach was our travel coach, so they kept the winning ways going, just couldn't capture a state title. 

gfOgT08.png

Meridian Warriors - Identity: 

• Colors -  Navy and gold. Very much feels like if Michigan was a high school. 
  • Primary Logo - They used a slightly recolored Chief Illiniwek logo for a long time and finally phased him out not too long ago, which is when I think the non-descript Warrior head came in. I've always thought it was a good logo, so I kept it around. 
  • Secondary Logo -  More Michigan vibes. Meridian has used the M-banner logo for quite a long time, I just changed out MERIDIAN in the banner to WARRIORS. 
  • Wordmarks -  No full wordmarks, just a Warriors script. 
  • Jersey Fonts - Pretty simple and standard block font. 

Funny you say that Meridian looks like if Michigan became a high school. I know of multiple meridian parents that have bought Michigan gear with the block M to wear to sporting events. The school is pretty shameless about using the block M in all sorts of athletic and non athletic use cases, especially as they have seemingly moved away from the warrior head in the past five or so years.

On 5/22/2023 at 7:34 AM, colinturner95 said:

9. Mountain View Mavericks - Est. 2003 - Meridian, ID  - Classification: 5A

Mountain View joined the Meridian School District (now the West Ada S.D.) around the turn of the century to help with the influx of people living in Meridian. They've quickly turned into one of the best athletic schools in the state, and they should, their enrollment is upwards of 3500 students annually. It's a surprise that there aren't plans for another high school in that area of Meridian. 

Athletically, the team competes with the best in the state and in the valley. MVHS was quick to establish a rivalry with Meridian and later on with Rocky Mountain, the latter of which I think is the more fun. Their football teams play annually in the Battle of the Mountains, which I think has been slowly filtering out to other sports as well. 

Hockeywise, Mountain View has been a combined team with Centennial for as long as I can remember. However this partnership is pretty one sided. Centennial, as I previously mentioned doesn't contribute a lot of players, or at least hasn't historically, so the team has been branded as Mountain View with no mention of Centennial in a lot of cases. The team also hasn't been historically competitive, outside of a decent regular season in my brother's sophomore season. 

uk7VnAD.png

Mountain View Mavericks - Identity: 

• Colors -  Navy has been a constant since day 1. The shade of green on the other hand, has floated between a nice kelly green or going as garish as Seahawks' Action Green. No need for a middle ground as kelly green is the right choice. 
  • Primary Logo - Since the beginning, MV has used the Texans logo with green swapping in for red. In recent years, they've more focused on using this MV horned lockup which I think is strong enough to be the primary. 
  • Secondary Logo -  Certain teams have also taken to using a recolored Nebraska-Omaha logo which I'm kinda iffy on but it can serve as a secondary here. 
  • Wordmarks -  Big and bold wordmark, nothing super crazy. 
  • Jersey Fonts - I went with the Jaguars old font with the angled serifs. Thought it fit with the new branding direction. 

Mountain View Mavericks - Uniforms:

So I mentioned above that Mountain View hasn't really mentioned Centennial in recent years, but that wasn't always the case. The first picture is of the team up until 2014, when they wore LA Kings uniforms with their combined team nickname on the chest. On the right, the kid getting folded like a lawn chair by my best friend, is wearing uniforms that lasted a year because the kid who is getting folded's dad bought the uniforms from a company that decided to not exist past that year. It was also the first and only case I know of where the hockey leadership fired a coach in the immediate aftermath of a game. Probably had something to do with the same kid's dad trying to pick a fight with me in the handshake line. 

Anyways, now the team wears Vancouver Canucks jerseys which works for them. 

hwvLT1C.png

•  Home - Away:    
    • Jerseys /Socks - Scrapping everything from above, I went with an offset stripe which the football team has used in the past, and I thought looked good here. White jersey has a navy yoke, the Maverick logo on the shoulders, interlocked MV on the chest. Socks match their jerseys. 
    • Equipment - Navy pants and gloves. Pants have a simple green stripe on the legs that end in a horn on the sides of the pants. Gloves have a white cuff and green fingers. I don't 100% percent remember my rationale for the white helmets, but I liked the way it looked and stuck with it. 
  • Alternate:
    • Jersey/Socks - A completely different take from the home and away jerseys, based pretty much on the school's baseball uniforms. Gone is the offset stripe, replaced by a navy and white triple stripe. The logos go away for a script Mtn View. Socks match. 

C&C appreciated!

Mountain View is the school that I know the most about, for a number of reasons. Before I get into the design part, the school is only at about 2600 students as of last year, not 3500, but it still is a ton of kids and there has been rumors of another school being built on the south side of Meridian, but the school district has not even been able to find land for the potential school, much less build it. 

The logo that is used as the primary currently throughout the schools athletics is somewhat like the Houston Texans as you mentioned, but unlike Eagle, there is  a difference. Rumor has it that when the school was built in 2002 or so, the Texans were new into the NFL, so the logo was loosely based off of it. I personally like the MVHS version better but that is neither here nor there. The interlocking MV logo has really only been used by the baseball team and occasionally by the football team on helmets . The baseball teams has used it as their primary logo for as long as I can remember, so at least for the last ten or so years. It is a logo that does seem underutilized, but that is a decision that is above my pay grade. I am also not sure I have seen the Nebraska-Omaha logo being used before,  but it could be something I just haven’t noticed.

The school as a whole has been pretty good at sticking with the kelly green, except for the football team which has a set of neon Seahawks style uniforms that they trot out every year for the homecoming game. They should remain in whatever storage closet they come out of, as it almost looks like they glow? They also come with reflective numbers, not unlike the ones Boise State uses.

I do think this uniform set fits with the school’s other uniforms very well, and would look great on ice, or off. Script is something all teams should  implement, if used correctly, more often than they do, and it looks great with the triple stripe.

On 5/6/2023 at 10:37 AM, colinturner95 said:

Capital High School is the 3rd of the 4 BSD public high schools, being built in 1965 to serve more of North Boise. I used to drive by it every day going to work and I have to say that I'm pretty sure the exterior façade of the building hasn't been updated since day 1.

This is a 100% true statement and I don’t understand how the school feels that old, with not actually being that old. They seem to have gotten a new gym in the past 10ish years maybe, and it is one of the bigger ones in the valley, but beyond that the school as a whole is just old.

On 5/9/2023 at 12:19 PM, colinturner95 said:

Capital High School (Boise, ID) Varsity Football

As I typed this out, I found this! This was taken in 2022 so apparently it's still an on going practice, but I definitely exaggerated it. It looks like it could be a captains thing, but one of the team captains is in the more common gold helmet, so I'm not sure. Capital's JV team also wears gold helmets so it's not a case of a JV call-up. 

I remember going to a football game that Capital played last year and there was no rhyme or reason to the helmet colors, except that there was more black helmets than gold. It just seemed to be random, which is something that I have never seen before, and agree that it might not be totally legal but they seem to be doing it with no issue.

With that said I think all of the other schools look great, and could most certainly take some design cues from this series. I especially think that the sets you made for Moscow, Post Falls and Mountain Home are really good and fit their schools well. Excited to see where the rest of this series leads!