MLB Tweaks by TheMilkman (NL WEST ADDED JUNE 5, 23)

TheMilkman

Really like everything. Only CC is that ChiSox's home alts are hard to read. Maybe make the pinstripes grey? Twins are looking sharp but yellow might be a bit too traumatic for twins fans as they only just dropped gold. Not a huge fan of Pirates and Rays, but that might just be me. 

The LAS VEGAS Athletics. Really hope they dont go crazy and change team colors when they move. As long as they don’t, this is what I hope they look like in Vegas.

CD7AC36B-8349-4C31-A75B-ABECB4DE3B28

I don’t imagine they’ll make big changes but you never know these days. My changes just bring back the brighter green and yellow scheme. Las Vegas actually looks pretty good scripted across the chest imo. 

• Like 4

On 4/17/2023 at 6:51 PM, GALESBASEBALL said:

Really like everything. Only CC is that ChiSox's home alts are hard to read. Maybe make the pinstripes grey? Twins are looking sharp but yellow might be a bit too traumatic for twins fans as they only just dropped gold. Not a huge fan of Pirates and Rays, but that might just be me. 

Thanks for your comment! The White Sox home alts actually already have grey pinstripes, just might not read that way. 🤷‍♂️

I’ll be taking another shot at the Rays in the future, too!

• TheMilkman changed the title to MLB Tweaks by TheMilkman (LAS VEGAS A’s 04/23/23)
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/23/2023 at 7:35 PM, TheMilkman said:

The LAS VEGAS Athletics. Really hope they dont go crazy and change team colors when they move. As long as they don’t, this is what I hope they look like in Vegas.

CD7AC36B-8349-4C31-A75B-ABECB4DE3B28

I don’t imagine they’ll make big changes but you never know these days. My changes just bring back the brighter green and yellow scheme. Las Vegas actually looks pretty good scripted across the chest imo. 

I kinda hope they bring back the black jerseys. Would look nice with the kelly green instead of forest green and provides more contrast, especially mixed with yellow. Could also give it a Vegas neon lights look (if done well, unlike Miami's black jersey - same idea though). Really dig these Vegas A's concepts.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been busy creating (but not posting…sorry) more concepts, and I have the whole NL done now. Haven’t started with the AL yet but have some ideas. For now though let’s start with a dump of the NL West!

Los Angeles Dodgers

No huge changes besides the disappearance of the LA sleeve patch, the full-time addition of their spring training alternate blue top, and a new alternate uniform (for either home or road games). The alternate navy uniform features a design similar to their old, old, old baby blue satin uniforms. The navy comes from their current city connect. So again, no big changes!

72951FB1-47A6-4669-904E-CEE2434B72E3

San Diego Padres

Really considered an orange/brown combo but with the Giants also in the West and having claim to orange, I kept with yellow. The brown is lightened from their current shade, and the home and away uniform base colors are an off white and a “sand” color. 

Back when they were a navy team, I loved their double piping throughout their uniforms so both alternate looks feature that same style.

9FDD2FB6-E10E-4B99-A246-C514A9D00D08

Colorado Rockies

Here’s where things get a little different. Let’s take the Rockies city connect green and turn it into their full time primary color. I really wanted to focus on making the Rockies a dark team, as you’ll see through the NL that most teams are brightened up.

The pinstripes are back and here to stay and they never should’ve left. I may be in the minority but I love pinstripes on road greys, especially on these road greys that have a greenish tint to them. So far, these are one of my favorite adjustments I’ve made as the green and black separates the Rockies from other teams in the league.

F3D50697-D555-4021-A580-2CE4DF208383

Arizona Diamondbacks

The D-Backs are purple again (hence why the Rockies are no longer) but they’re also teal. Went a whole different direction in my design process with Arizona as I thought they’d be the perfect team to mix and match elements with. So, their home uniform is primarily purple, their road is teal, then their home alt is teal, away alt is purple, but what if that purple alt top is worn on the white home pants with the teal home hat? Endless possibilities really. 

The biggest achievement is just getting rid of red, a way overused color in the MLB. Avoiding a boring grey road look in favor of a brown/sand look is a big upgrade too. Really wanna know what you all think of the idea of mixing and matching though!

73F4FF1F-BEE8-4913-B7D8-1AB294534FB6

San Francisco Giants

Well, we’re back to normalcy and the Giants get no big changes. For some reason the piping on their current road uniforms doesn’t match - the black-orange-black piping on the sleves but a single black placket stripe just drives me crazy. I fixed that here by just keeping it consistent with their home cream uniform’s piping. 

I think they can pull off that orange top (not sure how that works bc the Mets orange concept I had was terrible so idk). 

371C3D27-3DE7-4C7B-BC5E-D1F03D6A7B7B

There’s the NL West! I’ll add the Central soon! I’ve redesigned them a bit since my last Central post on this thread. Let me know what you think of these concepts! Thanks!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheMilkman said:

There’s the NL West! I’ll add the Central soon! I’ve redesigned them a bit since my last Central post on this thread. Let me know what you think of these concepts! Thanks!

The Dodgers and Padres look fine, as do the Giants, though the socks with the three orange stripes are missed.

Going back to purple and turquoise is a good move for the Diamondbacks, and making the road uniform sand is pretty cool. The D-Backs script still sucks though and the A would look a hell of a lot better on the home and home alternate, as would using the cuff pattern on the original alternate jerseys.

Not a fan of the green for Colorado, the purple was chosen due to a line in America the Beautiful, and the uniforms here look too drab with the black and the unsaturated green. The purple should have been kept, and don't worry about two teams in one division using purple - the teal and copper, as well as the cream and sand should keep the Diamondbacks looking distinct from the Rockies.

• TheMilkman changed the title to MLB Tweaks by TheMilkman (NL WEST ADDED JUNE 5, 23)

Good to see you back! I love this new presentation for your concepts and think you should definitely stick with it. 

Dodgers - Great work all around. That navy alt blows the team’s City Connect set out of the water.

Padres - More nice work. Perhaps you could make either the home or home alt plain white instead of cream as a way to make the two home options even more different from one another. 

Giants - Solid set, no complaints here. 

D-Backs - Not sure how I feel about the green-dominant look for the road and home alt, but I think this could be balanced out by going with purple socks and under-sleeves. The purple wordmark on the green alt is extremely hard to read, too. I also agree with @VampyrRabbit that it’s a shame you didn’t use the classic “A” logo on at least one of the four jerseys. 

Rockies - Not really feeling this one, unfortunately. It’s hard to picture the Rox in anything but purple, and the colors you chose are all too muted to work together. I do love that repurposed City Connect logo, though, and I’m wondering if you could work some of that beautiful sky blue into the uniforms themselves.

Regarding having two purple teams in the same division, my personal solution to that was to shift from purple to magenta for the D-Backs, which I did in my Fixing '90s Expansion Teams mini-series. This way, you could have two "purple" teams in the same division without having them both look identical to one another. 

Looking forward to the NL Central! 

On 4/23/2023 at 8:41 PM, TheMilkman said:

I’ll be taking another shot at the Rays in the future, too!

I'd love to see your take on the Rays if the columbia blue was primary with navy blue secondary and touches of yellow.