“Springfield Ozarks - Can anyone verify this story?

spacer.png

was looking into nba teams that never were for a possible design project. on a reddit thread of failed nba expansion attempts, i found this. can’t find further info. i am aware of the high probability that this is a lie or basically fanfiction, but in the off chance that there’s some truth behind it, i can’t think of any better place to go than here.

2 hours ago, PowderedWater said:

spacer.png

was looking into nba teams that never were for a possible design project. on a reddit thread of failed nba expansion attempts, i found this. can’t find further info. i am aware of the high probability that this is a lie or basically fanfiction, but in the off chance that there’s some truth behind it, i can’t think of any better place to go than here.

I grew up in the Springfield area (moved there in 1990, moved away 2009), and I have literally never heard of this at all. Guessing it's either someone's attempt at messing with people, or is some fan-fiction thread that someone outside took as serious history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McCall said:

I grew up in the Springfield area (moved there in 1990, moved away 2009), and I have literally never heard of this at all. Guessing it's either someone's attempt at messing with people, or is some fan-fiction thread that someone outside took as serious history.

well, thanks for the first-hand info, i figured there was a good chance it was all someone’s fantasy.

On 7/4/2023 at 10:18 AM, PowderedWater said:

spacer.png

Definitely a lie or fanfiction.

" I remember when the Dallas Mavericks were granted a franchise there were a few other cities in the running". 

No, there weren't.  The expansion announced by Larry O'Brien in 1979 was Dallas and Minneapolis, but the Minny owner backed out, leaving just Dallas (this was 1979, after all, when 18 of the 22 NBA franchises lost money). 

"This was when the Kings were not getting a lot of support and the Hawks had departed St. Louis"

Yeah, the Hawks departed St. Louis -- over a decade prior in 1968. 

🙄

• Applause 1

It is what it is.