Kansas City Football Royals (2.0 Version Added) + Football Royals (ex-Dallas Texans) 2.0 Added

maxwasson

Recently, I've read through UniWatch's "What if the AFL Never Existed" series and I was inspired to do a concept based on that series. Without further ado, let's begin the concept thread

BACKGROUND

The year is 1959, Dallas native Lamar Hunt desires a professional football team in his home city, his request to move the Chicago Cardinals to Dallas in 1959 is rejected, but the NFL instead grants him an expansion franchise which he would name the Dallas Texans (which I've done a concept on over here) and they would begin play for the 1962 season, the Cardinals would end up moving to St. Louis just like in our universe, but in this alternate reality the Cardinals stay in St. Louis which means that the Cardinals don't ever move to Phoenix and the Rams never have a stint in St. Louis and are forever LA's team, as for Phoenix they eventually get an "expansion team" in the Phoenix Firebirds who's franchise gets started in the World Football League that merges with the NFL before the 1980 season, and because the Texans stay in Dallas and never move to Kansas City, that means there's no Dallas Cowboys around. So that how does Kansas City get a team? Well, the NFL decides to expand into the Kansas City and Denver markets in 1975, and Kansas City's expansion franchise would be owned by the Kauffman family who already owned the Royals baseball franchise at the time, so the Kauffman's decide to synchronize the Royals between their baseball and football franchises, and thus the Kansas City Football Royals were founded.

BRANDING

E2zXbok.png

And here are the primary and a couple of the main wordmarks/insignias for the football Royals, the logo and insignia were part of a modified Fiverr commission, I assembled the wordmarks and the font used was Valerius Expanded

XCeYeW4.png

XiacWNH.png

I created so many extra wordmarks and insignias that they had to be on separate slides

FIELD AND UNIFORMS

hQYJclT.png

The Royals would play their home games at GEHA Field which is most the recent sponsor to own the naming rights to the football Royals stadium which in this universe, looks like Arrowhead but with blue seats and never once having the name "Arrowhead".

ROYALS FOOTBALL STADIUM NAMING RIGHTS HISTORY

• Royals Field (1975-1977)
  • IBM Field (1978-1987)
  • Pizza Hut Field (1988-1996)
  • Nextel Field (1997-2004)
  • Sprint Field (2005-2008)
  • Verizon Field (2009-2019)
  • GEHA Field (2020-Present)

The uniform set has 7 total uniforms, with the Powder Blue, Gold, and Black being a tribute to the baseball Royals' powder blue alternates, the Royals turn ahead the clock uniforms in the 90s, and the black alternates in the 2000s.

UPDATE: As per request of @MJWalker45 I have changed the jersey numbers from Valerius Expanded to a more legible font in Superstar M54.

5QUnaMK.png

And here are a couple of extra fields, that were designed these include home fields with gold, powder blue, and black endzones, plus a Super Bowl field. 

I had a lot of fun designing this and with all these new alternate history concepts being on the front page, I thought it would be a good idea to strike while the iron was hot and drop this one. Comments and critique are welcome as always!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

QNXVyki.png

The only thing I don't like about it is the "sleeve" striping.  I am assuming since this franchise started in 1975, that they had a uniform that had sleeves when they began play...and so through time, they just moved all the way up the tiny patch of real estate around the armhole on modern uniforms.  These stripes on modern football uniforms are big pet peeve or mine.  Otherwise it's a pretty good look.

I've always thought in some alternate universe like this where KC didn't get the Texans moving from Dallas....it would be fun to do a "Comets" NFL look.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

The only thing I don't like about it is the "sleeve" striping.  I am assuming since this franchise started in 1975, that they had a uniform that had sleeves when they began play...and so through time, they just moved all the way up the tiny patch of real estate around the armhole on modern uniforms.  These stripes on modern football uniforms are big pet peeve or mine.  Otherwise it's a pretty good look.

I've always thought in some alternate universe like this where KC didn't get the Texans moving from Dallas....it would be fun to do a "Comets" NFL look.

Hmm, interesting I'll have to consider that name, I've also pondered do a reviving of Kansas City's first NFL franchise, the Kansas City Blues/Cowboys in the 1920s, and a do have a part 2 of this concept coming soon set in a slightly different alternate universe.

• Like 1

QNXVyki.png

And now for part 2 of this concept, where we set ourselves in alternate universe where the AFL does exist and Lamar Hunt is looking to move the Dallas Texans to Kansas City after the 1962 AFL season, one of the names considered for Hunt's franchise in Kansas City before settling on "Chiefs" was "Royals", which would've predated the Kauffman-owned MLB expansion franchise by 7 years. In this alternate timeline, Lamar Hunt picks the name "Royals" over Mules, Chiefs, or Stars.  As for baseball in Kansas City, either the Athletics stay in town and don't ever leave for Oakland or the A's still do leave but the Kauffman-owned MLB expansion franchise picks Cowboys, Blues, or Monarchs instead for baseball. 

BRANDING

lP0AGIX.png

I decided to go with a purple and gold color scheme to differentiate from the Kauffman Royals, and the insignias are borrowed from my Kansas City Chiefs redesign concept linked

earlier.

Y4ODUBW.png

Because the color scheme on this concept is a little bit smaller, I was able to fit both extra wordmarks and insignias on one slide this time around.

FIELD AND UNIFORMS

TlHxTXX.png

Here is the Lamar Hunt-owned Royals home field, plus a full uniform set with purple, gold, and black alternates and a Dallas Texans fauxback uniform carried over from my Texans concept and all the uniforms have the iconic Lamar Hunt commemorative AFL patch. 

cUjK5ed.png

And some extra home fields with gold and black endzones, plus recent Super Bowl fields with the purple Royals endzones. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

QNXVyki.png

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice job on the KC logos and unis !!

• Like 1

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to return to this thread specifically for a bonus concept I put together this morning after finished up my football Blues concept in the "Into the 816-Verse" series, this is the original concept of this thread but with the insignia changed to something that resembles the UniWatch football Royals design (which is just the baseball Royals' City Connect logo), the insignia is reused from my Blues (NFL) concept, and the font used for the insignias was Retrolight.

BRANDING

NpAD2fA.png

For the new insignia logos, I decided to not make versions of the insignias with colored outlines because I thought they didn't look too good on my Blues concept, so I opted to just a make bunch of multicolor insignia designs, which you'll see on the next slide.

EXTRA INSIGNIAS

Kp98pc5.png

FIELD AND UNIFORMS

uvrMZ5q.png

Not much changes were needed to be made to the field and uniforms besides the obvious logo change

EXTRA FIELDS

YWdzckY.png

For the "Extra Fields" section I assembled a Super Bowl LIV and LV field that weren't in the original concept, but I put them in anyway.

• Love 1

QNXVyki.png

• maxwasson changed the title to Kansas City Football Royals - Alternate Design Added
  • 5 months later...

After several months, I decided that my previous football Royals concept needed a logo change, I was able to get a logo redesign from a different Fiverr artist, and I liked the end result. 

BRANDING

spacer.png

Presenting the Football Royals 2.0!, With a new shield and crown design and an insignia logo that covers the whole shield.

EXTRA INSIGNIAS

spacer.png

And here is the new insignia quilt with a brand new one, that the artist provided me

FIELD AND UNIFORMS

spacer.png

Not much has changed with the home field and uniform sets, besides the brand new logo

EXTRA FIELDS

Royals-Extra-Fields.png

And here are the extra fields, with 3 home fields that have gold, powder blue, and black endzones. Plus 4 Super Bowl fields based on Western Conference vs. Eastern Conference matchups in UniWatch's AFL-less alternate timeline.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

QNXVyki.png

• maxwasson changed the title to Kansas City Football Royals (2.0 Version Added)

That crown looks an awful lot like the Sacramento Kings, though the team did play in KC before moving to the Californian capital.

I think there are too many uniforms, considering the amount of games played 3 should be the most and like the Baseball Royals, the use of black feels very BFBS and you could stand to lose that uniform and the all gold.

1 hour ago, VampyrRabbit said:

That crown looks an awful lot like the Sacramento Kings, though the team did play in KC before moving to the Californian capital.

I think there are too many uniforms, considering the amount of games played 3 should be the most and like the Baseball Royals, the use of black feels very BFBS and you could stand to lose that uniform and the all gold.

Yeah most NFL teams do have 3 at max, but I do recall the Los Angeles Chargers having a big uniform set. 

QNXVyki.png

2 minutes ago, FrutigerAero said:

The use of Royal and the tan reminds me of the 1999-2001 BYU Cougarsspacer.png

Interesting comparison, from here BYU uniform's look a bit more navy than the Football Royals

QNXVyki.png

11 minutes ago, maxwasson said:

Interesting comparison, from here BYU uniform's look a bit more navy than the Football Royals

It is navy, BYU claimed it was "dark royal" however (their traditional color had been royal).  It was mostly the generous use of tan that made me think of that.  Your uniforms are like an alternative universe BYU where nike has them keep royal but integrates the then-in-vogue tan.  Much better than BYU's actual look back then.

I'd also love to see the KC baseball Royals integrate more tan.

• Like 1

And now for an updated version of the Lamar Hunt-owned Kansas City Football Royals!

BRANDING

Royals-Branding.png

The Hunt-owned Football Royals have a "royal purple" as the main color as to differentiate it from the baseball Royals

EXTRA INSIGNIAS

Royals-Extra-Insignia-Logos.png

And here is the quilt of insignia logos, it's not as big as the original concept because there's less colors in the color scheme, but it's still there

FIELD AND UNIFORMS

Royals-Field-and-Uniforms.png

The Hunt-owned football Royals uniform set features the iconic AFL commemorative patch on each jersey and a Dallas Texans fauxback uniform.

EXTRA FIELDS

Royals-Extra-Fields.png

Here are the extra fields, with 2 home fields that have gold and black endzones, plus Super Bowl fields that reflect the real-life Super Bowl matchups the Chiefs have appeared in since Since Super Bowl LIV.

• Love 1

QNXVyki.png

• maxwasson changed the title to Kansas City Football Royals (2.0 Version Added) + Football Royals (ex-Dallas Texans) 2.0 Added