Airline Football Uniform Concepts - The New Spirit of Africa

edjb93

SWISS INTERNATIONAL AIR LINES

Swiss has one of the most straightforward liveries among the world's airlines, as its primary design element is the cross from Switzerland's flag. That alone is sufficient enough for Swiss' home and road uniform concepts. Imagine a football version of the Detroit Red Wings' uniforms, but with white pants.

For the alternate uniform, it's just right to pay tribute to Swissair, and I went with the defunct carrier's second-to-last livery due to the black cheatlines that separated the white and bare-metal halves of the fuselage's paint job.

PJ7Xtm6.png

BEuraYy.png

fnvo6aK.png

• Like 2

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - SWISS: Our Sign Is A Promise

CEBU PACIFIC

The first low-cost carrier in this series, Cebu Pacific stands out for its vibrant livery, as well as the one that preceded it. I can still recall my not-so-great experience with this airline, but I'll leave it up to that.

Anyway, yellow is the primary color for both home and road uniforms, with lots of streaks and curves applied from top to bottom. I planned to have yellow and white socks, but for the sake of color balance, I went with blue socks. Think of it in the same situation as the Los Angeles Chargers.

For the throwback, I decided against an all-white uniform as a tribute to Cebu Pacific's original livery, since the first two uniforms already have a fair share of white. I went with blue jerseys and blue socks instead, to complement the white helmet and white pants. This is, in part, due to a former special livery with a Manila vibe.

vJXwP5r.png

FQRFLnl.png

VTfHO73.png

• Like 2

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Cebu Pacific: Let's Fly Every Juan
16 hours ago, edjb93 said:

CEBU PACIFIC

This is unfortunately a no from me dawg

I do not consider yellow as a suitable color for a "dark" jersey

It belongs with the likes of white, cream and light gray as those that should remain as a "light" (or in a football context, "away") jersey

• Like 1

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

5 hours ago, FCMacbeth said:

Oh, I can smell AirAsia down the horizon. Well, the Malaysia one that is.

You just read my mind! I'll be handling AirAsia next, even before the result of the AirAsia X reorganization comes. I just realized that today.

38 minutes ago, Bomba Tomba said:

This is unfortunately a no from me dawg

I do not consider yellow as a suitable color for a "dark" jersey

It belongs with the likes of white, cream and light gray as those that should remain as a "light" (or in a football context, "away") jersey

I understand your sentiment and I agree that yellow should be a "road" color for American football if there's no white jersey, but I'm basing the colors primarily from an airline's current livery. It just so happened that Cebu Pacific's paint job heavily uses yellow and white. Also, I considered the fact that the airline's flight attendants wear yellow polo shirts.

Well, that could be their way to force their opponents into wearing dark jerseys on the road for maximum contrast

Them in yellow vs. their in country rivals PAL in blue would look sick

Same with yellow vs. Thai's purple

Or yellow vs. Swiss red

• Like 1

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

4 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

Well, that could be their way to force their opponents into wearing dark jerseys on the road for maximum contrast

Them in yellow vs. their in country rivals PAL in blue would look sick

Same with yellow vs. Thai's purple

Or yellow vs. Swiss red

I love that idea. 😉

AIRASIA

This is a request by @FCMacbeth, along with Malaysia Airlines—which I already made. Before the whole AirAsia X deal is fully implemented, this is the perfect time to do an AirAsia concept, and since the airline has many subsidiaries across Asia—my home country Philippines included—I'll focus on the main brand from Malaysia.

For the home and road uniforms, I went with a New York Jets-styled design but "in steroids", because I based it from the airline's livery since 2012. You might wonder why I implied "in steroids". That's because the shoulder striping is enlarged, and the same jersey design can be found on the hem of the pants.

The alternate uniform takes us back to the 1990s, when AirAsia was a full-service airline owned by the Malaysian government. Before red took over, blue was the primary color used by the airline, and its corresponding livery back then did not scream "low-cost airline".

ukh2iC2.png

biEM4kc.png

YvVnl84.png

• Like 1

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Now Everyone Can Fly
22 hours ago, edjb93 said:

AIRASIA

This is a request by @FCMacbeth, along with Malaysia Airlines—which I already made. Before the whole AirAsia X deal is fully implemented, this is the perfect time to do an AirAsia concept, and since the airline has many subsidiaries across Asia—my home country Philippines included—I'll focus on the main brand from Malaysia.

For the home and road uniforms, I went with a New York Jets-styled design but "in steroids", because I based it from the airline's livery since 2012. You might wonder why I implied "in steroids". That's because the shoulder striping is enlarged, and the same jersey design can be found on the hem of the pants.

The alternate uniform takes us back to the 1990s, when AirAsia was a full-service airline owned by the Malaysian government. Before red took over, blue was the primary color used by the airline, and its corresponding livery back then did not scream "low-cost airline".

ukh2iC2.png

biEM4kc.png

YvVnl84.png

Yup, I predicted that it would come eventually as soon as you reached the low-budget airline section.

Though, I might ask just how different is it from AirAsia MY to AirAsia Phillippines.

3 hours ago, FCMacbeth said:

Yup, I predicted that it would come eventually as soon as you reached the low-budget airline section.

Though, I might ask just how different is it from AirAsia MY to AirAsia Phillippines.

I think that there's nothing different when it comes to service. So far, I had only one round-trip experience with PH AirAsia, and it's quite good.

I'll most likely go back to doing concepts for full-service carriers after this pair of LCCs, then it will take a while to tackle more of them. I haven't even covered any airline from Africa or South America, so stay tuned for the next ones! 😉

TURKISH AIRLINES

Despite having a new logo (not really new because the font for wordmark is the only significant change) since 2018, Turkish Airlines still uses the 2010 livery. In this series, though, I used both of them for the uniforms. Logos aside, the tulip alone is a nice touch. Both white and grey pants can be used on either red or white jerseys, similar to what I did with my United Airlines concept. For the sake of color balance, I used black for the numbers, NOB, and the airline's script logo.

The "pyjama" livery takes flight through the retro alternate uniform. For this one, the Turkish translation of the airline's name is featured on the front of the jersey, with the English version being used at the back bumper of the helmet.

RoMq7x8.png

bDp2gYd.png

xrBJ7n0.png

• Like 1

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Widen Your World

AEROMÉXICO

The home and road uniforms here are based from the current livery, which features a touch of light blue that's prominent on the airline's regional brand. Both the shoulder yoke and the hem on the pants are in a contrasting color for each uniform variant to mimic the color separation between the tail and the entire fuselage.

Before navy blue and red, orange was the main color of Aeroméxico, and the color choice really screams the vibrancy of the 70s. For the retro alternate, I merged the two livery designs during the orange era: the one with a detailed Aztec logo and thinner cheatlines, and the other with thicker cheatlines. The striping on the pants and the sleeves were taken from a particular ticket jacket from the same era. On top of all of these, both the jersey and the pants are colored grey to mimic the bare metal fuselage utilized by the airline for a long time.

3QkMx4V.png

dBUuePE.png

GfPtDmn.png

• Like 4

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Mexico's Global Airline
14 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

Flying Elvis' Mexican cousin?

More like an ancestor, since Flying Elvis came into existence in 1994, while the Aztec head logo, which has multiple iterations, was unveiled earlier.

IBERIA

From one Spanish-speaking country to another, we proceed to Iberia, in which the logo design itself is used as the striping all over the home and road uniforms. It's another straightforward concept since the livery that comes with the current logo is also such. I chose mono-color combos as the primary uniform combinations, but these can be interchanged as they please.

However, the current livery's predecessor is anything but, as I can compare it to the Saul Bass-designed United Airlines livery. It's unbelievable that Iberia's old livery lasted until 2013. Anyway, the striping extends all the way to the front of the jersey, with the iconic curvature being applied as well, instead of just having straight lines. On the pants, "Lineas Aereas de España" is located inside the red portion of the striping.

wb6H0ZG.png

QCtXtRN.png

340W7Hc.png

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - En Iberia Nos Movemos Contigo

OMAN AIR

Oneworld's newest member airline is doing its best to become one of the Middle East's best, just by looking at its current livery. Though the design features lots of curves, I went with a traditional straight line striping for the home and road uniforms, as it provided a great opportunity for me to take advantage of the striping pattern being translated onto a football uniform.

Talking about the airline's old livery, I immediately thought that a New York Jets-esque uniform will suit. And so I did just that, making a white-on-white retro uniform with red helmet and socks.

0QRV3bP.png

AJeKQdi.png

6hKF3uG.png

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Oman Air: Modern Vision, Timeless Traditions

I've run into some issues logging into this forum the past few months, but I've definitely been lurking this series as a guest this whole time! I was always interested in airline liveries since I was a kid, and I'd say it was one of my gateways into graphic design.

This has been such an awesome series to follow so far! Lots of attention to detail on these, and it's amazing to see what you're able to pull off on Paint. Your links have also been nice to refresh myself on the world of past and present airline liveries.

Here are some of my favorites from you:

• Asiana Airlines (RIP, almost) has an awesome balance of color, and the tail design is large enough to make for a very vibrant helmet
  • American Airlines is a very strong and American look!
  • Excellent job with Qatar Airways! Their color scheme is already something cool to start with, and you made their uniforms simple and classy
  • Thai, China Airlines, and Vietnam Airlines are just simple and  beautiful, well done!
  • Air New Zealand and Air Canada are very bold!
  • I'd argue that the eagle in Gulf Air may be too muted, but the uniforms all balance out for a very classy look
  • For an airline I've barely heard of, Starlux is very nice and futuristic!

Some suggestions:

• Would it look better if the widget for the Delta Air Lines helmets extended further down the helmet instead of ending abruptly where it is? In other words, extending the widget down some more
  • I think the Emirates helmet would look stronger if the UAE flag was bigger and bolder like your British Airways helmet
  • For Japan Airlines, I'm curious what a top-circle helmet would look to match their top-tier 2002-2011 livery (RIP)?

Great job on these, kabayan! :) 

• Love 1

ROYAL AIR MAROC

Here we have the first entry from Africa in this series, and its current livery looks visually striking, compared to the ones that preceded it. I applied that very same theme, specifically on the shoulders and the ends of the pants.

The throwback uniform is very straightforward, but the "RAM" tail logo applied on the helmet is the star (no pun intended) of the show.

OgzBlkz.png

yw7bICF.png

Te7gvMB.png

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - #DreamAfrica #MeetMorocco

SCANDINAVIAN AIRLINES

SAS has looked even more simpler with its current livery—an evolution of the 1998 look. With that in mind, I also gave the home and road uniforms a simple look. To add a little bit of color, the minimalist banner made from the flags of Norway, Sweden, and Denmark is applied on the front of the jersey and the pants' side panels.

Instead of white, I instead used an extra-light shade of silver to be the road uniform color, with the SAS wordmark colored in a darker tone to mimic its application on the fuselage. On a blue background, however, the wordmark is colored in white. Both home and road jerseys feature blue sleeves to make it reminiscent of the paint job on the aircraft's empennage. On the back of the jersey, the airline's original emblem is added.

As a tribute to its founding membership in the Star Alliance, I went with the airline's livery from much of the 80s until 1998. During my childhood, this looks is what reminds me more about SAS. I initially wanted to apply the stripes on the helmet, below the SAS logo, but I thought it would be overkill, so I limited the stripes to the rest of the uniform except the helmet.

fO0aXaN.png

hCfmKcy.png

mygi9Lv.png

• Like 2
  • Love 2