Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Hawaii's Hometown Carrier

edjb93

SHANGHAI AIRLINES

Even if it's under China Eastern, Shanghai Airlines still maintains it distinct look. The curves found on the livery are inspired by the crane that has been the airline's identifier from the beginning. This design pattern extends from the sleeves to the front of the jersey, while on the pants, it extends all the way to the back. Since the belly of the airline's current paint job is in grey, it's just right to have only one option for the pants.

It's quite difficult to find high-quality images of the airline's earliest livery, and the one I found is one of the best I can find. This retro livery doesn't get any simpler than that, so I decided to give the throwback uniform a Penn State treatment. The striping on the pants and the helmet are slightly wider compared to the one used by the Nittany Lions, then I colored the collar and the sleeve cuffs white, just like how Penn State football looked like in the 2000s.

ZeJCMrH.png

zduTOTs.png

2aCElrX.png

• Like 4

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Royal Air Maroc, SAS, Shanghai Airlines
On 4/11/2024 at 9:18 AM, edjb93 said:

Thanks for the appreciation, @TheGiantsFan! I'll look onto your suggestions later on and think about those.

I have decided to retain what I have for Emirates, Delta, and JAL, after testing out larger helmet decals. I don't even wanna make the decals outrageously large like what's done for MOST college football teams nowadays... 😅

Regardless though, thanks for all the comments in this series so far. I fully appreciate it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, edjb93 said:

I have decided to retain what I have for Emirates, Delta, and JAL, after testing out larger helmet decals. I don't even wanna make the decals outrageously large like what's done for MOST college football teams nowadays... 😅

Regardless though, thanks for all the comments in this series so far. I fully appreciate it.

No worries, I appreciate that you made some attempts though! :)

• Like 1

AIR CHINA

Honestly, I had some difficulty in designing a set for Air China, despite its simplistic livery that was inherited from its predecessor CAAC Airlines. Thus, I went with a straightforward approach by using the exact livery design from top to bottom.

White is my color choice for the primary uniform, with the blue one being designated as the clash jersey. Both are paired with grey pants to mimic the belly color of Air China's fleet. There's a specific reason why I chose red to be the number color, and that is to simulate what's on the empennage, where the airline logo is the only red element on the livery, aside from the Chinese flag.

Since the airline is China's flag carrier, I had to make an alternate uniform that really speaks of the Chinese culture. With that, the alternate uniform draws inspiration from the Red Phoenix livery, which relies heavily on red and gold. Except for the white helmet, this uniform is all-red from top to bottom. And if you look closer, the shade of red that's used on the helmet decals is darker in contrast to the usual red from the regular uniforms.

7GMAcg8.png

NUQLVlN.png

4Os8VmY.png

• Like 4

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Air China: Land Your Dream

ROYAL BRUNEI AIRLINES

While I know the airline has done it for modernization purposes, I don't consider myself a fan of Royal Brunei's current look, considering how it looked like immediately before. But yeah, that wasn't a hurdle for me when I created the home and road uniform concepts for the airline.

The overall design revolves around the yellow parallelogram on the logo. From afar, it seems that both home and road uniforms look plain, but that's what I aimed for, especially with the simplistic overall look of Royal Brunei—white stripe on a yellow background, black stripe on a dark brown background (maybe anthracite or dark grey—you name it). The yellow jersey is designated as the primary (since it has been the traditional color choice of Brunei's national football team kits), while the dark brown/anthracite/dark grey one becomes the clash jersey.

Of course, with what I said earlier, I've shown some love on the previous livery, so I made it as my retro alternate uniform for the airline.

Cbih951.png

45FW5g4.png

uncwTad.png

• Love 1

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Royal Brunei Airlines: Giving The World Asia's Best

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES

Ever since looking upon Southwest Airlines, I've been quite fascinated by its unique livery history. Fast forward to the current livery, Southwest's look never disappoints. Because of that, I applied the tricolor pattern from the "Heart" logo on the helmet, the sleeves, and the socks. While both jersey and pants colors are interchangeable, all-blue is the primary home uniform combination and all-white is the primary road combo.

Since the first two uniforms are already in "Canyon Blue" (which has been in use since 2001), it's just natural that the retro uniform pays tribute to Southwest's original "Desert Gold" livery. The helmet features the iconic diagonal orientation of the wordmark and its respective striping. Numbers all over the jersey receive the vintage shadow treatment, and red is what I chose for the color of the pants, due to the red belly on the airline's first-ever livery.

V5AzuBo.png

1bfbf3k.png

laCqwBq.png

• Like 2
  • Love 3

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - That's TransFAREncy

SPIRIT AIRLINES

The "school bus of a plane" really knows how to get attention, and my uniform concepts for Spirit Airlines do the same thing, perhaps. When I implied at the beginning that there will be some airlines which will get the primary-clash-alternate designation, I was not thinking then about three SEPARATE designs from the helmet all the way to the socks (well, I actually thought about that for my Thai Airways concept, but I then abandoned that idea). However, for a distinct airline like Spirit, this is the full exhaustion of the unofficial rule I just mentioned.

Starting off, we have the all-yellow uniform with touches of black. Actually, I just learned recently that Spirit tweaked its current livery where all logos no longer have the scratch pattern. By the way, that same scratch pattern is applied on the sleeves and the pant striping, so that this won't be just another all-yellow uniform.

The clash uniform tackles the much "tamer" livery—Eurowhite with significant usage of blue. I specifically applied the livery's empennage design to the shoulders, and I went with blue pants and white socks this time, to add more color to what's essentially a road uniform.

Finally, we have the livery that I mostly like, the grayscale pixel livery. I also recently realized that this is a later variant of the original pixel livery, which uses blue. The former is the basis of my alternate uniform for Spirit, as it looks more professional.

aKgOchG.png

ttQQbyH.png

bho8LPF.png

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Less Money, More Go

ETHIOPIAN AIRLINES

Okay, back to another full-service carrier, and this time, it's Africa's largest airline! Ethiopian's livery is yet another simple one, as it only consists of several wordmarks and the logo—a big thanks to the firm responsible for simplifying Ethiopian's logo into what it is today. Since that's the case, I resorted to the cloth pattern found on the airline's Economy Class seats, applying it on the sleeves and the pants' side panels. Speaking of the latter, Ethiopian's name in Amharic is also applied there.

Now, you might have noticed the usage of green on the dark jersey and red on the socks. Well, that's because it's the home color combo of Ethiopia's football team. I could've used yellow on the pants, but I thought it would be too much. Let me know if you want yellow pants on the home combo, though!

As for the retro design, I can't help but to describe the airline's old livery as really ancient-looking. With that said, when applied to a uniform, it's not that too old, due to the number font.

dziTvjU.png

XNVad2L.png

FuhSCx9.png

• Like 1

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - The New Spirit of Africa

HAWAIIAN AIRLINES

Hawaiian owns one of the most beautiful liveries—if not THE most beautiful one—among the world's airlines. Pualani surely is an eye-catcher and it's just fitting that she adorns the primary helmet. I'm unable to replicate the sublimated lei from the current livery, so I just picked out (no pun intended) the flower from Pualani and made a sublimated pattern. When applied on a white background, the flower pattern is in light grey, while when on a dark background, it's in a gradient. The latter is also applied to the road jersey numbers for color balance.

I went with the very first Pualani livery as my reference for the airline's throwback uniform. Note the lack of TV numbers on the jersey, as the dual curved stripes extend to the portion of the shoulder a la Houston Texans' brand new white and red jerseys. This color combo might be familiar with those who followed or witnessed the defunct World Football League, as I indeed drew inspirations from one of its teams, Southern California Sun—even if there's another team that's simply called The Hawaiians.

Since the merger of Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines will now come into fruition, I added the Oneworld logo onto the uniforms (please take note that Alaska Airlines is a Oneworld member).

EvGberd.png

DxTuMCC.png

Ux7roAk.png

• Like 2
  • Love 4

• edjb93 changed the title to Airline Football Uniform Concepts - Hawaii's Hometown Carrier