Redesigning the Redesign of the Redesign of Aston Villa's Crest

MDGP

Recently Aston Villa has undergone a crest redesign that can only be described as a complete and utter debacle. For those out of the loop. Since the 2000s Aston Villa has worn an honestly pretty bad light blue crest with a yellow lion, pictured below on the left. Its color scheme is a textbook example of the concept of contrasting colors and why you should use them. Last season, the club decided it was time to make a change and gave fans the option to vote for two honestly also pretty bad crests. The fans voted on the logo in the middle, which was an attempt to return to their 1980s crest, but without any of the charm. It also led many fans to claim it looked too close to Chelsea's design, which I don't necessarily agree with. However, this logo merely revives the worst, and most generic crests the team has ever worn. Then, after all the backlash, Aston Villa scrapped the new design and a leak of a new new crest which ultimately is just a worse version of the crest that they had all along.

aston%20villa%20new%20logo%20%281%29.jpg

Since nobody at the club seems to have any idea what they're doing, I've decided to fix it for them.

SI052C2.jpeg

My version of the crest is designed to complete the following goals:

• Keep the 2000s era shield. Roundels are boring and overplayed. Just because social media websites use circles doesn't mean everyone needs to design their logos to fit snug inside them. The shield design helps Aston Villa avoid the spurious Chelsea comparisons, gives some continuity between designs, and has historical precedent.

• Claret and Blue as the primary colors. I achieved this by looking to the club's iconic jersey. The popular maroon and light blue jersey design originated with Aston Villa, so I incorporated that design on the shield with two light blue vertical stripes. This also has the added effect of referencing the crest designs of the 1970s and 90s through early 2000s, which featured a series of claret and blue vertical stripes.

• Retain the Redesigned Lion, but in Yellow. The lion from the first redesign is actually great. It reminds me a lot of the Detroit Lions redesign and how it only improved on a logo that was a bit of a blob. However, I made a few changes. First, the lion is flipped to face the left, matching basically every crest the club has ever worn. The lion also returns to yellow since it provides excellent contrast with the design so long as it has the claret outline to prevent blending with the light blue.

• Use the Full Team Name and Slogan. Another issue brought up in the redesign was the use of AVFC. Many fans felt that using Aston Villa would be more helpful in actually identifying the team. I also wanted to bring back the team's slogan "prepared" that had graced the crests for decades and quite frankly is more interesting and unique than the team's founding year.

The final result was the logo above, which I believe updates the team's crest in a unique way while also maintaining historical elements that fans of the club would appreciate. I'd love to hear what you all think!

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Applause 1

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

1 hour ago, MDGP said:

Recently Aston Villa has undergone a crest redesign that can only be described as a complete and utter debacle. For those out of the loop. Since the 2000s Aston Villa has worn an honestly pretty bad light blue crest with a yellow lion, pictured below on the left. Its light blue and yellow color scheme is a textbook example of the concept of contrasting colors and why you should use them. Last season, the club decided it was time to make a change and gave fans the option to vote for two honestly also pretty bad crests. The fans voted on the logo in the middle, which was an attempt to return to their 1980s crest, but without any of the charm. It also led many fans to claim it looked too close to Chelsea's design, which I don't necessarily agree with. However, this logo merely revives the worst, and most generic crests the team has ever worn. Then, after all the backlash, Aston Villa scrapped the new design and a leak of a new new crest which ultimately is just a worse version of the crest that they had all along.

aston%20villa%20new%20logo%20%281%29.jpg

Since nobody at the club seems to have any idea what they're doing, I've decided to fix it for them.

SI052C2.jpeg

My version of the crest is designed to complete the following goals:

• Keep the 2000s era shield. Roundels are boring and overplayed. Just because social media websites use circles doesn't mean everyone needs to design their logos to fit snug inside them. The shield design helps Aston Villa avoid the spurious Chelsea comparisons, gives some continuity between designs, and has historical precedent.

• Claret and Blue as the primary colors. I achieved this by looking to the club's iconic jersey. The popular maroon and light blue jersey design originated with Aston Villa, so I incorporated that design on the shield with two light blue vertical stripes. This also has the added effect of referencing the crest designs of the 1970s and 90s through early 2000s, which featured a series of claret and blue vertical stripes.

• Retain the Redesigned Lion, but in Yellow. The lion from the first redesign is actually great. It reminds me a lot of the Detroit Lions redesign and how it only improved on a logo that was a bit of a blob. However, I made a few changes. First, the lion is flipped to face the left, matching basically every crest the club has ever worn. The lion also returns to yellow since it provides excellent contrast with the design so long as it has the claret outline to prevent blending with the light blue.

• Use the Full Team Name and Slogan. Another issue brought up in the redesign was the use of AVFC. Many fans felt that using Aston Villa would be more helpful in actually identifying the team. I also wanted to bring back the team's slogan "prepared" that had graced the crests for decades and quite frankly is more interesting and unique than the team's founding year.

The final result was the logo above, which I believe updates the team's crest in a unique way while also maintaining historical elements that fans of the club would appreciate. I'd love to hear what you all think!

*chef's kiss infinitely* This is EXACTLY what Aston Villa needs to do for their crest! If only they'd go with this the backlash would at least decrease.

Absolutely beautiful. Keeping with tradition while updating stylistic sensibilities to a modern audience. The use of the resigned lion but while staying yellow (which creates a necessary contrast with the other colors of the crest) was the perfect choice.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC