A Tampa Bay Rays jersey concept for every series win

raysox

Hello! Thought this might be fun to post on the boards. On twitter, there's been a trend of designing a concept for team wins in basketball this past year. But I took @Dbroalexander's idea of posting a jersey every time the Cubs win a series, but made it for my favorite team - the Tampa Bay Rays.

Mostly going to just copy paste my tweets (follow @michaeldanger19) but would love some feedback. You'll see over time these get much better

Series Win 1 vs Colorado
Record: 5-5

Sunshine City uniforms playing on the flag of St. Petersburg

GKpWbiiXkAITa_j?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 14
  • Love 1
  • Applause 2

1 hour ago, raysox said:

Hello! Thought this might be fun to post on the boards. On twitter, there's been a trend of designing a concept for team wins in basketball this past year. But I took @Dbroalexander's idea of posting a jersey every time the Cubs win a series, but made it for my favorite team - the Tampa Bay Rays.

Mostly going to just copy paste my tweets (follow @michaeldanger19) but would love some feedback. You'll see over time these get much better

Series Win 1 vs Colorado
Record: 5-5

Sunshine City uniforms playing on the flag of St. Petersburg

GKpWbiiXkAITa_j?format=jpg&name=large

I don’t know about you…but this woulda been an ELITE City Connect jersey. Excellent work🔥🔥🔥

Thank you so far everyone! I forgot that I had this thread going until posting the 12th one yesterday. I'll post one a day until I'm caught up!

Series Win 2 vs Los Angeles (of Anaheim)
Record: 7-6

Went with a Reverse Retro idea here, officially bringing back the Devil Rays TB and road script paired with navy blue, like the throwbacks use

GK1opr7XgAAwYs6?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 13
  • Love 3

18 hours ago, raysox said:

Series Win 3 vs San Francisco 
Record: 9-7 

Direct inspiration from the SPBL's St. Petersburg Pelicans, that the Rays have thrown back to in previous years. The Pelicans' St. Pete logo is on the cap.

GLJ3VvCXIAAPqnX?format=jpg&name=large

I feel like that hat would look good for some Grand Prix of St Petersburg merch 

• Love 1

On 6/24/2024 at 5:54 AM, raysox said:

Thank you so far everyone! I forgot that I had this thread going until posting the 12th one yesterday. I'll post one a day until I'm caught up!

Went with a Reverse Retro idea here, officially bringing back the Devil Rays TB and road script paired with navy blue, like the throwbacks use

This one is solid. Haven't ever seen Navy Blue and Green together like this before

18 hours ago, FrutigerAero said:

This one is solid. Haven't ever seen Navy Blue and Green together like this before

theyve been using navy with the Devil Rays set since it came back as an alternate, and the color palette really speaks to me!

Series Win 5 vs Chicago (AL)
Record: 19-19

This jumped my queue of jerseys to present a light home version of the hot City Connect uniforms
GNGsaq3WoAAyenh?format=jpg&name=large

I ran into my old boss from when I interned at the Rays this week and talked about the City Connects and one thing he said was Nike pitched a flaming TB, which is super funny because I had made this on my own. He said "it felt too Guy Fieri"

• Like 9

On 6/26/2024 at 9:10 AM, raysox said:

Series Win 4 vs New York (NL) - SWEEP 🧹
Record: 17-18 

Directly inspired by the pattern of an Eagle Ray, featuring a symmetrical RAYS logo in the shape of a sting ray

GM2DnGHW0AA-VLM?format=jpg&name=large

This one is really nice and reminds me of the Royals’ City Connect. I wonder if it might look a little more balanced, though, if one of the letters in the cap logo was white.

Keep up the amazing work!

• Love 1

I've been following along on Twitter, but this is probably a better forum for more in-depth commentary, so I'll go ahead and do so!

• Series Win 1 vs. Colorado ("Sunshine City"): This one remains one of my favorites. I'm a big fan of the St. Pete flag, it would have been a nice direction to go in for the City Connect, although I obviously love what they went with. The navy accents & white base help "tone down" the rainbow effect, & I dig the font, as well. 
  • Series Win 2 vs. Los Angeles AL ("Reverse Retro"): The only thing I would do to improve this one would be to put the full gradient in the stripes (i.e., adding in purple & blue). It'd certainly make for a solid regular alternate. 
  • Series Win 3 vs. San Francisco ("St. Pete Pelicans"): I really dig this one too. The wordmark & cap logo are wonderfully done. I'd be curious what powder blue would look like as the secondary color as opposed to yellow.
  • Series Win 4 vs. New York NL ("Eagle Ray"): This one is definitely a bit more out there, I like the "RAYS" letter logo you created, although I think it kind of clashes with the team's real-life logos. I'd be curious to see you make a "TB" in a similar style, whatever that may look like. 
  • Series Win 5 vs. Chicago AL ("Light City Connect"): I'm not sure I like this as much as the real-life black version, but it still looks good. The dedication to create new "TB" and "Rays" marks is noted & appreciated. Traditionalists may scoff, but I really think the City Connect could work as the inspiration for a full-time Rays set, maybe without the flames.
  • Series Win 6 vs. Boston ("727 Special"): I must have missed this one! It's one of my favorites, for sure. It feels very Brewers City Connect-inspired, so it would have worked nicely for that had the Rays won the series with them this year (sorry about that). Still, your execution of integrating the "727" in the cap mark is done much better than the Brewers' is. 

Looking forward to reviewing the rest as they come along!

• Like 1

On 6/24/2024 at 5:54 AM, raysox said:

My favourite so far (the OG gradient!) but each design you've made so far had been excellent. Keep up the stupendous creative work!

• Love 1

16 hours ago, raysox said:

Series Win 7 vs Toronto
Record:  25-23

A take on the Tampa Smokers uniform with a familiar city name across the chest
GOBsfJ7XoAA6oYR?format=jpg&name=medium

Love this. Could we see it with navy swapped out for brown?

• Series Win 7 vs. Toronto ("Cigar City"): I naturally dig it, as I went with a similar inspiration based on your design for my recent "Cooperstown Collection" concept for the team. Going primarily navy with subtle columbia accents really works here.
  • Series Win 8 vs. Oakland ("SkyRay Bridge"): I really like the unique stripes on this one. They really make the design, and also kind of double in my mind as sun rays.

Keep up the great work!