MLB by MJD7

MJD7

Minnesota Twins

• As I'm sure I've made clear by now, I think the Twins' recent rebrand is essentially perfect, the best they've ever looked, & they're now among the best uniforms in baseball. So, no major changes beyond adding a home alternate cap inspired by the batting helmet.

2a6qNeD.png 4IU2Pxd.png iyJoJKG.png Wemyg6B.png

• I tried to have my cake & eat it too with the City Connect, combining the baby blue often-requested by Twins fans (including myself) with the 10,000 Lakes theme.

nARDIVL.png

• Like 10
  • Love 1

I didn't like the Twins rebrand nearly as much as you. It's a nice look for sure, a fresh modern update, but I think there were a few misses laced in there. The wordmark on the home uniform could have used some blue outline. The road M cap feels unnecessary and doesn't look very "Twinsy" to me. The cream "Twin Cities" alt feels pretty bland without any red, and it strikes me as almost being more like a City Connect. I love that they modernized the TC logo to get rid of those little "hooks" on the T, it looks much sleeker now, but I thought it was weird that they added those hooks to the jersey numbers.

Here is what my perfect Twins set would look like

HOME: basically the 1960s look that they revived as a throwback in the 2010s. White or cream with blue pinstripes and a cursive "Twins" wordmark across the chest. I would try swapping the colors on the wordmark so that it would be red with blue outline instead of blue with red outline since that would match better with the other uniforms.

baseball-player-harmon-killebrew.jpg?s=6

twww.jpg?v=57e8061b2038d609da26e467de5dd

ROAD: the 1990s-2000s look, grey with blue pinstripes and "MINNESOTA" in red across the chest

0923_240cb_Torii_Hunter.jpg

HOME ALT: I think the Twins' TC logo is one of if not the best in the entire sport, and it deserves to be the focus of a jersey. The Twins home alt should be white with the TC logo on the chest. Maybe with some blue and/or red piping. This is the closest they've ever come to this look. The TC on the chest is beautiful, but all that red is so garish to me.

20160107_bjh_0069_1454014505861_124086_v

ROAD ALT: 1970s-1980s powder blue. It's perfect. And I love the tri-color cap.

1978-0521-rod-carew-001349997jpg.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store for the Milwaukee Brewers tomorrow, another team that recently did a sort of "modern classic" rebrand that was very well received.

On 7/15/2024 at 1:03 PM, lilleff512 said:

I didn't like the Twins rebrand nearly as much as you. It's a nice look for sure, a fresh modern update, but I think there were a few misses laced in there.

I'll respond to each individual point (just for the sake of discussion):

The wordmark on the home uniform could have used some blue outline.

I've tried giving the new script a navy outline, but it just hasn't worked well, in my view. When it first leaked that the script might be red with no outline, I honestly didn't believe it at first, but quickly grew to love it. Having no outline really allows the red to "pop," in a way that containing it with a navy outline simply doesn't allow for. Not that red outlined in navy is a bad look by any means, some of the best identities in baseball employ it, but when 5 out of 6 of the other navy & red teams go that route, I'm happy with the Twins doing something a little different.

The road M cap feels unnecessary and doesn't look very "Twinsy" to me.

I personally love the new M cap, but I get that. A lot of Twins fans have seemed to share a similar sentiment. I never really liked the old, bubbly M cap, I think the only reason fans are nostalgic for it is because of the 2 World Series wins (which, to be fair, is a significant enough reason). I've just never liked how it looks design-wise, so this new one is a nice change of pace. 

The cream "Twin Cities" alt feels pretty bland without any red, and it strikes me as almost being more like a City Connect.

I thought that it needed a bit of red when it was first released too, but now I love it with just navy. Don't get me wrong, I love the cream pinstripe throwback, but there's something about the clean & simple navy & cream that I've grown to love. It's probably still my least favorite of the 4 jerseys, but that's only because I love the other 3 so much. As you alluded to, I think it's a much better "City Connect" than our actual one.

I love that they modernized the TC logo to get rid of those little "hooks" on the T, it looks much sleeker now, but I thought it was weird that they added those hooks to the jersey numbers.

I did find it a bit strange that they kept the "hooks" on the jersey numbers as well, even though it looks unmistakably "Twins," but those hooks are still present in the "S" of the current away wordmark, so it fits.

Here is what my perfect Twins set would look like

HOME: basically the 1960s look that they revived as a throwback in the 2010s. White or cream with blue pinstripes and a cursive "Twins" wordmark across the chest. I would try swapping the colors on the wordmark so that it would be red with blue outline instead of blue with red outline since that would match better with the other uniforms.

ROAD: the 1990s-2000s look, grey with blue pinstripes and "MINNESOTA" in red across the chest

HOME ALT: I think the Twins' TC logo is one of if not the best in the entire sport, and it deserves to be the focus of a jersey. The Twins home alt should be white with the TC logo on the chest. Maybe with some blue and/or red piping. This is the closest they've ever come to this look. The TC on the chest is beautiful, but all that red is so garish to me.

ROAD ALT: 1970s-1980s powder blue. It's perfect. And I love the tri-color cap.

Just for the sake of it, here is what your "perfect Twins set" would look like, albeit with the modern logos & wordmarks. I naturally don't like it as much as what they actually went with, but I think a lot of more firmly traditionalist Twins fans would be pleased with something like this.

Xi9LttX.png sLQKL8i.png vZXaF0Q.png lybCsFR.png

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Milwaukee Brewers

• Like the Twins (and Padres), the Brewers' 2020s rebrand was an absolute home run. No major changes beyond putting the City Connect sleeve striping on the navy alternate.

mzOyLNj.png fooza7r.png 5LbBRsz.png hfIQHm1.png

• The Brew Crew's City Connect is alright, but could be great with the addition of powder blue pants and a tri-color hat with a People's Flag of Milwaukee ball-in-glove logo.

Yz8jQhT.png

• Like 9
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Just for the sake of it, here is what your "perfect Twins set" would look like, albeit with the modern logos & wordmarks. I naturally don't like it as much as what they actually went with, but I think a lot of more firmly traditionalist Twins fans would be pleased with something like this.

Xi9LttX.png sLQKL8i.png vZXaF0Q.png lybCsFR.png

Wow, these look spectacular. I'm really impressed by your ability to conjure my thoughts into an actual concept image so quickly and effectively. Thank you so much for humoring me. I hope it's as fun for you as it is for me.

• Like 1

I agree with you on the Brewers redesign, it's basically perfect to me. The only thing I don't like is the navy alternate, but it's really hard to get me on board with any solid colored alternate top.

I really love what you did with the City Connect. The matching blue pants are a needed upgrade and the new hat you've made is gorgeous, much better than what they actually wear.

My one qualm with the Brewers is something that would probably be blasphemous to most of their fans.

I love when teams from the same city have matching or similar color schemes the way my Mets and Knicks both wear orange and blue. Pittsburgh is the most obvious example of this with the black and yellow, but there are some other instances of it too. Teams Washington DC tend to go for the patriotic color scheme which makes sense for the nation's capital. Atlanta teams tend to go with a red and black color scheme. Seattle teams use a lot of greens and blues albeit in some different shades. And so on and so forth.

For Milwaukee, they've got the Packers who wear dark green and gold/yellow and the Bucks who wear dark green and cream. So I think it would be neat if the Brewers used a dark green instead of navy blue. The Brewers added some green trim in the 1990s, but it was still a predominantly navy blue look (also the logos and wordmarks were much worse than what they have now). I'm not sure what shade of gold would work better for the Brewers, whether it should be an "athletic gold" like what the Brewers and Packers wear now, or a more metallic sort of "wheat gold" like what the Brewers wore in the 2000s and 2010s before their redesign. I lean ever so slightly towards the latter because 1) it would sit somewhere in the middle of the Packers' yellow/gold and the Bucks' cream and 2) the A's already own the green and yellow color scheme in MLB.

After a run of a few teams who already have really good looks, I'm excited to see what you do with the Marlins tomorrow, since they're a team that I think is ripe for a facelift.

Happy All-Star Game day! Based on a combination of the Futures Game and real-life uniforms, here is what I would do for this year's game (these would obviously be reserved for the Home Run Derby). 

UumLKwP.png 07yXqIj.png

• Like 7

On 7/14/2024 at 2:34 PM, MJD7 said:

New York Mets

• The Mets set has grown on me, so there are minimal changes to the main set.
  • I reverted the black alternate to be more of a true throwback.

UBG9dlh.png tqR4GsY.png gGP3fPU.png oH5Vaj4.png

• For the City Connect, I went with a black hat, so that the magenta color can really shine a little bit more.

9KPZ7oE.png

Holy. Cow.
I thank you for simply bringing back the original look of the black alts, I hate how they minimalized it over the past couple of years
Reading through the Mets debate, I really do enjoy that black alt with the New York cursive writing!
Can't wait to see them all finished

-Dabrow (LGM)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lilleff512 said:

I agree with you on the Brewers redesign, it's basically perfect to me. The only thing I don't like is the navy alternate, but it's really hard to get me on board with any solid colored alternate top.

I really love what you did with the City Connect. The matching blue pants are a needed upgrade and the new hat you've made is gorgeous, much better than what they actually wear.

Thanks!

I love when teams from the same city have matching or similar color schemes the way my Mets and Knicks both wear orange and blue. Pittsburgh is the most obvious example of this with the black and yellow, but there are some other instances of it too. Teams Washington DC tend to go for the patriotic color scheme which makes sense for the nation's capital. Atlanta teams tend to go with a red and black color scheme. Seattle teams use a lot of greens and blues albeit in some different shades. And so on and so forth.

Yeah, I love when cities do that, too. I've thought about doing a series like that, maybe I'll get around to it at some point.

For Milwaukee, they've got the Packers who wear dark green and gold/yellow and the Bucks who wear dark green and cream. So I think it would be neat if the Brewers used a dark green instead of navy blue. The Brewers added some green trim in the 1990s, but it was still a predominantly navy blue look (also the logos and wordmarks were much worse than what they have now). I'm not sure what shade of gold would work better for the Brewers, whether it should be an "athletic gold" like what the Brewers and Packers wear now, or a more metallic sort of "wheat gold" like what the Brewers wore in the 2000s and 2010s before their redesign. I lean ever so slightly towards the latter because 1) it would sit somewhere in the middle of the Packers' yellow/gold and the Bucks' cream and 2) the A's already own the green and yellow color scheme in MLB.

I do think a forest green could look really good for the Brewers. I might save that idea for an eventual Redesigns series. For now, here's the Brewers' set with Packers' green instead of navy:

TLiIEb0.png MG7vU0t.png bxLGvTu.png GpTsUI3.png

As far as which shade of gold to use, I tend to side toward the athletic gold, since it actually looks closer to the color of beer. With the A's going back to kelly green in my designs, it wouldn't be the worst thign in the world to have two green & yellow teams in the league.

17 hours ago, dabrowskiego said:

Holy. Cow.
I thank you for simply bringing back the original look of the black alts, I hate how they minimalized it over the past couple of years
Reading through the Mets debate, I really do enjoy that black alt with the New York cursive writing!
Can't wait to see them all finished

-Dabrow (LGM)

Thanks!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Miami Marlins

• I tried to split the difference as best I could between "Miami blue" and teal, resulting in a true aqua color that feels quintissentially Miami.
  • I also added in a throwback-style vest in the new colors, dropping the road gray.

PbMMeoU.png wKk7BDZ.png 921xBn5.png CcE94Pe.png

• The City Connect retains the "Miami pink" & "Marlins aquamarine" of the main set, and I added in the 1950's AAA Miami Marlins logo for the cap and sleeve patch, since I felt it fits with the overall aesthetic.

OGvTy61.png

• Like 8

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

Thanks!

Yeah, I love when cities do that, too. I've thought about doing a series like that, maybe I'll get around to it at some point.

I do think a forest green could look really good for the Brewers. I might save that idea for an eventual Redesigns series. For now, here's the Brewers' set with Packers' green instead of navy:

TLiIEb0.png MG7vU0t.png bxLGvTu.png GpTsUI3.png

As far as which shade of gold to use, I tend to side toward the athletic gold, since it actually looks closer to the color of beer. With the A's going back to kelly green in my designs, it wouldn't be the worst thign in the world to have two green & yellow teams in the league.

Thanks!

Amazing, it looks so good I even like the solid color alternate top! Well done!

• Like 1

On 7/16/2024 at 1:23 PM, MJD7 said:

Milwaukee Brewers

• Like the Twins (and Padres), the Brewers' 2020s rebrand was an absolute home run. No major changes beyond putting the City Connect sleeve striping on the navy alternate.

mzOyLNj.png fooza7r.png 5LbBRsz.png hfIQHm1.png

• The Brew Crew's City Connect is alright, but could be great with the addition of powder blue pants and a tri-color hat with a People's Flag of Milwaukee ball-in-glove logo.

Yz8jQhT.png

That Brewers City Connect set is so slick! I love how you incorporated the colors + design of the Milwaukee Flag into the primary logo; really takes that design to the next level. Going all powder blue is definitely the move as well. 

• Love 1

22 hours ago, lilleff512 said:

Amazing, it looks so good I even like the solid color alternate top! Well done!

Thanks!

6 hours ago, mahnkej said:

That Brewers City Connect set is so slick! I love how you incorporated the colors + design of the Milwaukee Flag into the primary logo; really takes that design to the next level. Going all powder blue is definitely the move as well. 

Thank you very much! Yeah, I think those simple adjustments would take what I think is a kind of mediocre uniform and elevate it to be among the best.

Los Angeles Dodgers

• I made the "Dodgers" away uniform more of a throwback by adding stripes and white outlines, so that it's more distinct from the "Los Angeles" road uniform.

8FOcuPT.png s4PlWF2.png rYW1302.png CEUX7Aj.png

• I stuck a bit closer to the Dodgers' actual City Connect this time around. I imagine this is roughly what the Dodgers would look like if they changed their uniforms more often over time upon moving to LA.

1jeytvC.png

• Like 9
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

Los Angeles Dodgers

• I made the "Dodgers" away uniform more of a throwback by adding stripes and white outlines, so that it's more distinct from the "Los Angeles" road uniform.

8FOcuPT.png s4PlWF2.png rYW1302.png CEUX7Aj.png

• I stuck a bit closer to the Dodgers' actual City Connect this time around. I imagine this is roughly what the Dodgers would look like if they changed their uniforms more often over time upon moving to LA.

1jeytvC.png

The Dodgers should have only home and away uniforms in my opinion, just like the Yankees. I prefer the Los Angeles script on the aways but I think I like that city connect one more than the official script. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

The Dodgers should have only home and away uniforms in my opinion, just like the Yankees. I prefer the Los Angeles script on the aways but I think I like that city connect one more than the official script. 

Yeah, that's a fair opinion. My thinking was more that if the Dodgers have  to have two road grays, this is how I would handle it. I didn't think I'd like  the thinner script as much as I do. I might have to save that idea for a future redesign series.

Los Angeles Angels

• I cleaned up the logos and wordmarks by removing the Western "spikes" and bevel, and I added athletic gold back in as an accent color for the halo.
  • I went with sleeve stripes similar to the old California Angels.

2uSN6VV.png EiBu2xg.png tX61dvg.png

• Their City Connect is my absolute favorite, so no real changes.

xB7OWc0.png

• Like 8

Nice job on the Angels. Everyone knows that MLB has too many teams who wear red and blue. The Angels are one of the easiest teams to fix in that regard by making them red and yellow/gold instead of red and blue. I'm glad to see you've taken that path here, but I would maybe try going a little bit further with even more gold and less blue.

Other than being yet another red and blue team, the only other "problems" with the Angels are 1) the road jersey should say "Anaheim" instead of "Angels," but that's their problem, not your problem and 2) the red text gets lost in the red background and becomes very hard to read. On the red alternate jersey, I think I've made my opinions on "softball tops" clear enough already, so I would just get rid of that one altogether lol (if they have to have an alternate jersey, then I might try doing one with the halo A cap insignia on the chest). But for the hats, I would try going with a white front panel (similar to the City Connect or your Blue Jays design) so that the red A and gold halo stand out a bit more.

Keep up the great work! I'm really enjoying following along with this series!

• Like 1

On 7/19/2024 at 4:02 PM, lilleff512 said:

Nice job on the Angels. Everyone knows that MLB has too many teams who wear red and blue. The Angels are one of the easiest teams to fix in that regard by making them red and yellow/gold instead of red and blue. I'm glad to see you've taken that path here, but I would maybe try going a little bit further with even more gold and less blue.

I very  nearly went with a darker red as the accent instead of navy, inspired by @colinturner95's wonderful Angels design, but I just couldn't get the maroon to be dark enough to contrast the way navy does. Going with just red & yellow would be nice, but it doesn't work all that well with the current wordmarks & logo set.

Other than being yet another red and blue team, the only other "problems" with the Angels are 1) the road jersey should say "Anaheim" instead of "Angels," but that's their problem, not your problem and 2) the red text gets lost in the red background and becomes very hard to read. On the red alternate jersey, I think I've made my opinions on "softball tops" clear enough already, so I would just get rid of that one altogether lol (if they have to have an alternate jersey, then I might try doing one with the halo A cap insignia on the chest). But for the hats, I would try going with a white front panel (similar to the City Connect or your Blue Jays design) so that the red A and gold halo stand out a bit more.

I actually like the Angels being "Los Angeles" as opposed to Anaheim, it has the fun quirk of the Spanish translation being "The Angels Angels," and it just sounds better, to me.

As for the red text on the red background, I used to not like it, like most, but it's honestly grown on me, it's an element unique to them. I think the abundance of outlines helps it to be more readable.

I had thought about adding a white front-panel cap as an alternate option, inspired by the City Connect and the 2014 All-Star Game, where Trout won MVP (and I was in attendance). Here's a look:

9pHfJFm.png

Keep up the great work! I'm really enjoying following along with this series!

Thank you very much!

• Like 2