College Football by MJD7

MJD7

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

Assuming you’re a Maryland fan (since I believe you’re an O’s fan, as well), I feel like you have to admit that the Terps have had much, much gaudier uniforms in their actual past. 

It’s totally fine for you to not like my design, but saying so without offering any suggestions for what you would do differently (other than, I’m guessing, ditching the flag motif entirely) doesn’t really help me much.

Okay yes, drop the flag design entirely or at least minimize it. Their current uniforms are great, but you could probably get inspiration from their former practice helmet. Why not try a flag inspired UCLA shoulder stripe?

1 hour ago, Nickishim2838 said:

Don't Mind the Flag design on the pants and shoulders, and the Black Alternate looks good, but one thing that has always irked me are the Flag helmets, Only because it over indulges on the Design to much, I think a more cohesive look would to add the Red and White "Terps script" Helmets. 

I've never liked how Maryland's flag helmet has the "wavy" flag texture, making an already busy helmet even busier. I think the version without the texture is much better. I've honestly never been big on the "Terps" script though, I'd much rather put the actual turtle on there, to be honest.

31 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Okay yes, drop the flag design entirely or at least minimize it. Their current uniforms are great, but you could probably get inspiration from their former practice helmet

To be honest, I'm not big on Maryland's throwback-inspired current set, I think the black stripe is just too dark compared to the other two on the sleeves, to where it sticks out in a bad way.

1 hour ago, Nickishim2838 said:

and If you could, I'd like too see what the The Flag Stripe on the pants would look like above the Shoulders sort of how UCLA does it

31 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Why not try a flag inspired UCLA shoulder stripe?

@NH4 already utilized that premise for his Maryland concept, and I think he executed it much better than I could, to be honest. (Which reminds me, I wanted to thank him for sending me his template, which I used as the basis for mine. His NCAA series is another great one to check out, too!)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I've never liked how Maryland's flag helmet has the "wavy" flag texture, making an already busy helmet even busier. I think the version without the texture is much better. I've honestly never been big on the "Terps" script though, I'd much rather put the actual turtle on there, to be honest.

To be honest, I'm not big on Maryland's throwback-inspired current set, I think the black stripe is just too dark compared to the other two on the sleeves, to where it sticks out in a bad way.

@NH4 already utilized that premise for his Maryland concept, and I think he executed it much better than I could, to be honest. (Which reminds me, I wanted to thank him for sending me his template, which I used as the basis for mine. His NCAA series is another great one to check out, too!)

How about Oregon State style?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

How about Oregon State style?

Maybe, but would that be any less gaudy than putting the flag in the sleeve cap? I'll try to see if I can make something more throwback-oriented that works better for me.

6 hours ago, Saturn said:

Literally perfect.

Thanks!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Maybe, but would that be any less gaudy than putting the flag in the sleeve cap? I'll try to see if I can make something more throwback-oriented that works better for me.

Thanks!

You could make one side black/yellow & the other side red/white

I can't stand the over-flagged Maryland set. I think in general you've done a fantastic job with these concepts (in fact, the Michigan State set you just posted is amazing) but your Maryland set is gaudy in a way that feels... amateur, for lack of a better term. If you're going to stick with a flag motif, perhaps try an alternating design, with one sleeve cap containing the Calvert banner (checkers) and the other cap with the Crossland banner? Alternatively, I think "ghosting" it like you did on your black alternate might be a good compromise as well.

The biggest offender might be the pants stripe, actually - I think a more natural pattern would be great instead of just placing the two banners over and over. It gets old and doesn't read very well from a distance. I like the way you placed the "M" logo on the black helmet, maybe you can stretch that theme to "ghosted" flag elements with traditional school striping/logos on top?

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

Great work so far on this series, especially with East Carolina and Temple. You made each school really exciting. I know right now that the talk of this thread is about Maryland and the flag being too much. The only place where it's maybe "gaudy" is the helmet. I like the repeated design on the pants, and the sleeve cuffs use the flag well. The helmets, using the M and a subtle flag design like on the Black Alternate or plain, might be the way to go. 

• Love 1

jOfO5Rh.pngaYLRFMy.png1FNdgQe.png

On 10/5/2024 at 11:46 AM, DCarp1231 said:

You could make one side black/yellow & the other side red/white

As I'm sure you know, the Terps have tried that before, too, and I would say that was pretty gaudy, as well. 

12 hours ago, sky1324 said:

I can't stand the over-flagged Maryland set. I think in general you've done a fantastic job with these concepts (in fact, the Michigan State set you just posted is amazing) but your Maryland set is gaudy in a way that feels... amateur, for lack of a better term. If you're going to stick with a flag motif, perhaps try an alternating design, with one sleeve cap containing the Calvert banner (checkers) and the other cap with the Crossland banner? Alternatively, I think "ghosting" it like you did on your black alternate might be a good compromise as well.

The biggest offender might be the pants stripe, actually - I think a more natural pattern would be great instead of just placing the two banners over and over. It gets old and doesn't read very well from a distance. I like the way you placed the "M" logo on the black helmet, maybe you can stretch that theme to "ghosted" flag elements with traditional school striping/logos on top?

miscellaneous-speed_bump-visits-pitcher_s-mounds-catcher-CG177601_low.jpg

Clearly, the Terps' set has not been popular. Maryland was a difficult one because, in my opinion, they've never really had a great uniform. Here is my revised attempt, based off of this (late '90s?) uniform that I actually really like:

0Yf3NPm.png SQhg4bn.png uQRCGNy.png

This is about as restrained as it's gonna get for Maryland, I think. I also updated the logo to include the old flag instead of the banner, inspired by @NH4's version. I've never liked how the banner sort of "cuts off" the flag design elements. 

10 hours ago, NOLAPelicans23 said:

Great work so far on this series, especially with East Carolina and Temple. You made each school really exciting. I know right now that the talk of this thread is about Maryland and the flag being too much. The only place where it's maybe "gaudy" is the helmet. I like the repeated design on the pants, and the sleeve cuffs use the flag well. The helmets, using the M and a subtle flag design like on the Black Alternate or plain, might be the way to go. 

Thank you, I appreciate that. Part of the reason I included the flag in the way that I did is that I wanted to include the whole  flag wherever possible, I've never liked how their previous sets have cut it off or only used certain portions of it. In a way, doing that makes the design more busy, in my opinion, than it would be if they just used the flag as-is.

I can definitely understand why people would think it's too busy, my thinking was just that Maryland can afford to be a team that is a little busier, almost acting as an "Oregon of the East," compared to other teams who ought to remain more traditional.

• Like 5
  • Love 3

I like the updated Maryland set! I happen to be a big fan of the Terps script set but I understand why you might dislike it. I enjoy the change to the logo as well.

I happen to actively dislike the Maryland flag (due to a variety of reasons but the main one is that the Crossland banner was the historic symbol of Maryland Confederates) so I prefer when Maryland concepts avoid it. I agree that they can be an "Oregon of the East", but the flag theme in particular doesn't do it for me.

All that to say I've been thoroughly enjoying this series (Maryland is the first set I actively disliked) and I'm looking forward to seeing if you make any changes for USC.

• Like 3

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 9/21/2024 at 4:10 PM, MJD7 said:

I was hesitant at first, because I wasn't aware of Syracuse ever using royal blue, but apparently as late as the early 2000's the shade of blue they used was essentially a dark royal blue, so here's a look:

rHcyIOV.png eDgIEfK.png NrZG8sO.png

I wouldn't mind it, to tie in more with the other New York teams.

Given how similar Syracuse and Illinois tend to look IRL, this is a really good way to create a more unique identity. This was a great suggestion. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2024 at 9:50 PM, MJD7 said:

Thanks, differentiating Illinois and Syracuse was definitely a priority. I had this idea for Syracuse after I posted them, which is based on their basketball uniforms:

ucD3IHD.png Z1yWzQb.png fHtBivz.png

I think Illinois' brief single-color numbers could actually work better for Syracuse.

If you could adapt this to the blue set in royal, it would make a great alternate. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MJD7 said:

As I'm sure you know, the Terps have tried that before, too, and I would say that was pretty gaudy, as well. 

miscellaneous-speed_bump-visits-pitcher_s-mounds-catcher-CG177601_low.jpg

Clearly, the Terps' set has not been popular. Maryland was a difficult one because, in my opinion, they've never really had a great uniform. Here is my revised attempt, based off of this (late '90s?) uniform that I actually really like:

This is about as restrained as it's gonna get for Maryland, I think. I also updated the logo to include the old flag instead of the banner, inspired by @NH4's version. I've never liked how the banner sort of "cuts off" the flag design elements. 

Thank you, I appreciate that. Part of the reason I included the flag in the way that I did is that I wanted to include the whole  flag wherever possible, I've never liked how their previous sets have cut it off or only used certain portions of it. In a way, doing that makes the design more busy, in my opinion, than it would be if they just used the flag as-is.

I can definitely understand why people would think it's too busy, my thinking was just that Maryland can afford to be a team that is a little busier, almost acting as an "Oregon of the East," compared to other teams who ought to remain more traditional.

Love it ❤, Perfect blend of creative elements while maintaining simplicity and old school, Definitely one of your best designs on this thread

• Love 1

5 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Knowing what you were going for, makes me like it even more. With a flag as bold as Maryland, I feel like the school should be loud and out there with the uniforms. Especially because Maryland has 4 colors to balance with none really serving as a secondary color. The re-do still looks good, but it loses that punch of the other one.  I don't want to keep on piling on though with Maryland. This is a fantastic thread, and I am excited for what you create.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

jOfO5Rh.pngaYLRFMy.png1FNdgQe.png

22 hours ago, sky1324 said:

I like the updated Maryland set! I happen to be a big fan of the Terps script set but I understand why you might dislike it. I enjoy the change to the logo as well.

I happen to actively dislike the Maryland flag (due to a variety of reasons but the main one is that the Crossland banner was the historic symbol of Maryland Confederates) so I prefer when Maryland concepts avoid it. I agree that they can be an "Oregon of the East", but the flag theme in particular doesn't do it for me.

All that to say I've been thoroughly enjoying this series (Maryland is the first set I actively disliked) and I'm looking forward to seeing if you make any changes for USC.

Thank you, I actually didn't know that about the Maryland flag. 

I don't mean to spoil it for you, but I can't say I changed much for the Trojans. They have one of the classic sets of college football. 

18 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

If you could adapt this to the blue set in royal, it would make a great alternate. 

Like this?

k54qzS3.png

17 hours ago, Nickishim2838 said:

Love it ❤, Perfect blend of creative elements while maintaining simplicity and old school, Definitely one of your best designs on this thread

Thanks!

16 hours ago, NOLAPelicans23 said:

Knowing what you were going for, makes me like it even more. With a flag as bold as Maryland, I feel like the school should be loud and out there with the uniforms. Especially because Maryland has 4 colors to balance with none really serving as a secondary color. The re-do still looks good, but it loses that punch of the other one.  I don't want to keep on piling on though with Maryland. This is a fantastic thread, and I am excited for what you create.

Yeah, I will say, I still like the flag set more, myself. I do think the updated logo is an improvement, and I thinned down the outlines of the numbers a bit, which matches the logo better. Other than that, I agree that the update does lose a lot of that "punch," as you said.

• Applause 1

On 9/24/2024 at 1:47 PM, MJD7 said:

Virginia Tech Hokies

I loved their recent uniforms with the cool & unique shoulder stripe, I'm not sure why they got rid of them. 

I kept the contrasting sleeve numbers from the new uniforms, though, & went with the Pro Combat font which fits with the sharp, angular logo.

3m4Uj6w.png 3xhzZNi.png Xkqt6bO.png

VT got rid of the stripes for a couple reasons. Firstly the stripes were associated with Justin Fuente's failed tenure as head coach, and secondly, the reception to the Vick-era throwbacks VT used in 2021 were very positive - resulting in a plainer uniform. My only gripe with the new unis is that we don't have an orange set.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Thank you, I actually didn't know that about the Maryland flag. 

I don't mean to spoil it for you, but I can't say I changed much for the Trojans. They have one of the classic sets of college football. 

Like this?

k54qzS3.png

Thanks!

Yeah, I will say, I still like the flag set more, myself. I do think the updated logo is an improvement, and I thinned down the outlines of the numbers a bit, which matches the logo better. Other than that, I agree that the update does lose a lot of that "punch," as you said.

Yes - if you went with v1.2 of your Syracuse design with the royal blue AND did this alternate it would be a great set. You get a unique twist with the royal colour while maintaining a traditional set. Then you tie in with the basketball team with a unique look. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2024 at 1:05 PM, Redkoat64 said:

VT got rid of the stripes for a couple reasons. Firstly the stripes were associated with Justin Fuente's failed tenure as head coach, and secondly, the reception to the Vick-era throwbacks VT used in 2021 were very positive - resulting in a plainer uniform. My only gripe with the new unis is that we don't have an orange set.

That makes sense. I still love the design, I wish it had at least a bit longer of a shelf life. I did include the Vick era contrasting numbers, but I find the rest of that set to be too plain.

On 10/7/2024 at 3:09 PM, Karnage84 said:

Yes - if you went with v1.2 of your Syracuse design with the royal blue AND did this alternate it would be a great set. You get a unique twist with the royal colour while maintaining a traditional set. Then you tie in with the basketball team with a unique look. 

Here are the other two jerseys, just to round out the set:

vVkxRSL.png JXUExka.png

• Like 1