Steelers/Dolphins postponed

mjrbaseball

MIAMI, Sept. 25, 2004 (AP) -- Hurricane Jeanne forced the postponement of Sunday's game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Miami Dolphins. The game has not been rescheduled.

The decision to postpone the game was made after the Dolphins discussed the matter with the NFL, Dolphins president Eddie Jones said. Team and league officials were monitoring the hurricane.

"After conferring with local authorities and the NFL, in the best interest of public safety it was decided that under no circumstances will the game against the Pittsburgh Steelers be played on Sunday afternoon," Jones said in a statement.

"The Commissioner's office has asked the two teams to consider the larger public safety issues to determine when the game can best be played. A final decision regarding the revised time and date of the game jointly will be made in consultation with the league, the Steelers, and government officials as the hurricane track becomes clearer."

The Steelers flew in to South Florida on Friday, a day early, because of the hurricane.

Hurricane Jeanne is the latest in a string of weather problems that have plagued the Dolphins this season.

Miami's opening game against Tennessee was moved up one day and played on a Saturday because of Hurricane Ivan.

One week earlier, the NFL forced the Dolphins to travel to New Orleans for an exhibition game after players balked at leaving their families while in the path of Hurricane Frances.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen one single NFL game postponed before (Other than every week two game being postponed following 9/11). I could be wrong.

This makes it really interesting -- Both teams have different bye weeks and it's not as though you can just fit the game in in the middle of the week. Yet to push the playoffs and Super Bowl back because of one game wouldn't be practical. How could they possibly schedule it for later? Couldn't they just move the game to another stadium like Carolina, who has a bye week and make it a similar situation to that of the Chargers last year with the wild fire and having to play in Arizona?

IUe6Hvh.png

UPDATE ... This just in:

AP-Steelers-Dolphins (Tops)

+----------------+

|ASSOCIATED PRESS|

+----------------+

Sports: Steelers-Dolphins rescheduled

Dolphins and Steelers in prime time

MIAMI (AP) - Hurricane Jeanne has forced the Miami Dolphins and

Pittsburgh Steelers to move their game to Sunday evening.

The teams and the league have agreed to shift the starting time

from one p.m. E-D-T to 8:30 p.m. E-D-T because the hurricane is

expected to bring significant wind and rain to South Florida late

Saturday night and early Sunday morning.

And the Dolphins caution that the game time could change again.

Jeanne is the fourth hurricane to affect major sporting events

in Florida in the last six weeks, joining Charley, Frances and

Ivan.

The Dolphins have been affected by the last three. Their season

opener against Tennessee was moved up one day and played on a

Saturday because of Ivan. One week earlier, the N-F-L forced the

Dolphins to travel to New Orleans for an exhibition game after

players balked at leaving their families while in the path of

Hurricane Frances.

AP-NY-09-25-04 1903EDT

CK3ZP8E.jpg

hmm that oughta be intresting, I wonder what playing condiotions will be like at night after the storm goes through.

I don't think that would be an issue because they have a pretty good, extensive drainage system under the field.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived